Would Fulmer hire an LV Coach without UT ties?

Supporters like we have, with programs like Pat built, get used to a standard that virtually no one else will ever even sniff in the first place, let alone enjoy once and then duplicate. Pat had a run where we won either an SEC regular season, an SEC Tournament, an NCAA Championship, or some or all of the above, every year for like a million years straight. It was insane.

I mean obviously you want to aspire to that, you want to see that again. But can you say that's the standard? That if you're not cranking out a championship of some form every single year, we don't want you? If you want a healthy program, I don't know if we can realistically swap out coaches every few years for failing to land the next generational icon. I don't want to kick "pretty darned awesome" to the curb for not being legendary. So, where are we? It's not pretty darned awesome.

How much winning is enough? For me, I would say winning the SEC: either a regular season or the tourney every other year. A fraction of what we came to just expect year after year. You have a three year drought where you don't land one or the other, and you're done. That's what you have to maintain if you want to remain a marquee program. Be in the conversation for owning your own conference.

The SEC has belonged to South Carolina in Warlick's time here, and now Mississippi State looks strong, too. We won the tournament in 2013-2014, split the regular season with South Carolina in 2014-2015 (despite losing the head to head with them). But that's with seniors like Isabelle Harrison and Cierra Burdick and Ariel Massengale who had been recruited to the Pat brand. It's wholly Holly's team now though and we're not sniffing conference titles, and that should be the standard. Put some banners in those rafters.

But bringing it back around, will Fulmer make choices he believes are going to put banners in the rafters, regardless of whose pedigree a coach has? He'd better. Being a marquee women's basketball program should be viewed as being every bit as important to this university as football is. We owe Pat that.

Is Tara a Stanford grad?
Does Muffet have a Notre Dame undergrad degree?
Dawn go to school at So. Car.?
Brenda? Geno? Vic?
The Princeton coach, who is first-rate, played for Dartmouth, a Princeton arch-rival.

At some programs, competence is more important than tribal purity.

Hire the Princeton head coach, please. She is top-notch.

Reactions: 2 people
Holly has a contract. There is no way the university is going to continue to pay her under her current contract (a buyout) while at the same time paying a new coach for a program that loses money every year.

Football is different because of the huge potential payoffs for a successful program. A short-term hit could return a windfall to the school if the new football coach can get the school into a top bowl game.

Money is what drives these decisions, not loyalty or the desire of a handful of fans to return to the grandeur of yesteryear.

I agree with your comments except I think that more than a handful of fans desire that the LVs return to an elite status.

Jeff Walz would work wonders at UT.
It's long past time to replace Holly with him.

I was on the Walz bandwagon when Pat retired. I got absolutely crucified on "The Summitt" because I suggested
a male coach. There is a significant number of lady Vol ardent supporters who will never support Holly being let go regardless of what we do. I am convinced that the majority of the fans who attend lady Vol games on a regular basis see her as an extension of Pat and any questioning of where the program is going is heresy.

Reactions: 5 people
Agree. Think he would jump at the chance

Why would he? He's built a great program at Louisville from pretty much ground up, and they've surpassed Tennessee in terms of recent performance, he's got great facilities at his disposal, solid attendance, plus a nice compensation package. What could Tennessee possibly offer him that he doesn't already have at Louisville?

Reactions: 1 person
yes CPF would hire a coach with no ties to the Lady Vols (maybe :)

they would have to have a better than a 75% winning percentage to beat out CHW though

Why would he? He's built a great program at Louisville from pretty much ground up, and they've surpassed Tennessee in terms of recent performance, he's got great facilities at his disposal, solid attendance, plus a nice compensation package. What could Tennessee possibly offer him that he doesn't already have at Louisville?

An un-nuked athletic department? Louisville is ground zero for this mess coming up. And Lady Vol fans can beat the hell out of “solid attendance.

Maybe he wouldn't be interested but in case you have forgotten how it was when Pat was here, that would be an incentive. Coaching in the SEC could be a factor. Eight national title banners in the rafters might be influential. Who knows, maybe coaching at UT is his dream job!

I was on the Walz bandwagon when Pat retired. I got absolutely crucified on "The Summitt" because I suggested
a male coach. There is a significant number of lady Vol ardent supporters who will never support Holly being let go regardless of what we do. I am convinced that the majority of the fans who attend lady Vol games on a regular basis see her as an extension of Pat and any questioning of where the program is going is heresy.

^Boom!

For many it's all about Holly and not about the program. Sad.

While it is true that money is a factor, $650k or whatever is a drop in the bucket to immediately satisfy the legion of LV fans that have been donating to the University. Not only that, it just needs to be done now, not tomorrow.

I believe Fulmer will do what's best for Tennessee if and when he hires a new Lady Vols basketball coach. I do believe Holly is like Butch. Both are in way over their heads. We got rid of the Butch problem time to move on to Holly.

VN Store

Back