Would you be okay with Barnett skipping the bowl game?

I'd play it and I would say "unlike other players who already have one foot out the door, I will give my all for my team and my teammates!" If he said something like that, his draft status would increase..

I'd be fine with him skipping. If he played and got hurt and cost himself several million, none of us fans are going to cut him a check to make up the difference.

He should do what he thinks is best for himself and his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I understand it. I don't like it.

How much do these bowl games really mean?
Can I get my gift card for getting score right on tt game I picked the exact score and yes if db wants to protect millions, I'm cool with it

Read the first page. Sounds like many would agree that we should just practice up to time to leave for the game and then forfeit. It's meaningless anyway and we only risk practice related injuries.

You play ALL the games.

This.

As for Barnett - he is a Jr. He hasn't yet said he is leaving for the NFL (... though he probably is ...), thus him making a decision not to play just in case would not be appropriate.

Some players will look at the game as another chance to showcases their skills.

I believe also that not playing sends a clear message that they are afraid of getting hurt. If they feel this way about the bowl, what is next - the last game of the season doesn't matter, so skip it ... as soon as it is apparent their team is not going to a bowl or will not be conference champs - check out?

And then there is the playoffs, how long before someone gets hurt there and the players say - the NFL is greater than a college football championship with their teammates? So they decide not to play in those as well.

These players should play. The universities have given them the opportunity to showcase their ability for the NFL and get a degree at the same time. They have contributed to the success of the team.

This is the equivalent of someone leaving for another job, giving a two weeks notice, but refusing to transition to those who must perform their job after the leave. It almost always comes back to haunt them at some point.

I hurd that!

It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I understand it. I don't like it.

How much do these bowl games really mean?

here is where I see this...

I don't have the knowledge to criticize or approve of these kids decisions on these type things. I don't know the particulars on any of them to risk injury in a game such as this when they are moving on to begin making a living.

What is their family situation? What is their health situation? How meaningful is the game?

I've been to a lot of bowl games and the majority of them are nothing more than exhibition games. They are fun trips for the programs. Players get a lot of gifts and get out all week to have fun and they do.

So if a player would rather sit out I have no problem with them deciding to do that... I think if LSU or Stanford were in the playoffs, both those running backs would be playing.

here is where I see this...

I don't have the knowledge to criticize or approve of these kids decisions on these type things. I don't know the particulars on any of them to risk injury in a game such as this when they are moving on to begin making a living.

What is their family situation? What is their health situation? How meaningful is the game?

I've been to a lot of bowl games and the majority of them are nothing more than exhibition games. They are fun trips for the programs. Players get a lot of gifts and get out all week to have fun and they do.

So if a player would rather sit out I have no problem with them deciding to do that... I think if LSU or Stanford were in the playoffs, both those running backs would be playing.

100% agree. People are labeling them quitters without being privy to any of the information

Reactions: 1 person
Read the first page. Sounds like many would agree that we should just practice up to time to leave for the game and then forfeit. It's meaningless anyway and we only risk practice related injuries.

You play ALL the games.

So you criticize coaches that leave for better jobs and don't coach the bowl game too?

He has fulfilled it. He has nothing else he has to prove to you or anyone else. He also has a future to think about. If he blows a knee out, are you going to offer him millions of dollars to make up for it? No, your ass is going to watch next year and probably never think about him again.

And I'm sorry, do you honestly think a Vol in the NFL isn't good for the program?

Never said he has to prove anything to me. Guess I'm just old school. When I start something I finish it. If he leaves early to go to the NFL then fine but he ain't taking up a scholarship that way. Like my opinion or not I really don't care. I always believe in the end a man is rewarded for his commitment.

So you criticize coaches that leave for better jobs and don't coach the bowl game too?

I do. I hate it. I honestly believe they should finish what they started. There is no commitment left anywhere in this day we live in. I watched Houston play the other day and hated it for those guys. I don't blame him for taking the Texas job but atleast finish the season first.

I do. I hate it. I honestly believe they should finish what they started. There is no commitment left anywhere in this day we live in. I watched Houston play the other day and hated it for those guys. I don't blame him for taking the Texas job but atleast finish the season first.

Agreed 100%. In fact, I personally don't think coaches should be allowed to be hired anywhere else until after their current team's season is done, including the bowl/playoffs. That is entirely too disruptive and unfair to those teams. Imagine if we had lost to Florida State in 98 after Cutcliffe had bailed! He would've been forever villified for leaving.

It seems that most on here and in the media base their opinion on their perceived level of importance of the game. If it's a playoff game or a top tier bowl, then most would been much more critical of a player who did not play.

In reality, all post season games carry a level of importance and influence. It's a chance for a team to improve their post season ranking, a chance for them to showcase their skills on national TV for potential recruits to see - a chance to work on things in prep for the coming season and with a victory carry a level of momentum forward.

Regardless of the game, a player who doesn't play in that last game that could have quit the team. There is no other way to say that. The player did not finish what they started - thus they quit.

I know some say, well the player could get hurt - well if that is the fear then said player could get hurt in a playoff game or a top tier game. Is it right to hold the potential NFL draftees in a playoff game (or a game one considers significant) to a higher standard than potential NFL draftees in a non playoff game? Both games carry the same risk to the players. And both involve finishing something started with a group of team mates they stood by in every practice, in every game, in support of bringing a level of glory to the team, to themselves and to the university that gave them the opportunity to play.

Spin it however you want, give whatever excuses you want - but in life someone who doesn't finish what they started when they are able to finish it is a quitter.

You can't blame a kid for not wanting to risk a sure bet NFL career or the money that can fincially setup their family for many years. Do I like it? Hell no, but if put that situation you can understand their choice.

Absolutely...Head Coaches. I also criticize morons who think we should pay players more than the tens of thousands of dollars a year they already get paid. How about you???

It seems that most on here and in the media base their opinion on their perceived level of importance of the game. If it's a playoff game or a top tier bowl, then most would been much more critical of a player who did not play.

In reality, all post season games carry a level of importance and influence. It's a chance for a team to improve their post season ranking, a chance for them to showcase their skills on national TV for potential recruits to see - a chance to work on things in prep for the coming season and with a victory carry a level of momentum forward.

Regardless of the game, a player who doesn't play in that last game that could have quit the team. There is no other way to say that. The player did not finish what they started - thus they quit.

I know some say, well the player could get hurt - well if that is the fear then said player could get hurt in a playoff game or a top tier game. Is it right to hold the potential NFL draftees in a playoff game (or a game one considers significant) to a higher standard than potential NFL draftees in a non playoff game? Both games carry the same risk to the players. And both involve finishing something started with a group of team mates they stood by in every practice, in every game, in support of bringing a level of glory to the team, to themselves and to the university that gave them the opportunity to play.

Spin it however you want, give whatever excuses you want - but in life someone who doesn't finish what they started when they are able to finish it is a quitter.

Very well stated.

A scholarship is a contract between the school and the player. The player doesn't agree to only play games that "matter". They agree to play all games sans injury. Period.

Very well stated.

A scholarship is a contract between the school and the player. The player doesn't agree to only play games that "matter". They agree to play all games sans injury. Period.

What about when a coach cuts loose players on scholarships just so they can have that spot for new and better players? Lots of transfers you see are due to a coach telling that player it would be in his best interest to transfer or he will have to take his scholarship away.. How do you view the breaking of the contract in that instance?

Reactions: 4 people
Absolutely...Head Coaches. I also criticize morons who think we should pay players more than the tens of thousands of dollars a year they already get paid. How about you???

Why just head coaches? Shouldn't ALL the coaches be in it ALL the way for the entire year?

When people start holding coaches to the exact same standard, then you can complain.

Still a quitter and he let the team down with his attitude on and off the team. Those who are not injured and skip bowl games are also quitters to their teams, coaches, fans, and schools.

You probably should check that again broseph. Seems the only ones babbling about LF being a "quitter" are the couch All Americans on this board.

VN Store

Back