'14 TN ATH Vic Wharton (UT Signee 2/5/14)

I readily admit that I am guilty of thinking of Vic as a "smaller, quick return guy" and ignored the possibility of him having an impact as a young WR.

Given the speed at which we'll play, Vic will have a chance to get reps. Take advantage.

Reactions: 2 people
If you guys remember the Auburn game, if we didn't blow it on special teams, it was going to be a battle to the end. But they blew it open with 3-4 big returns.

We didn't have that element in our game. Now, we do. I think it's going to affect the outcome of a few games this year.

If you guys remember the Auburn game, if we didn't blow it on special teams, it was going to be a battle to the end. But they blew it open with 3-4 big returns.

We didn't have that element in our game. Now, we do. I think it's going to affect the outcome of a few games this year.

Great point! Butch specifically talked about special teams will be much improved with the increased speed coming in with all the FR. I think we will also see another blocked punt in a game, like we did against GA.

Nick Marshall rushed for 200+ yards too, iirc. That game (plus Oregon) totally exposed our lack of team speed. Both painful games to watch.

Nick Marshall rushed for 200+ yards too, iirc. That game (plus Oregon) totally exposed our lack of team speed. Both painful games to watch.

Yes, they were! But if you remember Auburn, after Jacques had that pick 6, we were only down one score and had all the momentum...then they took the ensuing kickoff and ran it all the way back. Killed all the momentum, and I think that was just before half.

I readily admit that I am guilty of thinking of Vic as a "smaller, quick return guy" and ignored the possibility of him having an impact as a young WR.

Given the speed at which we'll play, Vic will have a chance to get reps. Take advantage.

5'11" may be small but he's at 200lbs. now. That's pretty solid IMO. I think he's perfect size for the slot and his return ability will be a factor.

Depth charts out of summer work outs mean nothing. It's usually a reward for hard work I the weight room and a motivation move for some guys. If Wharton couldn't fake a safety that's when you should be worried. Geeeesh

Logic....... A slot man should beat a safety all day if he's good. That's why Welker had a lot of success. Matchups are the key.

Yes, they were! But if you remember Auburn, after Jacques had that pick 6, we were only down one score and had all the momentum...then they took the ensuing kickoff and ran it all the way back. Killed all the momentum, and I think that was just before half.
Exactly. It's ST returns like that, which can just demoralize an opponent.

I think that is how Oregon wins so many of their games. Many teams play them tight for a while, then they just come out with a few explosive plays and opponents kind of give up before the game is truly out of hand.

My point is, we didn't have any such capability on ST last year, and not much of that on offense. But we now have the weapons on both fronts, to blow games wide open.

It's also why I think Dobbs should be the starter. He has the ability to frustrate defenses with his elusiveness, and can make those big explosive plays with his feet. Worley doesn't give us that, and his passing acumen isn't superior to Dobb's.

Think about it...if defenses have their hands full with the WR group and TE's + Hurd, Dobbs can tear them a new one with the occasional big run.

Reactions: 1 person
Nick Marshall running for 200+ yds = another QB passing for 200+yds. Doesn't mean a lot when Auburn's whole offense is run oriented.

Think this sleeper is waking up early.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 people
Love it, Ugo is very fast though... Got to consider he was a year younger than Vic during this race

I'll certainly consider that GFW. But Vic still gon' whip dey azz! lol :hi:

I hope that if we can't flip Amadi from the Pound Puppies(dawgs don't go to jail) then I hope to see Vic break this dude's ankles in the open field with that smirk on his face as he glides into the cheggarboards! GBO!

I'll certainly consider that GFW. But Vic still gon' whip dey azz! lol :hi:

I hope that if we can't flip Amadi from the Pound Puppies(dawgs don't go to jail) then I hope to see Vic break this dude's ankles in the open field with that smirk on his face as he glides into the cheggarboards! GBO!

If they are UGA dawgs they just go to Louisville.

VN Store

Back