You think hiring a proven HC doesn't matter?

It’s not necessarily a magic bullet, but it’s not a stretch to say UF’s leadership has been head and shoulders better than UT.

Florida has a 4 win season, they go out and get exactly the coach they wanted and now are 5-1 in yr 1.
Tennessee has a 4 win season, has a sh!t show embarrassment of a coaching search, tries to hire a pedophelia enabler, then fires their AD then hires their 27th choice who has never had a head coaching job and seriously may not win an SEC game and have an ever worse year than the 4 win season.

Sounds like you might be right.

Reactions: LosingFaithVol
True...I always thought UGA hiring Richt did irreparable damage to UT, due to Richt locking down the state’s best recruits.

Spurrier going to South Carolina to a lesser degree.

During Fulmer's latter years, UGA (Richt) , South Carolina (Spurrier), Florida (Meyer), Alabama (Saban), and LSU (Miles) all had huge coaching upgrades. The balance of power shifted and UT went the complete opposite direction when Fulmer was kicked out. UT didnt respond with the next great SEC heac coach and it destroyed the program.

Pruitt was like out 27th choice as head coach. He wasnt even considered by the administration as a possibility until we freaking fired our AD in the middle of a coaching search. So I think its wholly realistic that many people were not thrilled with the hire.

Maybe he turns out to be the second coming of Saban, but that doesnt mean that people's initial impression of the hire were unfounded.
I don't disagree with that, but he's who we got after the first 26 publicly turned us down. I'm not exactly thrilled with what we've seen so far either, but I'm willing to wait until the end of the season and see what happens

Reactions: Behr
During Fulmer's latter years, UGA (Richt) , South Carolina (Spurrier), Florida (Meyer), Alabama (Saban), and LSU (Miles) all had huge coaching upgrades. The balance of power shifted and UT went the complete opposite direction when Fulmer was kicked out. UT didnt respond with the next great SEC heac coach and it destroyed the program.

True...UGA and LSU were garbage in the 90s, but both programs were always sleeping giants waiting on the right hire.

Reactions: johnrlansford
The big difference between UF and UT is simple. UF has had two hall of fame coaches to our one within the same timeframe.

Their average coaches (Muschamp & Mac) were better than our abysmal coaches (Dooley & Butch).

Their AD is committed to championship level athletics while we’re just happy to be playing some ball.

They shot for Kelly and landed on Mullen. We shot for Schiano and landed on Pruitt.

Early returns indicate they once again made the better hire. Maybe Mullen’s inherited players match up to his offensive style better than what Pruitt/Helton inherited and want to run. At least that’s what I tell myself so despair doesn’t envelope me.

Very simple, Florida hired better coaches. The right coach could turn it around immediately just like Spurrier or Meyer did. UT just hasn't hired the right coach.

The number one thing is hiring a head coach that has won big before getting hired. Spurrier turned around Duke. Meyer turned around Bowling Green and Utah. Mullen turned around Mississippi State. (Mullen hasn't won jack yet, but he's trending upward)

Nine times out of ten if you hire a coach that is learning on the job (like Zook or Muschamp), your results aren't going to be great.

Maybe Pruitt turns out to be one of those 1 or 2 guys that are the exception, but until then he's getting paid 4 mil a year to learn on the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: LosingFaithVol
Very simple, Florida hired better coaches. The right coach could turn it around immediately just like Spurrier or Meyer did. UT just hasn't hired the right coach.

The number one thing is hiring a head coach that has won big before getting hired. Spurrier turned around Duke. Meyer turned around Bowling Green and Utah. Mullen turned around Mississippi State.

Nine times out of ten if you hire a coach that is learning on the job (like Zook or Muschamp), your results aren't going to be great.

Maybe Pruitt turns out to be one of those 1 or 2 guys that are the exception, but until then he's getting paid 4 mil a year to learn on the job.

You can't say stuff around here like that. The expectation is that you cant even have bad thoughts about a coach until after year 3.LOL

I know dude, and that's one thing that fascinates me. Some play the victim part, like "poor me, I'm so sick of this, we never hire who I want".

Lol...GTFO.
In not sure its so much playing the victim as it is expressing their opinion. Saying their playing the victim is just a way to ridicule their opinion.

If im not mistake most "real fan" wanted and thought we were getting Gruden. As a matter of fact, there were dedicated threads averaging about 4000 post a day about it.

One thing I know based on his own words is that we would have Cade Mayes if we'd hired Gruden. Imagine what another SEC level OT would do for us right now.

Reactions: Behr
In not sure its so much playing the victim as it is expressing their opinion. Saying their playing the victim is just a way to ridicule their opinion.

If im not mistake most "real fan" wanted and thought we were getting Gruden. As a matter of fact, there were dedicated threads averaging about 4000 post a day about it.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if there are more than 1 person posting under this account and they don't know what the other sometimes says.

You, whichever one this is, is correct, you're not sure because you just dont know. Are you accusing me of ridiculing someone's opinion?

And what is you're point about Gruden? You still butthurt because you were told to stfu because, like a child you were constantly ridiculing others opinions, just because they wanted what they thought would be a great thing for Tennessee Football?

The number one thing is hiring a head coach that has won big before getting hired. Spurrier turned around Duke. Meyer turned around Bowling Green and Utah. Mullen turned around Mississippi State. (Mullen hasn't won jack yet, but he's trending upward)

and there's been plenty of coordinators that have done excepitonally well in their first gig...Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Dan Mullen... to name a few.

there is no formula. that says do this, and you'll get this.

safe to say, up to this point, we've not hit on the right one. we'll see how Pruitt does. but ineherently, i would imagine he'll require a longer timeline to reach the level of success we all want, for several reasons not just limited to him being a 1st timer, than some other folks have taken at other programs. situation and circumstance have a lot to do with it too.

all that said, i wouldn't mind seeing something tangible that says "oh, ok, i think we can work with that".

Sometimes I honestly wonder if there are more than 1 person posting under this account and they don't know what the other sometimes says.

You, whichever one this is, is correct, you're not sure because you just dont know. Are you accusing me of ridiculing someone's opinion?

And what is you're point about Gruden? You still butthurt because you were told to stfu because, like a child you were constantly ridiculing others opinions, just because they wanted what they thought would be a great thing for Tennessee Football?
U mad bro?

Cause you sound mad

Didn't know you could hear me, but yea, I'm madder than a Keebler elf demoted to fudge packer.
PaltryInsignificantIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif

I don’t understand the argument that Tennessee puts up with mediocre results.

They fired Fulmer. An alumnus and national champion.

They fired Dooley after 3 years.

Butchs teams were on an improving trend until year 5 and they fired him at year 5.

I just don’t see where Tennessee puts up with poor results.

They gave people the boot on other sports too.

The problem isn’t an unwillingness to fire someone, it’s who they hire

This!

To this very day, I can’t get over the fact that our Administration was pushing Currie to hire Schiano as our HC considering his history with the Sandusky investigation.

No 5* player would even dare touch this program if he had been hired.

I agree, our Administration has always been filled with mindless idiots who only looked out for themselves, not the program itself.

What are our chances of another 0-8 sec slate. That would be 17 in a row. I never thought in my worst nightmares we would suck this bad.

IMO, some people need to understand what makes a coach proven. Being a successful coordinator does not equal proven head coach. Winning games, winning small conference championships does not equal being a proven head coach. The best way to become proven is to win a Super bowl or national title, and even doing this once is never an a absolute guarantee ( though, most of the time, coaches who win the big one, stay consistently successful ) that one has become proven.

In another thread of mine, I allowed for big conference championships to qualify as being proven, but allowing that standard is not near as fool proof as winning the big one. Usually, you win a big time conference title, you go on to consistent success, but this standard is far far from absolute. There are many examples of coaches who won big time conference titles but within 2 to 5 years they are never heard from again.

Off the top of my head, the only proven head coach that was available last year was Jimbo Fisher. I wish we had backed thr brinks truck up to his home and beat out am for him. But, here I am spending someone else's money, which i have no ability to do. It's nice to talk about, but not within my power. I have no idea if we had the funds available to outbid am.

Scott Frost and Mullen are, by the evidence, further along than Pruitt. I wouldn't label either as proven, though what Mullen did at ms st was very impressive. On scale of most likely to get it done, Jimbo ( Jimbo's main obstacle is the fact that the goat resides in his division. Gonna be tough Jimbo, getting past them ) was #1, a proven coach. Mullen was #2 imo. I have very little doubt Jimbo will have sustained success at am. I have more doubt that Mullen will have sustained success at FL compared to Jimbo. Yet, no doubt in my mind Mullen has sufficient evidence backing him that he was the best candidate, other than Jimbo, if a program was looking for the best CHANCE at getting back to the top.

Since the talk of proven head coaches keeps coming up, this post of mine from pg 10 is the correct standard imo

VN Store

Back