Will WV be able to rise above the pressure?!

Hopefully the Mountaineers have "Drop Tested" those rifles cuz after 20 minutes they are gonna fold like the French and cut a hasty retreat back to Morgantown!

Well, a common denominator last year between UT and WVU was UGA and OU during the CFP. I'm not one to link games to results because there is always exceptions. But some here tend to do that, so then I will to. UGA played OU and it was pretty close for 4 quarters. Now compare WVU's results against OU (away game) vs UT's results vs UGA (at HOME). Not even close.
1534386247904.gif

Well, a common denominator last year between UT and WVU was UGA and OU during the CFP. I'm not one to link games to results because there is always exceptions. But some here tend to do that, so then I will to. UGA played OU and it was pretty close for 4 quarters. Now compare WVU's results against OU (away game) vs UT's results vs UGA (at HOME). Not even close.

This not your Leotard Lyle's coached and developed team, so that's a false comparison.

Transitive property never applies to college football.

Lessons from Oklahoma State:

1. The game was nowhere near as close as the score. OSU dominated. On consecutive possessions, WVU got a blocked punt for TD and a pick 6. They picked up a "cheap" offensive TD late in the game after OSU went soft on D to shorten the game.
  2. Both teams turned the ball over. There was light rain at different points of the game but lack of ball discipline on fumbles was a factor. Grier threw 4 INT's. WVU had more turnovers. They were unable to capitalize on some early OSU turnovers that would have kept the game tighter early.
  3. OSU offense takeaways:
    1. Running at WVU is still a good plan. In particular run directly at #11 Long and make him fill a gap. He reminds you of a Chavis era UT LB. He's about 5'11" 215 and runs really well. He's at his best taking angles to the ball and using his speed. But if you can make him take on an OL or blocking back you neutralize him.
    2. OSU averaged 180 ypg on the year rushing and had 246 vs WVU... with Mason Rudolph as their QB. It was intentional and OSU's OL bullied WVU's D for most of the day.
    3. WVU secondary and scheme appear to be susceptible to crossing routes and seams.
    4. It could have been worse. OSU lost discipline for a while and did some really stupid stuff.
  4. OSU defense takeaways:
    1. OSU is the most like UT athletically on D of any of the WVU opponents I've watched. They are bigger than other opponents on the DL in particular but athletic. This caused WVU's OL a lot of problems.
    2. WVU couldn't run the ball vs OSU and often OSU stopped them with 3 down and LBs/DBs playing way off the ball.
    3. OSU changed the looks and disguised D's well. I saw several bluff blitzes that confused Grier into throwing mistakes. They managed to time WVU so that they brought blitzes or pressures after it was too late for WVU to audible. It was pretty impressive.
    4. Grier gets reckless when pressured. We've seen that before but his success since might make you think he got past it. He may have now but OSU got pressure both from their down linemen and different blitzers. At times, Grier just blindly heaved the ball into coverage.
    5. Grier made bad decisions when OSU made late count adjustments or shifts. That was particularly true when pressure was threatened from his left.
    6. OSU is the first opponent I've seen that used press man often against them. They shut Sills V down. That's important because Grier often depends on him as a fail safe. He just wasn't open the whole game.
    7. OSU traded some big play opportunities for shutting down the short and mid-range passes WVU lives off of. WVU's 2nd offensive TD was after they were down in the 2nd half and trying to mount a comeback. Grier caught an OSU CB in single coverage and threw a 50/50 ball up. The CB misplayed it, fell down, and WVU's WR hauled it in for a 68 yd TD.

Last edited:
Transitive property never applies to college football.
No. But there is something to be observed if the margins are directly linked to talent. I think there's a case to be made that OU and UGA are somewhat similar in talent and that WVU is nowhere close to either in raw talent across the board.

No. But there is something to be observed if the margins are directly linked to talent. I think there's a case to be made that OU and UGA are somewhat similar in talent and that WVU is nowhere close to either in raw talent across the board.
And yet provided a better game AWAY vs UT in their house. Hmmmm.

And yet provided a better game AWAY vs UT in their house. Hmmmm.
The answer to your "hmmmmm" is that UT's issue was most likely poor coaching and lack of development. Now it is "possible" that UT's performance was a completely accurate representation of roster talent and that Jones managed to find an incredible number of overrated recruits. Possible. Pretty unlikely.

WVU doesn't recruit well comparatively according to the recruiting sites... and their performance against teams that do reflects that.

To be fair, Grier didn't play vs OU and was the centerpiece of WVU's O. But to also be fair... UT had so many injuries last year that I don't think they had the same starting 5 OL's for more than a couple of games in a row at any point. Best WR was injured in the first game. Injuries throughout the D. Jones simply did not prepare nor manage a roster well.

Reactions: Rocky_top08
The answer to your "hmmmmm" is that UT's issue was most likely poor coaching and lack of development. Now it is "possible" that UT's performance was a completely accurate representation of roster talent and that Jones managed to find an incredible number of overrated recruits. Possible. Pretty unlikely.

WVU doesn't recruit well comparatively according to the recruiting sites... and their performance against teams that do reflects that.

To be fair, Grier didn't play vs OU and was the centerpiece of WVU's O. But to also be fair... UT had so many injuries last year that I don't think they had the same starting 5 OL's for more than a couple of games in a row at any point. Best WR was injured in the first game. Injuries throughout the D. Jones simply did not prepare nor manage a roster well.
And it was only your 5th game of the season. WVU played OU on game 12. And yes, we didn't have the centerpiece of the offense.

And it was only your 5th game of the season. WVU played OU on game 12. And yes, we didn't have the centerpiece of the offense.
And? UT left training camp with several guys from the two deep already injured. Jones did a lot of things poorly. One was managing injuries. By game 5, instead of settling into his starting QB role... Dormady was already nursing some injuries to include a bad shoulder that would require surgery a few weeks later. Maybe you don't follow UT close enough to know about the constant plague of injuries over Jones' tenure?

But why are you avoiding the actual point? Do you think WVU has talent comparable to OU or UGA? Do you think UT's primary problem was coaching and development or do you really believe that many players were overrated over a 4 or 5 year span?

Reactions: Type Orange+
Oh boy as long as we are in the imaginary football league I want a turn!

Tenn and wv both played an ACC opponent. UT beat Ga Tech. In Atlanta. Va Tech thumped wv. Ga Tech thumped Va Tech. What does the transitive football principle tell you boys about that? Except the Vols were undefeated vs. the ACC and wv went 0 fer.

Oh boy as long as we are in the imaginary football league I want a turn!

Tenn and wv both played an ACC opponent. UT beat Ga Tech. In Atlanta. Va Tech thumped wv. Ga Tech thumped Va Tech. What does the transitive football principle tell you boys about that? Except the Vols were undefeated vs. the ACC and wv went 0 fer.
What is your definition of thump because virginia tech beat WVU by a touchdown late in the 4th quarter. And Georgia Tech beat Virginia Tech by 6. None of this matters anyway now that we have actual coaches on the sideline. On the other hand Dana Holgerson is going into his 8th year at WVU and hasn't sniffed a Big 12 title yet. UT wins this one 27-24.

Dana Holgorsen would be an interesting Vandy head coach for 2019
When Derek Mason gets fired after a 2-10/3-9 season this year, it's hard to imagine any worthwhile coach touching that school with a 10 foot pole. Immediate disadvantage due to the (claimed) academic requirements, and their athletic facilities are just terrible for any Power 5 standard. Not to mention their leaders at the top Zeppos and Williams wouldn't mind seeing the football program eliminated in the name of academia. Vandy reached the the absolute pinnacle of success with James Franklin and also coinciding with UT's lost decade. I hope Derek Mason the best as a DC somewhere out west when he gets fired... seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
When Derek Mason gets fired after a 2-10/3-9 season this year, it's hard to imagine any worthwhile coach touching that school with a 10 foot pole. Immediate disadvantage due to the (claimed) academic requirements, and their athletic facilities are just terrible for any Power 5 standard. Not to mention their leaders at the top Zeppos and Williams wouldn't mind seeing the football program eliminated in the name of academia. Vandy reached the the absolute pinnacle of success with James Franklin and also coinciding with UT's lost decade. I hope Derek Mason the best as a DC somewhere out west when he gets fired... seems like a good guy.
Larry Fedora when he gets canned by North Carolina in December will be another candidate for the Vandy head coaching job.

The question for West Virginia is can they regularly rise above 6-7 wins a season
I think we have a decent enough sample size of the past 7 seasons to say no. They'll have the occasional 10 win season every few years, but since Holgerson has been coach there they have averaged 7.5-5 per season (53-37 overall).

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It

VN Store

Back