WR Depth Chart???

Look, he may be a good kid with a lot of skills, but on the big stage last year, and it may be due to injury he wilted. The UT Sports information folks were very kind in providing on his bio 2013 stats not to declare how many total attempts he had come his way, rather pushing this stat out there:

In 11 games, made four starts, in 2013 with 12 catches for 182 yards with one touchdown

I'm not going to make a big deal about how many of those 12 catches were against WKU & South Alabama. All I'm saying is the young man did not get it done last year. I hope he has an All American campaign this year, but I'm not convinced when the bright lights come on, he can. I hope he proves me wrong, but he wouldn't be the first player to be a wideout that ends up his career as a DB cuz he can't hang on to the ball during a game is all I'm sayin' ...

And you would not be the first person to sit at a keyboard and criticize someone's performance who even on their worst day is better than you could ever dream to be on your best day.
I hope he proves you wrong as well so that the next time you (and others) see fit to publicly pronounce judgement on someone, based upon your considerable football knowledge and experience, you will reconsider. That's all I'm saying.

Josh Butterfingers Smith as a starter with others on the bench? I just can't see that happening,I mean really?

I agree he had some crucial drops last year, but what he has can not be developed. He has incredible explosiveness. Why do you think he was wide open all the time against sec defenses? Because nobody could stay with him off the line. He can work on his hands and the nerves that obviously affected him some last year. You can't teach a kid to be an explosive athelete (and he has that). I remember several posters talking about seeing play high school basketball. They say he looked like a white michael jordan out there with 360 slams ect. The kid is an incredible athelete. Thus far he reminds me of zac rogers...who had some similar issues but became one of the most important players to the team his senior year

Reactions: 1 person
If you don't get that Josh Smith is playing as well as an WR in camp then you aren't paying attention.

He was also talked up last year in fall camp as running the best routes and having the best hands on the team. Guess we'll see. Azzani is talking like he's the second coming of Jerry Rice in every interview he does.

Glad to see the ZeRo reference...'white lightning' was absolutely mocked second only to Rod Wilkes going into his senior season...then he was far and away the best receiver on the roster in his final campaign. Torched NCST in atl then destroyed the gamechickens in columbia...our season would have been terrible without him. That over-the-shoulder grab in the georgia dome to blow the NCST game wide open was right in front of our seats...and one of the prettiest plays i have ever seen in 30 years of watching Volball...go watch it on youtube to get fired up. im about to.
heres hoping smith can do exactly what rogers did...please. GBO VFL HUBAN

Youre way wrong. pay attention. smith may have dropped a bunch last year but the kid gets open so much for a reason. He can flat fly. Truth is a white kid playing wideout surely faces an uphill battle to even get a serious look from an SEC team. White and slow would never sniff a shot at an offer from UT bro. ever.

As a freshman last year he was wide open about as much as any other receiver on the field. And it's been said a lot that he has one of the best sets of hands on the team in practice. If he can shake the nerves and start pulling in the ones that go his way in games it would be a shame not to have him out there at this point while the other guys are still new to the system. A lot can happen over a year to mature

It has been reported that he had an injured hand and an injured leg last year that is now completely healed. We didn't have this kind of depth last year so he was thrown in anyway.

It has been reported that he had an injured hand and an injured leg last year that is now completely healed. We didn't have this kind of depth last year so he was thrown in anyway.

Everyone is referring to the Mizzo drop.. Team was BBQ

As of today first teamers are North, Smith, and Johnson
Second team Malone, Pearson, and Pig
I know were young at WR but I can't remember having this much depth with this much talent. I think if the QB can play at all he'll get 2500 yards.

Youre way wrong. pay attention. smith may have dropped a bunch last year but the kid gets open so much for a reason. He can flat fly. Truth is a white kid playing wideout surely faces an uphill battle to even get a serious look from an SEC team. White and slow would never sniff a shot at an offer from UT bro. ever.

Flat fly?? That why he was virtually not recruited coming out of Christian Academy? 3 offers... UT, Arkansas and Cincinnati. What's he a high 4.4, low 4.5 guy? He himself has said he knows why he's at UT.... as a white WR he's supposed to run good routes and catch everything thrown to him because he's not a burner. I said he's maybe the 4th fastest WR.... behind North, Malone and Wharton. Hell, I'll throw in Jenkins, Pearson and Pig while I'm at it.

As of today first teamers are North, Smith, and Johnson
Second team Malone, Pearson, and Pig
I know were young at WR but I can't remember having this much depth with this much talent. I think if the QB can play at all he'll get 2500 yards.

I think I would put Pig, Pearson, and Malone ahead of Johnson

Flat fly?? That why he was virtually not recruited coming out of Christian Academy? 3 offers... UT, Arkansas and Cincinnati. What's he a high 4.4, low 4.5 guy? He himself has said he knows why he's at UT.... as a white WR he's supposed to run good routes and catch everything thrown to him because he's not a burner. I said he's maybe the 4th fastest WR.... behind North, Malone and Wharton. Hell, I'll throw in Jenkins, Pearson and Pig while I'm at it.

Emmanuel Mosely said that if he was not the fastest on the team, there were 3 others that were. One of those other 3 was Josh Smith. Mosely is a legit 4.3 guy. Smith has been timed at 4.49, but his football speed seems faster than that.

So yeah, he can flat fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If pig isn't one of the starters I'll be surprised. When the lights come on that kids a baller. One of our most productive receivers last year.

I can see Pig and Pearson but not Malone. That guy is just half speed and simply does not care. Malone it's time to grow up the Big Orange is about to go to war

Calm down bro. You only have seen short vids of practice. That doesn't make you an expert. He's a frosh so give him a break. Lot to learn, lots of pressure from pubes like you, and did I mention he's a rook. Give him time and let the game slow down for him.

Sure, Smith had some drops last year. Show me one wide out that's never dropped a pass. I think the biggest thing that many fans on here are not grasping is this kid's mental toughness. His drive. His desire to be as good as he can be.

We as fans sometimes get caught up in the wins and losses, but let's not forget that what these young men are doing on the field, be it practice or not, is molding them into the men that they will become.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone. The true testament to oneself is the ability to overcome adversity. Josh has proven himself as someone that has identified and acknowledged his shortcomings and has made positive steps to correct them.

Wins and losses on the football field are a measuring stick for us as fans. But I feel that a true coach's job performance can't be judged solely on W's, but in the ability to help these young men reach their individual potential.

TIFWIW, but CBJ has shown me that he is making an impact on these players on an individual level. That will translate onto the field. Anyone who cant see marked improvement from last year to this year has not been watching the same team I have.

Josh Smith over Malone, Pig and Croom? Surely not.
I'm reading all this stuff about how he's made such a big transition, was hurt most of last year.....yada, yada, yada; but I ain't buying all that. Why? Cause it seems like we've been down this road before. They were saying the same exact things about him last year. That in PRACTICE, he was doing it all...running the best routes....had the best hands on the team, etc.

HHHHMMMM? There is some kind of disconnect here. Josh Malone gets no accolades for his work in practice, but he goes off on defenses when it's game time. Josh Smith gets all the hype for his practice work, yet on game day, he suddenly has bricks for hands.

I hope Smith gets it together, but again, I'm not going to be duped by hype from practice sessions again.

Last edited:
I hope Smith gets it together, but again, I'm not going to be duped by hype from practice sessions again.

Are you kidding me? You want to give Peterman the benefit of the doubt because of his performance during fall practice, but all of the sudden Josh Smith shouldn't have new expectations this year?

Dude, you have lost all credibility.

Last edited:
I'd say the order right now looks like the following:

North
Pearson
Howard
Smith
Malone
Croom
Johnson
Wharton
Bowles, carter, Jenkins

With the exception of Bowles carter and Jenkins, I think you will see the other 8 rotating in and out of the game quite a bit.

Same with tight end. And I think lane hurd and devrin will rotate a lot as well.

This is a deep group with varying sizes and skill. What I want to know is who is the burner of this group? A few years ago we had Hunter and Patterson that both ran sub 4.35 40"s at the NFL Combine. Is there anyone on this list with that kind of speed?

Hmm. From the spring interviews i believe i heard that Malone was the fastest WR. Just a guess i might have heard wrong.

VN Store

Back