Wonderlic scores for QBs

Wonderlic is a waste. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored like a billion and he couldn't play dead in a western.

You got one example. Here's a much better representation/sample size....

Eli Manning, scored 39, 2 Super Bowl wins, 2 SB appearances
Aaron Rodgers, 35, 1 win, 1 appearance
Tom Brady, 33, 5 wins, 7 appearances
Steve Young, 33, 1 win, 1 appearance
John Elway, 29, 2 wins, 5 appearances
Peyton Manning, 2 wins, 4 appearances
Drew Brees, 28, 1 win, 1 appearance
Russell Wilson, 28, 1 win, 2 appearances
Joe Flacco, 27, 1 win, 1 appearance
Ben Roethlisberger, 2 wins, 2 appearances

So if we assume that 25 and higher is a good score, which it is, and set that as the cutoff point, that's a pretty good list. It breaks down like this....

-10 of the best Super Bowl winning QBs the last 30 years
-average score 30.6
-17 Super Bowl wins, 27 Super Bowl appearances

I'm not saying the wunderlich is 100% predictive, it's far from it, as every thing/tool GMs use to assess and evaluate qb prospects are. However, it's far from useless as it measures a player's ability to quickly process information and make decisions from it.

Not the end all be all, but certainly one of many assessments to be used in putting together a complete player evaluation.

Reactions: 2 people
You got one example. Here's a much better representation/sample size....

Eli Manning, scored 39, 2 Super Bowl wins, 2 SB appearances
Aaron Rodgers, 35, 1 win, 1 appearance
Tom Brady, 33, 5 wins, 7 appearances
Steve Young, 33, 1 win, 1 appearance
John Elway, 29, 2 wins, 5 appearances
Peyton Manning, 2 wins, 4 appearances
Drew Brees, 28, 1 win, 1 appearance
Russell Wilson, 28, 1 win, 2 appearances
Joe Flacco, 27, 1 win, 1 appearance
Ben Roethlisberger, 2 wins, 2 appearances

So if we assume that 25 and higher is a good score, which it is, and set that as the cutoff point, that's a pretty good list. It breaks down like this....

-10 of the best Super Bowl winning QBs the last 30 years
-average score 30.6
-17 Super Bowl wins, 27 Super Bowl appearances

I'm not saying the wunderlich is 100% predictive, it's far from it, as every thing/tool GMs use to assess and evaluate qb prospects are. However, it's far from useless as it measures a player's ability to quickly process information and make decisions from it.

Not the end all be all, but certainly one of many assessments to be used in putting together a complete player evaluation.

From 1998 on...only 1 NFL team has won the Super Bowl with a QB with a sub 25 Wonderlic and that was the Baltimore Ravens in 2001 (possibly the greatest NFL defense ever). Trent Dilfer had a 22.

In addition, you forgot Troy Aikman, who had a 29. That's 3 more SB appearances/wins to your stats.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem with your logic is McElroy wasn't talented enough to be an NFL player. I took two sample tests last week and scored a 44. I'm not starting on a NFL team for the same reason that McElroy isn't...I'm not talented enough.
44 is pretty strong. I scored a 34. If I took it again, I would give upon a couple of questions and move on. I wasted too much time on some questions.

44 is pretty strong. I scored a 34. If I took it again, I would give upon a couple of questions and move on. I wasted too much time on some questions.

I wasted too much time on too many questions.

Do they get a hard copy or take it on a screen?

The Wonderlic test is, by no means, the be-all and end-all when it comes to predicting the future on-field success of an NFL prospect. Plenty of players (Gore, Bradshaw) score abnormally low relative to their respective position's average and go on to have great careers, while tons of guys (McElroy, Gabbert) score brilliantly and have less than stellar careers. Kaaya and Peterman are not the standouts of this year's QB class, just as Watson's not going to be a bust.

That being said, we can now stop pretending that Dobbs' major and brains are going to translate into him being a solid contributor at the next level; there's nothing wrong with the score of 29, but that's not the score belonging to the draft's smartest player.

As for this test and how it plays out for lots of players goes, use the bumblebee analogy. Wing area too small to support body for flight, dumbass bee don't know it and goes ahead and flies anyway. Many guys don't know they must score high on this test to suit nurd evaluations and play like hell anyway!

You know the bee analogy you use is made up b.s. right? It's one of those "them know it all scientists don't know it all and only say stuff to make me feel dumb" tropes. It's crap, no scientist ever said that.

http://www.snopes.com/science/bumblebees.asp

Wonderlic is a waste. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored like a billion and he couldn't play dead in a western.

Neither could Jamarcus Russell... Anecdotes are fun!

....but they prove nothing. One story or example does not an entire sampling make.

For the QB position I think it matters. Off the top of my head, I remember Akili Smith and JaMarcus Russell scoring pretty bad. Vince Young didn't do well either, but at least had a few decent years.

Akili Smith scored a 37, which is one of the reasons he was drafted way too high.

From 1998 on...only 1 NFL team has won the Super Bowl with a QB with a sub 25 Wonderlic and that was the Baltimore Ravens in 2001 (possibly the greatest NFL defense ever). Trent Dilfer had a 22.

In addition, you forgot Troy Aikman, who had a 29. That's 3 more SB appearances/wins to your stats.

Good get, not sure how I missed Troy. Furthers the point.

Reactions: 1 person
Just took the quick online version and scored a 38. I'm smarter than Dobbs? Apparently I'm also qualified to QB in the NFL.

Ever notice that nobody ever races in here to post "Just took a sample Wonderlic. It was a struggle and I got a 14"?

You mean Dobbs didn't ace it with a 50 something?

I think he was required to complete the test with half his brain tied behind his back.

29-34...That is a pretty high group of scorers if you ask me. I wonder how Dobbs would have done with finals in the rearview mirror?

Good job Dobbs and Peterman! Putting that top shelf Tennessee education to work no doubt.

VN Store

Back