You get what you pay for

tennfanatic

If you pay a coach two to three million a year then don't be surprised if you are not bowl eligible in December. We have been very cheap and have hired coaches with no solid coaching background. We have given them low contracts and have hoped for the best. Dooley, Kiffin, and Butch have thus destroyed our program because they weren't qualified for the job.

If you pay good money you will get a solid coach but we are cheap and are not worried about winning. It amazes me that we are one of the richest programs in the country and we continue to pinch penny's and not go after a big time coach. I just hope they don't hire a Mike Bobo, Mike Norvell, or another unproven power 5 coach and be sitting here five years later saying the same thing.

Let's just hire Mike Leach. He is a winner and he would probably take the job. He is there for the taking and he has proven his ability to win in two different conferences. He is an easy pick.

If you pay a coach two to three million a year then don't be surprised if you are not bowl eligible in December. We have been very cheap and have hired coaches with no solid coaching background. We have given them low contracts and have hoped for the best. Dooley, Kiffin, and Butch have thus destroyed our program because they weren't qualified for the job.

If you pay good money you will get a solid coach but we are cheap and are not worried about winning. It amazes me that we are one of the richest programs in the country and we continue to pinch penny's and not go after a big time coach. I just hope they don't hire a Mike Bobo, Mike Norvell, or another unproven power 5 coach and be sitting here five years later saying the same thing.

Tennessee has settled in the past because bigger names said "thanks but no thanks." Dooley and Butch were not the first people they called. You don't really think they offered Gruden only $3.5m/year when they reportedly talked to him during the last coaching search, do you?

When your first 5 choices say no, you're left with guys you can obtain for a smaller salary. They settled because they had to, not because they wanted to.

The program is in a much better position to hire a bigger name coach today than it was after Kiffin left or when Dooley was fired. The roster was a mess and the program a dumpster fire during those last two coaching searches.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's just hire Mike Leach. He is a winner and he would probably take the job. He is there for the taking and he has proven his ability to win in two different conferences. He is an easy pick.

Mike Leach would be a great choice, imo. The Haslams will probably **** up any chance of landing a good coach like that though.

13 of the coaches of top 25 teams make less than Butch Jones. This is bull.

Reactions: 6 people
Your right, which is why we’ll probably continue being mediocre because our university is so stinking cheap.

mike leach? lol. jeez.

and butch makes over $4m, not $2-3M. and we offered more to other candidates, in both searches, that said no.

this place is going a little nuts.

Reactions: 1 person
mike leach? lol. jeez.

and butch makes over $4m, not $2-3M. and we offered more to other candidates, in both searches, that said no.

The "this school is so cheap" narrative is one that is pretty easily debunked, yet so widely believed. It was widely reported that we offered more money to bigger name coaches who told us no, and if the school is cheap why are the facilities top notch and perpetually being upgraded?

If they go cheap with this hire though, I will be more inclined to believe it. The school is in a pretty good position, better than at any point since 2008, to hire a pretty good coach with a nice resume. Assuming they want to.

mike leach? lol. jeez.

What is it about winning that you don't like? Leach has won everywhere he's been. He is also winning in a place more difficult than Starkville. So what's wrong with Leach?

Reactions: 2 people
When he’s in his 5th year, let’s compare what butch makes now to what Kirby will be making then.

When did this become a 5th year argument? You don't get to add caveats until it suits your argument.

If you pay a coach two to three million a year then don't be surprised if you are not bowl eligible in December

He's never won a championship in any conference. He's a flake and his teams rarely play defense. He just makes losing more entertaining.

Tennessee has settled in the past because bigger names said "thanks but no thanks." Dooley and Butch were not the first people they called. You don't really think they offered Gruden only $3.5m/year when they reportedly talked to him during the last coaching search, do you?

When your first 5 choices say no, you're left with guys you can obtain for a smaller salary. They settled because they had to, not because they wanted to.

The program is in a much better position to hire a bigger name coach today than it was after Kiffin left or when Dooley was fired. The roster was a mess and the program a dumpster fire during those last two coaching searches.

Totally respect your optimism but disagree concerning state of roster and presence/absence of "dumpster fire."

The fallacy of hiring cheap....

Let's assume that we hire Bobo and pay him $3.75MM per year. After 4 years, we realize he is Dooley Part Deux and we fire him and pay him a $9MM buyout. Total cost $24MM.

For the $6MM a year we paid Bobo in this scenario, we could have hired a proven winner in Mullen, Fuente, or Kelly.

If Bobo is a great coach, we would end up having to pay him the $6MM per year by Year 3 when ________ shows interest.

What is it about winning that you don't like? Leach has won everywhere he's been. He is also winning in a place more difficult than Starkville. So what's wrong with Leach?

what has he won again?

aim higher. he's a great soundbite with a really good offensive system.

that's it. i'd pay to go see him at The Comedy Store.

Because butch isn’t get paid the same as he was year 2? He got a raise for good performance. Same thing Kirby will get.

I'll paste if again since this is hard, apparently.

If you pay a coach two to three million a year then don't be surprised if you are not bowl eligible in December.

13 teams currently pay less and are in the top 25. One is the #1 team in the country right now and is paid less. Not later once they give him a raise for performance. His current salary fits the criteria of $2,xxx,xxx or $3,xxx,xxx and he is currently coaching a #1 team. That's it. Super simple argument.

Would absolutely suck to make only $2-3million/year :rock:

Attachments

• A0F0B2CA-7D58-4331-9039-3E1A107C7B14.gif
    A0F0B2CA-7D58-4331-9039-3E1A107C7B14.gif
    853.7 KB · Views: 111
He's never won a championship in any conference. He's a flake and his teams rarely play defense. He just makes losing more entertaining.

So, anything other than a championship is losing? How many championships have the other realistic hires mentioned on this won? He has had top ten teams at both Texas Tech and Washington State and you call that losing? Give me a break.

The "this school is so cheap" narrative is one that is pretty easily debunked, yet so widely believed. It was widely reported that we offered more money to bigger name coaches who told us no, and if the school is cheap why are the facilities top notch and perpetually being upgraded?

If they go cheap with this hire though, I will be more inclined to believe it. The school is in a pretty good position, better than at any point since 2008, to hire a pretty good coach with a nice resume. Assuming they want to.

i don't think they can go cheap unless they're really bargain hunting. i would expect the next coach to be north of $4.5 to $5M/annually.

but agree with the premise you present. cheap programs don't do $340M stadium upgrades. and you sure as heck don't do something like that if you're not willing to invest in the future of the product that's going to be on display in it.

what has he won again?

aim higher. he's a great soundbite with a really good offensive system.

that's it. i'd pay to go see him at The Comedy Store.

He has had top ten teams at Texas Tech and Washington State and during that time, we were doing what? So, he would need to win a NC at one of those places to be a good coach?

VN Store

Back