High school football rules discussion

I think the whistle may have come from someone in the crowd just before the snap. The players thought it was a ref and stopped. That's when the qb ran and was stopped.

Did game administration take care of the whistle in the stands after this?

No. They huddled for a few minutes then signaled 4th down. Like it didn't happen.

The officials aren't game adminstration. There is someone on site that is responsible for things like this.

This is a no good situation and there is no good way to handle it on the field.

FBR,
Last night in our game as time was running out in the 1st half, it appeared the ball carrier threw the ball forward about 10 yards and OB. He was beyond the line of scrimmage. ( I was told that on TV one of our guys knocked the ball out from behind but for my question lets assume he didn't )

1) where should the ball be spotted? Is there any penalty that applies or does it go back to the spot of the throw?
2) would there be a 10sec run off in high school for an offensive penalty?

Thanks

FBR,
Last night in our game as time was running out in the 1st half, it appeared the ball carrier threw the ball forward about 10 yards and OB. He was beyond the line of scrimmage. ( I was told that on TV one of our guys knocked the ball out from behind but for my question lets assume he didn't )

1) where should the ball be spotted? Is there any penalty that applies or does it go back to the spot of the throw?
2) would there be a 10sec run off in high school for an offensive penalty?

Thanks
Flag for illegal forward pass. 5 yards from spot of the pass. Loss of down.

No run off in high school.

Line of scrimmage is own 45. 2nd and 6. Ball intercepted and returned to the 39 where it is fumbled and recovered by the O. It's called 3rd and 12.
Shouldn't it be 1st and 10 because possession changed 2 times during the play?

Line of scrimmage is own 45. 2nd and 6. Ball intercepted and returned to the 39 where it is fumbled and recovered by the O. It's called 3rd and 12.
Shouldn't it be 1st and 10 because possession changed 2 times during the play?

You are correct. 1st and 10.

We had a penalty called against us last night for illegal touching. I am totally perplexed by this call - our receiver ran an out pattern and caught the ball 5 yards in bounds and was tackled at the sideline. At no point did he run out of bounds and we didn't have anyone even close to the sideline on a route. When he threw the flag it was right at the receiver when he was tackled. I figured it was for a face mask. Craziest call I've ever seen. Am I missing something?

We had a penalty called against us last night for illegal touching. I am totally perplexed by this call - our receiver ran an out pattern and caught the ball 5 yards in bounds and was tackled at the sideline. At no point did he run out of bounds and we didn't have anyone even close to the sideline on a route. When he threw the flag it was right at the receiver when he was tackled. I figured it was for a face mask. Craziest call I've ever seen. Am I missing something?
The information you're giving doesn't make sense for the foul (illegal touching).

Had he went out of bounds, on his own, at the point he returned is illegal participation. So him going out of bounds and illegal touching does not go together.

Only thing I can think of that could possibly be illegal touching in an instance like this would be if the receiver was covered up (on the line of scrimmage but had a player outside him also on the LOS) and caught the pass.

The information you're giving doesn't make sense for the foul (illegal touching).

Had he went out of bounds, on his own, at the point he returned is illegal participation. So him going out of bounds and illegal touching does not go together.

Only thing I can think of that could possibly be illegal touching in an instance like this would be if the receiver was covered up (on the line of scrimmage but had a player outside him also on the LOS) and caught the pass.

I thought of that too, but thought the call would be ineligible receiver downfield.

You're assuming the PA guy announced the penalty correctly, which the frequently mess up.
Good point, but I happen to know the signals. The ref touched his fingers to the top of his shoulders. In this case, the PA announcer got it right.

Ref, I've heard that MTCS has their QB wearing a helmet that has a microphone in it.
Is there a rule about this in high school ball?

Ref, I've heard that MTCS has their QB wearing a helmet that has a microphone in it.
Is there a rule about this in high school ball?
It has a microphone? Or is it some type of device for him to listen?

Here is one rule I found:

c. The following Other Illegal Equipment:
1. Ball-colored helmets, jerseys, patches, exterior arm covers/pads, undershirts or
gloves.
2. Communication devices, used to communicate with a player except during an
outside 9-yard mark conference (7-yard marks in nine-, eight-, and six-player
competition).

Here is also some more that I found:

ART. 1 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local
Area Network (LAN) phones and/or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph(s), film,
analog or digital video(s) and/or Internet depictions, shall not be used to communicate
with a player except during an outside 9-yard mark conference (7-yard marks in nine-,
eight- and six-player competition).
NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of a drum by a team composed of
deaf or partially deaf players, in order to establish a rhythmic cadence following the
ready-for-play signal.
ART. 2 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local
Area Network (LAN) phones and/or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph(s), film,
analog or digital video(s) and/or Internet depictionsmay be used by coaches and
nonplayers.

Ref, the O lines up in a shotgun with tailbacks left and right. It's 4th and short.
All 3 run to the line where the ball is immediately snapped to the QB for a sneak with the backs pushing the linemen.

It looked funky but I'm not sure anything was wrong. I was thinking illegal shift but now I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Ref, the O lines up in a shotgun with tailbacks left and right. It's 4th and short.
All 3 run to the line where the ball is immediately snapped to the QB for a sneak with the backs pushing the linemen.

It looked funky but I'm not sure anything was wrong. I was thinking illegal shift but now I'm not sure.

Thoughts?
I think you will see below that 6 covers what you are asking about in this scenario. I am including 7 since it covers players in motion. If you read just 6 and don't have 7 it makes it sound like players can't go in motion.

ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift all 11 players of A shall come to an absolute stop
and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands, feet, head or
body for at least one second before the snap.

ART. 7 . . . Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such
motion is not toward his opponent's goal line. Except for the player "under the
snapper," as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind
his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the
line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second
while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his
nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

Thoughts?
After the shift, did they all become set for 1 second before the snap? If so, it's fine, if not it's a foul for either illegal procedure (moving towards the line at the snap), or illegal shift.

After the shift, did they all become set for 1 second before the snap? If so, it's fine, if not it's a foul for either illegal procedure (moving towards the line at the snap), or illegal shift.

It was an instant snap. Nowhere near a second.

during october breast cancer awareness month ...the te wears a pink towel along pink socks. pink arm bands and pink tape every where.gos throught the first quarter fine catches one 20 yrd pass,no harm no foul.midway through the 2nd catches a 40 yd td.next the refs and the other team coaches have a talk,ref comes over and makes him replace the pink towel with a white one.why was the pink towel ok until he scores.the refs had to see it ,it was Pink for heavens sake.

VN Store

Back