Would you be okay with Barnett skipping the bowl game?

People who say these games don't matter aren't competitors.
To a competitor every game they play matters. Period

You know what else matters? Not suffering a knee injury with a huge NFL contract on the line.

Supporting your family > a bowl game that will be forgotten not long after it's played

Reactions: 6 people
I'd be disappointed if he did but I'd certianly understand it and wouldn't hold it against him.

problem with calling it meaningless is this --- Vols lose the game CBJ gets roasted by negavols, even though they are the ones claiming its a meaningless game

Butch gets paid his millions regardless. So you don't have to worry. Let the players take the chance with their futures. SMH

It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I understand it. I don't like it.

How much do these bowl games really mean?

The bowl games matter to the true competitors even if it doesn't to some of the the fans. Would hate to see him skip and don't believe he is built that way. Heck, I don't even want him to skip his senior year, (even though I am in the minority there)

Reactions: 5 people
At the end of the day it's his decision as a grown man. As a fan of the player, I'd love to see him play and get the sack record. With that said, since I respect him as a person, I'll respect his decision either way it goes.

:ermm:
It's up to the individual, IMO. We have no input and will never know personally each person's reasons. Lower tier bowl games don't mean anything when your health and well being are on the line if you're turning pro. We'd all like to see our heroes compete one more time, but we're sitting home on the couch watching is perfectly safe atmosphere. There have been more than a few who had season and career ending injuries in the post season.
:bad:

I would think the more players do it the more agents will start encouraging their prospective clients to do it. While the player may have insurance in case of an injury, the agent that expects to sign him doesn't.

It could very quickly become the new norm. Especially for the top agents who may be in a position to require it as a condition of taking the player as a client.

It's certainly understandable why this seems to be becoming a trend, especially for players projected to go early in the draft.

I think you do what you have to do to get paid.

I can't even believe this is a question. If it is, then we should just cancel "meaningless" bowl games. It's the final game with his Vol Brethren and a chance to ink himself into the record books ahead of one of the greatest players (and men) to ever don the Orange and White.

If he doesn't play, I'll be shocked.

Reactions: 1 person
After the blowback Hurd got from quitting on the team, this would essentially be the same thing and I don't think Barnett would.

Reactions: 2 people
Quite frankly if there is no injury I think it will hurt players with scouts if they just miss it because they may get hurt. In the end it's their decision, I guarantee if LSU was in the playoffs I believe Fournette would play. I do think he is somewhat injured with the hamstring, that's another thing the media makes this a story when injury could at least have a impact on why some are not playing. If truly injured I could see not playing with the combine coming up. If 100% I don't think scouts will like the attitude or mindset. GBO!

How many bowl games are/were meaningful though, really?

I'm in the camp that I'm all for more football, especially this time of year when I realize the end is near. Lol.

When only two or three teams from the SEC went to bowl games they were highly valued. The 1979 Bluebonnet and the Garden State a few years later were big accomplishments. Now bowl games are pretty much like an additional regular season, neutral site game versus a similar quality opponent since all but 2 or 3 from an expanded conference don't going bowling.

They mean nothing. I'm fine with it

No difference than Hurd quitting in the middle of the year. Ya left your team to follow your own wishes with the team still playing.

Reactions: 3 people

Not really. I'd lose some respect for him as a competitor.

Most of these locks for the draft have insurance on their bodies anyway, they should play in the bowls. Can't live your life afraid of what might happen, you could just as easily get hurt preparing for the combine.

Easily said by someone who isn't risking millions of dollars for a meaningless game for a university that doesn't really care that much about them other than them putting butts in the seats.

I hate that this is now a thing. Hell, might as well start paying the players, expand the playoffs, kill all other bowls and lets have NFL Jr. That's what it is slowly becoming anyway.

My son quit his first year of midget football halfway through the season to focus on the 2025 NFL draft. Can't say I blame him. He's risking millions if he continues to play for his middle school, high school and college teams for meaningless games.

Da boi gonna get pay'd!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
How many bowl games are/were meaningful though, really?

I'm in the camp that I'm all for more football, especially this time of year when I realize the end is near. Lol.

I understood it in the case of Fournette. He has been dealing with that high ankle sprain nearly all season. If he played, he just delays it healing up.

In McCaffery's case? Not so much. If you are just afraid of getting hurt, you don't belong in the NFL anyway. If I were a part of the team's draft room, this would move him down my priority list a bit.

Bowl games, no matter how insignificant it might be in people's eyes, is still their final time to shine with their team. Sure they can get hurt, but that is why they bought insurance. Sitting out seems like a diva move.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back