Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because it's still early and only the start of year 3. Also, Butch and company are excellent recruiters. But if the offense starts to fall flat and the great offensive recruits we have are not being utilized to their best potential then the backlash starts. High school kids will notice. We should all agree that we want to this offense reach max potential. That's why this hire is so critical. Because MB was with Jones for so long and he only lasted 2 seasons in the SEC..

It could very well happen that way, but there is a flip side to that coin. Debord is not a hot name, but maybe Butch knows what he is doing in regards to his offense and picking out the best fit for his offense, and in return the offense does better. Are biggest weakness was the Oline and bringing in a guy like Debord who has extensive experience at coaching that position may be what the doctor ordered for this offense. Who knows

Reactions: 1 person
There is a long thread on the Michigan scout forum in response to a question that a Tennessee fan posted about DeBord. They basically agree that they should have won a lot more than they did when he was there. They even shared the national title with Nebraska, and they blame the play calling in the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. He got ultra conservative and they almost blew the game. The Michigan offenses were super talented under DeBord. Brady, Henne, Henson, Griese at QB. Multiple first rounders on the OL. First round WR's, RB's, but they just out-talented people.

But if you want to like the hire then you just look at his w-l, his NC, his NFL experience, etc. I think when Fulmer interviewed him it was a great hire. IDK now

There is a long thread on the Michigan scout forum in response to a question that a Tennessee fan posted about DeBord. They basically agree that they should have won a lot more than they did when he was there. They even shared the national title with Nebraska, and they blame the play calling in the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. He got ultra conservative and they almost blew the game. The Michigan offenses were super talented under DeBord. Brady, Henne, Henson, Griese at QB. Multiple first rounders on the OL. First round WR's, RB's, but they just out-talented people.

If you have those quarterbacks plus first round OL and your offense is stagnant, than that says a whole lot. I want to get on board with this, but the other names are so much better. Is he interviewing these people or is this just BS to pacify us?

Whether its right or wrong butch will catch serious hell around Knoxville if he hires Debord. I'm gonna sit back and watch. I don't know how I feel haha.

Considering Hubbs said if Butch needs money he'll get it, I just fail to see how he'd settle like this. It would be a rather extreme case of seeing something that no one else is seeing.

Just about all the UT staff deserves a raise IF they have not already got one. Now if Butch hires a guy at OC for say 900 grand, I see there being serious issues. CJJ and CSS especially would be needing massive bumps in pay for their body of work thus far. I can't see Hart doubling CJJ salary to keep him just ahead of the New OC walking in the door. IMO Butch will be making a hire in that 500-600 grand a year range. Jmo

Their HC played a factor in conservative play calling...just like Fulmer played a factor in some of Cutcliffe's conservative play calling back in the day.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, it's DeBord. The other names are just that--names. I would be surprised if he's actually scheduling sit down interviews with anyone. It's probably all just for show at this point. Butch is on the road recruiting and his new OC is in the wings in Ann Arbor.

Disappointing if true. It would have been better (assuming it's debord) if CBJ came out and announced him as OC last week. Avoid the rampant speculation and say, "we thank Bajakian for his time and service (blah blah blah). As a head coach, I have contingencies in place (etc etc). I'm pleased to announce DeBord as our next OC (give spiel about DeBord being a great fit etc)."

Just about all the UT staff deserves a raise IF they have not already got one. Now if Butch hires a guy at OC for say 900 grand, I see there being serious issues. CJJ and CSS especially would be needing massive bumps in pay for their body of work thus far. I can't see Hart doubling CJJ salary to keep him just ahead of the New OC walking in the door. IMO Butch will be making a hire in that 500-600 grand a year range. Jmo

So your opinion is better than Hubbs who is about as in the know as a reporter can get in covering the vols, cool.

Sometimes it's the HC making them go conservative. Carr was like Fulmer. We would do the same thing even with Cutcliffe because Fulmer wanted to run clock out. Cutcliffe on his own doesn't take the foot off the gas.

I won't be excited at all about the hire but I have to trust that there has to be something about Debord that we don't know for Butch to be dead set on him. Maybe it is the structure that he talks about that it's the entire staff working together to creat game plan and not one guy. So he needs a teammate not a selfish guy. I don't know but Butch has proven us all wrong so many times

Whether its right or wrong butch will catch serious hell around Knoxville if he hires Debord. I'm gonna sit back and watch. I don't know how I feel haha.

It's going to be an interesting offseason for sure.

Although I think seeing a few goal line plays in the I-formation during the O&W game might be enough to calm down VolNation until fall camp starts.

As a father with two daughters, I find this documentary intriguing. I know you get some women that claim to be raped and have not been but I also know that there are thousands upon thousand of women sexually assaulted that go unreported.

Florida State Football: Jameis Winston's accuser reveals her story in new documentary | FOX Sports

We really need to train up our young men and women to be people of honor and respect. The universities also need to respect those who have been assaulted as well and anyone who helps to cover something like this up deserves to spend the rest of their life in prison.

Reactions: 5 people
It could very well happen that way, but there is a flip side to that coin. Debord is not a hot name, but maybe Butch knows what he is doing in regards to his offense and picking out the best fit for his offense, and in return the offense does better. Are biggest weakness was the Oline and bringing in a guy like Debord who has extensive experience at coaching that position may be what the doctor ordered for this offense. Who knows

*Argh

:)

Disappointing if true. It would have been better (assuming it's debord) if CBJ came out and announced him as OC last week. Avoid the rampant speculation and say, "we thank Bajakian for his time and service (blah blah blah). As a head coach, I have contingencies in place (etc etc). I'm pleased to announce DeBord as our next OC (give spiel about DeBord being a great fit etc)."

Why is he not a great fit in your mind? If Butch thinks he fits his offense how can anyone say differently, especially his expertise on the oline.

As a father with two daughters, I find this documentary intriguing. I know you get some women that claim to be raped and have not been but I also know that there are thousands upon thousand of women sexually assaulted that go unreported.

Florida State Football: Jameis Winston's accuser reveals her story in new documentary | FOX Sports

We really need to train up our young men and women to be people of honor and respect. The universities also need to respect those who have been assaulted as well and anyone who helps to cover something like this up deserves to spend the rest of their life in prison.

Welcome to the choir

If the coaching search is actually a charade, I guess he's just doing it to make it look like he passed on all of these hot names to hire DeBord.

If he just straight up hired DeBord immediately without appearing to interview anyone else, the fan base would probably riot. Making it look like he was truly the best candidate softens the blow a bit.

So your opinion is better than Hubbs who is about as in the know as a reporter can get in covering the vols, cool.

We'll see. Do I think CJJ making maybe 600 grand is going to be cool with new guy walking in the door at 800-900 with the job he's done in his time at UT? My gut says no. Butch pulls that and CJJ may listen to CM.

I severely miss the I-formation. That is my favorite formation to play out of.

I think a big advantage to hiring DeBord is that it could fix some of the glaring issues with Butch's offense. Namely the red zone touchdown scoring percentage. When we can't stretch the field, this offense really struggles, IMO.

If the coaching search is actually a charade, I guess he's just doing it to make it look like he passed on all of these hot names to hire DeBord.

If he just straight up hired DeBord immediately without appearing to interview anyone else, the fan base would probably riot. Making it look like he was truly the best candidate softens the blow a bit.

I agree but then again alot of Tennessee fans are smarter than that. They do their homework. Majority will not believe he was the best guy even if butch sets it up that way.

I think he could be good hire just for the fact he could single handily make the oline better, which as a result make the play calling so much easier.

I agree but then again alot of Tennessee fans are smarter than that. They do their homework. Majority will not believe he was the best guy even if butch sets it up that way.

Fact is UT fans have ALOT of unreasonable expectations when hiring searches are going on." Money should be no issue" . But it always is. Expecting that to all a sudden change IMO is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back