Interesting about Martin to Marquette

They have just as many reservations about hiring him as we do about keeping him. If he can't understand why UT fans were unhappy about being swept by A&M and having eleven losses in the regular season with this talent, then he's either really stupid or really butthurt. Neither looks good on a college coach.

I suspect CCM is no different from any other headcoach in that regard; I'm pretty sure he expected there to be criticism when it looked like UT wasn't going to make the NCAA this season despite pre-season expectations. What I' pretty sure he didn't expect was some UT fans starting a petition demanding Hart to rehire a coach UT previously fired for lying, or that 36000 UT fans would sign the petition. All while Martin was still the Vols' head coach. And then the rumor that boosters were withholding the use of their private planes so that he could recruit? Yeah, I suspect he may be feeling a bit butthurt. And with good reason.

Reactions: 1 person
This is true..

My real concern is im more of a basketball fan than a football fan. Im just tired of all the uncertainty around this program. I dont expect a final four appearance. I dream someday that UT will make it. I just want a program that when they take the floor you expect them to be able to compete with anybody.
Dude...anyone who's been a fan since the days of Ray Mears wants the same thing. Unfortunately, our kids and grandkids will probably be posting the same sentiment 50 years from now.

They have just as many reservations about hiring him as we do about keeping him. If he can't understand why UT fans were unhappy about being swept by A&M and having eleven losses in the regular season with this talent, then he's either really stupid or really butthurt. Neither looks good on a college coach.

I suspect CCM is no different from any other headcoach in that regard; I'm pretty sure he expected there to be criticism when it looked like UT wasn't going to make the NCAA this season despite pre-season expectations. What I' pretty sure he didn't expect was some UT fans starting a petition demanding Hart to rehire a coach UT previously fired for lying, or that 36000 UT fans would sign the petition. All while Martin was still the Vols' head coach. And then the rumor that boosters were withholding the use of their private planes so that he could recruit? Yeah, I suspect he may be feeling a bit butthurt. And with good reason.

I agree. As, much as he kept a straight face you know he had to be hurting inside.

It dosen't matter who the coach is, with this bi-polar fanbase. It will turn on you on a dime and jump back on the bandwagon a second later. The fact that Dave Hart has not shown one ounce of loyalty, should tell CCM enough, to leave while you can.

I COULD CARE LESS IF HE GOES. I DONT BELIEVE HES A GOOD FIT FOR UT. HE DID TAKE SOME CRITICISM BUT DESEVED IN MY OPINION FOR 2 AND HALF YRS. HE WAS A MEDIOCRE COACH. BUT THE LAST HALF OF THIS YEAR HE COACH REALLY WELL. AND NO I DID NOT SIGN THE PETITION. HOPE EVERY ONE HAS A GREAT DAY.:good!:
Couldn't care less*

Whether he stays or goes is not up to VN, when the big money people forbid CCM to use their planes for recruiting it became apparent that Martin's security was in trouble. Wealthy boosters decide a lot of issues

Whether he stays or goes is not up to VN, when the big money people forbid CCM to use their planes for recruiting it became apparent that Martin's security was in trouble. Wealthy boosters decide a lot of issues

Bro......hold.....the.....F....up!! VN runs this *****, you best realize dis

It dosen't matter who the coach is, with this bi-polar fanbase. It will turn on you on a dime and jump back on the bandwagon a second later. The fact that Dave Hart has not shown one ounce of loyalty, should tell CCM enough, to leave while you can.

I did not sign the petition. That being said, I've never liked Cuonzo. He's always been inconsistent. I find his style of play somewhat boring. The two tests of late, Kentucky and Michigan we lost. I would feel more confident had we won one of those. Look at the tourney run, Iowa who finished he season losing 7-8, UMass who was down, and a mediocre Mercer. So I could care less if he stays. I guess our fanbase has forgotten the horrible loses!

I did not sign the petition. That being said, I've never liked Cuonzo. He's always been inconsistent. I find his style of play somewhat boring. The two tests of late, Kentucky and Michigan we lost. I would feel more confident had we won one of those. Look at the tourney run, Iowa who finished he season losing 7-8, UMass who was down, and a mediocre Mercer. So I could care less if he stays. I guess our fanbase has forgotten the horrible loses!

Agree, we won games we should win during this run and a bad call cost us a change at a quality win. My comment was more or less about the stupid petition and lack of support from the AD. Fans just want a winner, period. Wins put butts in seats. It was upsetting seeing how the fanbase just turned it's on CCM so quickly. My neighbors out here are parents of a former BB player for us and we have talked about this at lenght. He was upset with that turn as well.

I just spent some time on their board. Most of their fans are no different than ours. Some saying good things about Coach Martin. And then the others who are just a blister on the foot of the real knowledgeable fans. Coach Martin is highly respected to most Marquette fans and see him being able to succeed there. I for one am now 100% hoping we work something out to keep him. He has this program headed in the right direction. First off defense wins championships. This team is learning to play great defense. Yes there are improvements to be made. But with all the length on this team next year. Only one guy under 6'5 I believe. This team just needs to find a couple steady scorers. Someone to fill Maymons rebounding hole. And 22000 SCREAMING FANATICS filling up TBA every game standing firmly behind the Big Orange. Sadly I'm scared tomorrow when the buyout drops to 1.3 million he is gone. Then we are screwed. Please say NO Coach Martin. Finish what you started.

I watched SS Sunday morning. They were saying after Tuesday the buy out would drop a lot. They also said booster of UT were not letting Martin use their planes to recruit. If I was Martin I would take the Marquette job. Can you see the problems they would have if the Boosters at UK didn't let Cal. use their planes.

We haven't played ky lately. What team you been watching ?

To whomever ends up being the coach:

Please recruit a point guard that knows how to run an offense.

And once again the blisters make an appearance. Its people like most of the ones who comment on here that make Coach Martin feel uncomfortable. I have my opinion and thats was stated above. Im not going to be drawn into a word game with the children who just want to start something every time someone post an opinion.

And for those of you who now want him gone so bad. Who is to say your not going to get what you want. Then lets watch players bolt. Committed players start looking around. And then we become even more more less relevant.

UTs regular season records and records inside the horrible SEC should make Martin feel uncomfortable. Lets just start right there before you go on blasting fans for wanting better for the program.

He provided the exact same product for the fans this year as he did last year. the only differences were that he somehow squeaked into the tournament and then got a sweet @ss draw to play Iowa/UMass/Mercer. Probably the easiest road to the sweet 16.

This tournament run really has exposed some people's immaturity. CCM IS NOT heading in the right direction. Most analysis, if not all analysts have the UT program taking a step backwards next year. And the recruiting pipeline is not all that impressive, especially given that now some people seem to think Martin is one of the best coaches out there.

If you didnt like CCM before the tournament, you should not like him now. That's bogus and displaying a lack of integrity. One little tournament run should not be enough to sway your opinion. Especially given the teams we played and the fact that we barely beat Iowa to get into the real tournament.

Reactions: 3 people
For most coaches, it's good to have at least a little job uncertainty. It keeps them on their toes. When a man becomes complacent in his job, it has a negative affect on his job performance. The best coaches always strive to improve their job performance over the previous season.

I see what you're saying, but a little job uncertainty every year is not a good thing for recruiting, not in the least.

For most coaches, it's good to have at least a little job uncertainty. It keeps them on their toes. When a man becomes complacent in his job, it has a negative affect on his job performance. The best coaches always strive to improve their job performance over the previous season.

I dont know. Most of the great football and basketball coaches of our time have not had job insecurity in years and years.

In fact, they "create" their own security by leaking that another school wants them so that their current school gives them more money/years.

. He is not the one stupid.

I just spent some time on their board. Most of their fans are no different than ours. Some saying good things about Coach Martin. And then the others who are just a blister on the foot of the real knowledgeable fans. Coach Martin is highly respected to most Marquette fans and see him being able to succeed there. I for one am now 100% hoping we work something out to keep him. He has this program headed in the right direction. First off defense wins championships. This team is learning to play great defense. Yes there are improvements to be made. But with all the length on this team next year. Only one guy under 6'5 I believe. This team just needs to find a couple steady scorers. Someone to fill Maymons rebounding hole. And 22000 SCREAMING FANATICS filling up TBA every game standing firmly behind the Big Orange. Sadly I'm scared tomorrow when the buyout drops to 1.3 million he is gone. Then we are screwed. Please say NO Coach Martin. Finish what you started.

That's one thing I find "amusing" about the people on VN that criticize other UT fans on here....they think UT fans are the ONLY fan base in the world that moan & complain about their team. Some fan bases are more passionate than others (I'd put UT up against anybody!) but we all basicly act the same way. If you don't care, you won't express your opinion about something !

This is the crux of the argument. The fans should have been unhappy. The team was at times poorly coached and underachieving.

Those unknown names are scary though.

Who would want to come here????

I would say the list of people that would come here just got longer. A potential coach has to see that you can win here. Cuonzo underachieved here but still had a winning percentage of over .600. Add what Pearl did here, the NCAA not looking at every move we make, and I think Tennessee is looking pretty good now to just about any potential coach. JMHO

VN Store

Back