High school football rules discussion

during october breast cancer awareness month ...the te wears a pink towel along pink socks. pink arm bands and pink tape every where.gos throught the first quarter fine catches one 20 yrd pass,no harm no foul.midway through the 2nd catches a 40 yd td.next the refs and the other team coaches have a talk,ref comes over and makes him replace the pink towel with a white one.why was the pink towel ok until he scores.the refs had to see it ,it was Pink for heavens sake.

Good question for your 1st post.

during october breast cancer awareness month ...the te wears a pink towel along pink socks. pink arm bands and pink tape every where.gos throught the first quarter fine catches one 20 yrd pass,no harm no foul.midway through the 2nd catches a 40 yd td.next the refs and the other team coaches have a talk,ref comes over and makes him replace the pink towel with a white one.why was the pink towel ok until he scores.the refs had to see it ,it was Pink for heavens sake.

Towels have to be uniform with no writing on them. Meaning everyone with a towel has to have the same color. The arm bands should have been taken off also.

Towels have to be uniform with no writing on them. Meaning everyone with a towel has to have the same color. The arm bands should have been taken off also.

So the refs are pro cancer.
I kid
I'd be willing to bet the rest on the team had the arm bands and he was the only one with the towel.

Reactions: 1 person
I kid
I'd be willing to bet the rest on the team had the arm bands and he was the only one with the towel.

No one at all is allowed to wear arm bands. Or knee bands.

But all towels have to be a solid color with no writing. And if more than one person is wearin a towel, they have to be the same color.

Below is the towel rule. This actually changed last year. It used to state the towel had to be white and have no markings/logos.

One moisture-absorbing solid-colored towel that is not ball- or penalty flag-colored;is no less than 4 inches in width and 12 inches in length; no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in length;has no more than one visible manufacturer’s logo/trade
mark reference that does not exceed 2¼ square inches in any dimension; and if worn by any player, must be the same solid color for all players wearing a towel.

Last edited:
No one at all is allowed to wear arm bands. Or knee bands.

But all towels have to be a solid color with no writing. And if more than one person is wearin a towel, they have to be the same color.

Pretty accurate here.

They can have arm bands but they have to be down at the wrist. Yes, there is a rule that states specifics on this. The bicep and calf bands are not legal.

They can now have a logo in the towels.

Pretty accurate here.

They can have arm bands but they have to be down at the wrist. Yes, there is a rule that states specifics on this. The bicep and calf bands are not legal.

Thanks. I didn't know the logo part.

The worst new rule is the onside kick rule that prevents you from contacting the return team before the ball goes 10.

Pretty accurate here.

8188, you are without a doubt the biggest putz on VN and will argue about the stupidest stuff. So an arm band isn't an arm bad if it's at the wrist?
Good to know.

8188, you are without a doubt the biggest putz on VN and will argue about the stupidest stuff. So an arm band isn't an arm bad if it's at the wrist?
Good to know.

A band worn on the head=head band

A band worn on the knee=knee band

A band worn on arm=arm band

A band worn on the wrist=wrist band

It's also interesting that you accuse me of arguing about the stupidest stuff, but yet you're the one who first responded to me. So who began this argument?

Last edited:
A band worn on the head=head band

A band worn on the knee=knee band

A band worn on arm=arm band

A band worn on the wrist=wrist band

It's also interesting that you accuse me of arguing about the stupidest stuff, but yet you're the one who first responded to me. So who began this argument?

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

i dont really care just wondering why it was ok until he scored late in the second quarter then the opposing team came unglued about it .maybe its true the refs really do need glasses.didnt notice a pink towel against a black uni...lol by the way it didnt help them final score i think was 48 to 0.:)

I kid

exactly what i thought it was breast cancer month refs got no sympathy for nothing....lol rules are rules i guess its just funny that it was ok till he scores then its h### no u cant wear that

Good to know.

my bad they were worn at the wrist i dont know why i called it a arm band... im a retard:loco:

Last edited:
my bad they were worn at the wrist i dont know why i called it a arm band... im a retard

Ref called them arm bands too. They are ok as long as they are worn on the wrist.
It's nothing you did. 8188 and I like taking shots at each other. We do it all the time.

week later another player on defense wore one all game no one said a word.is this something they dont enforce unless someone calls the on it or what...what im trying to say is why did they allow it for a quarter and a 1/2 for one game and then all game for the def player like i said i dont care just would like to know if the refs didnt know the rule or just didnt care untill the opposing coach said something

week later another player on defense wore one all game no one said a word.is this something they dont enforce unless someone calls the on it or what...what im trying to say is why did they allow it for a quarter and a 1/2 for one game and then all game for the def player like i said i dont care just would like to know if the refs didnt know the rule or just didnt care untill the opposing coach said something

If everyone wearing a towel has the same color, then it doesn't matter what color it is. Most likely the kid had to take off his pink towel because his teammates were wearing white towels.

If everyone wearing a towel has the same color, then it doesn't matter what color it is. Most likely the kid had to take off his pink towel because his teammates were wearing white towels.

i get the rule but why did he have to score before it was enforced or the def player was never enforced........rules are rules no matter quarter and half or whole game

i get the rule but why did he have to score before it was enforced or the def player was never enforced........rules are rules no matter quarter and half or whole game

Most likely the score drew attention to himself. I highly doubt the refs were simply ignoring this before the play happened.

No he didn't. He said wrist bands were legal.

“(b) Moisture-absorbing sweatbands, when worn on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow.”

BTW, I think the towel rules are as silly as you all do. I understand no yellow or brown.

Last edited:
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (February 13, 2015) — In its ongoing effort to minimize the risk of injury in high school football, the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee expanded the provisions of unnecessary roughness to include contact with a defenseless player.
This revision in Rule 9-4-3g was one of six rules changes recommended by the Football Rules Committee at its January 23-25 meeting in Indianapolis. These changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.
The revised rule now reads, “No player or non-player shall make any contact with an opponent, including a defenseless player, which is deemed unnecessary or excessive and which incites roughness.”
Bob Colgate, director of sports and sports medicine at the NFHS and editor of the NFHS football rules, noted that an example would be when a defensive player who is not in the vicinity of the ball is “blindsided” by a blocker on the offensive team.
Another change with a focus on risk minimization is a revision of the spearing rule – one of several examples of illegal helmet contact listed in Rule 2-20. Spearing is now defined as “an act by any player who initiates contact against an opponent at the shoulders or below with the crown (top portion) of his helmet.”
With “targeting” now defined as contact to an opponent above the shoulders, the committee more clearly defined “spearing” as contact to an opponent at the shoulders or below. Colgate said the implementation of the first spearing rule in 1971 has played a significant role in reducing injury in high school football.
“The committee spent considerable time discussing and clarifying expectations related to contact involving any player that is deemed excessive or unnecessary – including spearing – that may occur during play,” said Brad Garrett, chair of the NFHS Football Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association. “Minimizing risks to players involved in these situations must remain at the forefront of the game.”
In other changes, the rules committee revised the 2014 rule change regarding free-kick formations. A new Rule 6-1-4 was added to state that the timing of the foul for not having at least four players on each side of the kicker now occurs when the ball is kicked.
A change also was made in the listing of penalties in Rule 9-4, Illegal Personal Contact. Beginning next season, an automatic first down will not be awarded for a 5-yard incidental face mask penalty against the passer. Previously, this violation was included in the penalty for roughing the passer, which calls for a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down.
The rules committee also approved new language in Rule 10-2-5 regarding the enforcement of dead-ball fouls. The distance penalty for unsportsmanlike, non-player or dead-ball personal fouls committed by teams can offset. Equal numbers of 15-yard penalties by both teams will cancel and remaining penalties may be enforced.
The final change approved by the Football Rules Committee related to a series of downs. A new Rule 5-1-1b will read as follows: “The referee shall have authority to correct the number of the next down prior to a new series of downs being awarded.”

If a player is ejected in the 4th quarter of a game, does he have to sit out the following week?

VN Store

Back