With the help of Phillip Fulmer Etsu hires Former NC/LT head coach Carl Torbush

National Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 1996
While at North Carolina, Torbush's defenses led the ACC in 1995, 1996 and 1997
SEC Assistant Coach of the Year in 2002.

“I believe Carl Torbush is the right coach at the right time to bring ETSU football back. I also believe he will be competing for Southern Conference championships very soon. Carl brings a wealth of experience and unlimited energy to the challenges ahead. He has had success at all levels of football, and he understands recruiting student-athletes that make their academics important. He will be a great mentor as these young men grow from adolescence into manhood. Carl knows how to build character and leadership on his team and staff, and he knows how to communicate with the administration and faculty. He will work at making football relevant and important to the ETSU family.” — Phillip Fulmer

As badly as ETSU will get beaten up for the first few years, I think he's a very good hire. From all accounts, he's a legitimately good guy. While he may not win more than 2 games in any of his seasons at ETSU, I believe he will get the program headed in the right direction for whomever his successor may be.

And how in Hades would "not winning any more than two games in any season" be getting the program going in the right direction? Two wins in any season is going in the wrong direction for any successor. Strange reasoning or (lack of) logic.

I'm not saying starting a new football program is easy, but some of you talking about 2 wins being the max throughout an entire coaching tenure are making it out to be harder than it actually is IMO. Look at the group of teams that started since 2009 for example. ODU, University of New Haven, University of South Alabama, Georgia State (though they have decline significantly since year 1), University of Texas at San Antonio, and Lamar University have all had seasons above 2 wins and some of them have been pretty successful.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/109811/etsu-chooses-taylor-as-defensive-coordinator

Former buc Billy Taylor confirmed as DC
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Failed UNC/NC State coaches combining. This ought to be good for the Bucs.

Picking up some coaches with high d1 experience even if it was not all successful should still translate well in d2 (recruiting primarily)

National Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 1996
While at North Carolina, Torbush's defenses led the ACC in 1995, 1996 and 1997
SEC Assistant Coach of the Year in 2002.

“I believe Carl Torbush is the right coach at the right time to bring ETSU football back. I also believe he will be competing for Southern Conference championships very soon. Carl brings a wealth of experience and unlimited energy to the challenges ahead. He has had success at all levels of football, and he understands recruiting student-athletes that make their academics important. He will be a great mentor as these young men grow from adolescence into manhood. Carl knows how to build character and leadership on his team and staff, and he knows how to communicate with the administration and faculty. He will work at making football relevant and important to the ETSU family.” — Phillip Fulmer

18 years ago for the DC of the year. Most of the kids he'll be recruiting weren't even born.

Added Eric Losey who is a former player as o-line coach

Was formerly an assistant at Florida State, Western Kentucky, and Alcorn State among others

A bit off topic, but given that a ETSU will be back in the Southern Conference starting this fall, does anyone know if this will have any sort of benefits in regards to the basketball teams at ETSU?

A bit off topic, but given that a ETSU will be back in the Southern Conference starting this fall, does anyone know if this will have any sort of benefits in regards to the basketball teams at ETSU?

You're recruiting into a better conference so it will obviously help, but they are still recruiting a player to play in one of the worst set of basketball facilities in D1.

You're recruiting into a better conference so it will obviously help, but they are still recruiting a player to play in one of the worst set of basketball facilities in D1.

Not that either the Atlantic Sun or the Southern Conference is a major powerhouse compared to the SEC or ACC, but in terms up teams getting the upset and making it beyond the Round of 64 in basketball play, even if only advancing to the Round of 32 and out, is it more common for a SoCon team to do something like that, actually having a decent change to win at least one game, or are both conferences pretty much even in that regard?

I know once back in the 1990s that ETSU pulled an upset against a team from Arizona, advancing to the Round of 32, and that Chattanooga once advanced as far as the Sweet Sixteen, but I've also seen A-Sun member Florida Gulf Coast go on an unexpected run to the Sweet Sixteen in 2013, so it isn't like either conference hasn't had some degree of success come March.

The A-Sun is actually be a better conference by talent in pure basketball terms, but there's more money and more recognition in the Southern Conference from an all around athletics department look at things.

VN Store

Back