Would we still want him after what we’ve seen?

TGFHeupel16

Jon Gruden and the Raiders are a train wreck
The biggest hype on this chat room this off season was the Jon Gruden hype. A lot of us(including myself) thought this was an actual possibility, and the thought of it got me hyped! I can Speak for everyone, but for me I thought getting Gruden would be like our own version of Nick Saban. Imagining the 5 star recruits clamoring to get in Tennessee to play for Chuckey was very excited. Thinking we were going to have a super bowl winning, quarterback guru, and offensive genius got me excited! Just the hype by itself would’ve surely brought in top recruiting classes. But by looking at the Raiders from last year till now has me thinking we might have dodged another train wreck! If Gruden was here I dont feel he would be recruiting like Pruitt, and now don’t think we would be any better.(maybe even worse) Pruitt comes across as the real deal of a coach. I know It’s hard to be optimistic about him right now, but all I see is good, despite the offensive struggles this year. I know you can look at it very negatively with our current record and performance again the hated Gators. But I truly feel we finally have a coach. A true football coach who WILL right this ship. He will turn out better then Mullen or Gruden would have. It’s hard to see right now, but at the same time not really. Open your eyes Vol fans! We are on our way back, just compare the attitude of the team from this time last year to now. I made this post for fun and wanted to see what y’all thought about it. Would you guys take Gruden if we could do it over and he agreed to come? Or did everything Finally work out the way it’s supposed to for us? You got my opinion. I’m sure some will disagree(flame away)
Go Big 🍊

honestly I don't think the recruits would have been anywhere near as excited to play for Gruden as our fan base believes. And I can tell you that other team's fans wanted us to hire him, because they weren't worried.

any comparison to Saban is lost unless the NFL coach already has a national title before coming to coach for us. Pete Carrol would be the only example I can think of. at least among active coaches.

Different scenarios and different motivating factors for each, imo. If he'd come to UT I think his motivation would have been high...it'd have to be. But, it wasn't so he didn't.

I think if he'd taken the UT job it would have been more about passion than chasing success. I think he's chasing success in the Now Forgotten League.

He's pointing out your account was created well after the Gruden crap; so if you were here during that time, it was with a different account.
No I just came across this web site while trying to find info on the situation. After a while, I finally became A member. This is my only account.

Also I never wanted Gruden, but the idea that Pruitt has shown so much more than Gruden would have seems like reasoning you've pulled out of your rear. There is nothing concrete shown that Pruitt to this point is doing any better than Gruden would have. Gruden would have needed time just like Pruitt is getting.

He's pointing out your account was created well after the Gruden crap; so if you were here during that time, it was with a different account.
Or he could have been like me and read the posts for years and not joined. Still doesn't stop what you think or want, if keep up with the posts.

Hmmm, I wonder why Gruden is struggling so badly in the NFL? I thought he was such a great coach?

Why did Saban struggle in Miami? Belichek in Cleveland? Sometimes the location, situation and fit is not right for a coach. Don't forget that Gruden does have a ring.

Raiders have had what, one decent season in the last decade and maybe 3-4 in the last 20 years? Gruden isn't changing that as long as Mark Davis owns the team.

The difference is in NFL it might take some free agents and drafting. Had he came to college his first signing class could be loaded. They also could suck. Which I doubt. Im certain with little work he could entice offensive weapons from high school. However all that being said. He had no interest in coaching in college and pointless for us to have ever dreamed of that scenario. I actually dislike him more for every time a rumor comes out for not squashing it before it swells up. His agent and ego get stroked. Meanwhile a fraction of our dreaming fanbase gets hopes up and smashed when Greg Schiano is the guy chosen. Lol

I always found it comical that the Grudenites just assumed he'd be an incredible college recruiter. Whatever celebrity appeal he had from MNF would wear off rather quickly. Most 17 and 18 year old kids today have no memory of his Raiders/early Tampa days (the only notably successful part of his head coaching career, BTW) and it seems reasonable they might have viewed him as a gimmicky, washed up ex-coach who played a football coach on TV.

VN Store

Back