Worst tournament loss?

Which is Tennessee's most heart-breaking tournament loss in recent memory?

• Total voters
Virginia in the early 80s ? (w Ralph Sampson I think) I seem to remember we blew a 30 point lead...

I see that they beat us by 3 in 1982, but I cannot find a recap of the game anywhere. I doubt we were up by 30 if the final was 54-51. In 1981, they beat us 62-48.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it telling that almost all VN polls these days are "which was worst," "who was worst" or "most heartbreaking" questions?

Was at the Mich St. game

we missed free throws but our pg at the time (goins maybe?) got MAULED at the end of the game should have been two fts...

This. Our guy got hacked by two defenders, no call, a guy flops on Stokes, (he admitted it) foul. Refs decide both games.

Lets look at the games that we won and we weren't favored to win or the games that we won by determination and a little LUCK!

Several Florida games, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Texas, Kentucky (Billy Gillespie)

What about games that we should have won but lost miserably.

Southern Cal, Oakland x 4, S.E.C. tourney in Atlanta when the game was moved to Georgia Tech facility and we lost to Arkansas........

Reactions: 1 person
The garbage performance by the Lady Vols in the first half of today's game against Maryland might need to be added to the list. This is horrible. Sloppy play and big mental lapses are killing us.

Over the past decade of Tennessee basketball, we've witnessed several incredibly heartbreaking losses. This one certainly ranks up there, but I'm honestly having a hard time deciding which is the worst.

The 2007 team actually had a shot, in my opinion, at playing for and maybe winning a title. This team did not. While the loss itself was hard to swallow, it did not signal the end of any title hopes I was holding.

MSU as the Worst Loss.
By that I mean as in where they were in the tournament.

If I recall right there would multiple plays of where they didn't make baskets that would have resulted in them winning.

A great Season ended with a damn bitter loss leaving me and all other Big Orange fans wondering what could have been.
Vols were a win away from a Final Four Appearnce that's damn harrowing.

So once again another damn bitter loss against a Michigan team.

I see that they beat us by 3 in 1982, but I cannot find a recap of the game anywhere. I doubt we were up by 30 if the final was 54-51. In 1981, they beat us 62-48.
In '82 we led the whole game against UVA until the last minute. Our biggest lead was 10. Dale Ellis guarded Ralph Sampson and held him to zero ( yes, "0") points for the first 39 minutes. It's the best individual UT defensive performance I have seen in my 40 years of being a UT fan. Our guards (Beaman, Brooks) couldn't make front ends of one and ones at the end to salt away the win. That one hurt a lot as did both the VMI crazy loss on '76 and the Syracuse loss the next year.

In '81 we were actually ahead of UVa by 5 at the half.

In '80 we lost to Maryland in another miserable way. Again we were up 10 and Reggie Johnson was lights out. Lefty then worked the refs, got all sorts of horrible calls and pulled it out over us.

I still say the 20 point blown lead to Ohio St. was worse. We were in complete control of that game.

Exactly, and Pearl let it slip away because he did not know how to run a half-court offense and eat clock. And then when they had one last chance at the end of the game he did not call timeout and get the ball in the hands of perhaps one of the best shooters in Tennessee history.

Exactly, and Pearl let it slip away because he did not know how to run a half-court offense and eat clock. And then when they had one last chance at the end of the game he did not call timeout and get the ball in the hands of perhaps one of the best shooters in Tennessee history.

So this would make it a Dallas cowboys style loss.
Get so damn close only to choke away the lead.

I was heart broken. I literally could not pick myself up from the floor for an hour.

VN Store

Back