Will Texas A&M or Missouri

I say welcome to the SEC. I like Mizzou even though most don't think you fit in the SEC. I like it because the powers that be weren't scared of the competition of this league. For the record was a smart move in the event Big 12 ever implodes you had a destination. Again I liked the "We are Mizzou" video.

You are in the minority.

You are in the minority.

I see it as frat kids proud of their school having fun. Ive read their interviews in the Columbian newspaper online. Seem like genuinely realize they arent rappers just goofing.

I say welcome to the SEC. I like Mizzou even though most don't think you fit in the SEC. I like it because the powers that be weren't scared of the competition of this league. For the record was a smart move in the event Big 12 ever implodes you had a destination. Again I liked the "We are Mizzou" video.

Appreciate it. Yeah the fanbase saw that the SEC invite was attainable and we really pressured the administration into following through. It was a smart move for even more that just that reason. Big games every week, much better recruiting, higher ticket sales, higher presence within the state, much larger booster donations, etc.

Oh and by the way. The We are Mizzou video was Garbage. Pure Trash. Even the kids have separated themselves from it.

No doubt. If I wasnt from StL then I would seriously question even driving to Knoxville because of the distance.

Us west coasters finally get to tell you east coasters to suck it up and deal with it. :p

We consider a drive to Los Angeles a reasonable weekend trip to make maybe once a year, and it's about the same as if you were to drive to NYC.

Here's my thoughts on what I consider traditional rivals in our new conference:

Alabama - Auburn/Tenn
Auburn - Alabama
Ole Miss - LSU/Miss Lite
Miss Lite - Ole Miss
Arkansas - LSU/TAMU
LSU - Arkansas/Tamu/Ole Miss
TAMU - Arkansas/LSU

Tenn - Vandy/Alabama/Florida
Vandy - Tenn
SCAR - ? Us now I guess. Maybe Florida too because of the Visor, but whatever. (I still think their true rival is NCst and UNC)
Florida - Tenn and (FSU)
Kentucky - Tenn
UGA - Florida and (Georgia Tech)
Mizzou - ? but really (Kansas) A good fit IMO would be SCAR though. With the exception of basketball, the two programs are on par with eachother.

How close am I on this?

I completely understand the reasoning behind some of your explinations that Bama and LSU are rivals, Florida and Bama, so on and so forth, but its my understanding historically, this is how it really was/is/should be. Of course, the two top tier programs are going to be "considered rivals" based on the magnitude of the game in which they face eachother. Geographically and historically speaking though, this is how I see it and always have.

One can make a case though that every Saturday in the SEC is a rivalry game. Comes with being in competition with the elite.

Well sure, but I was primarily thinking football. There would be some tweaks to that list if I focused on all sports individually obviously.

Alabama - Auburn/Tenn
Auburn - Alabama
Ole Miss - LSU/Miss Lite
Miss Lite - Ole Miss
Arkansas - LSU/TAMU
TAMU - Arkansas/LSU

Vandy - Tenn
SCAR - ? Us now I guess. Maybe Florida too because of the Visor, but whatever. (I still think their true rival is NCst and UNC)
Florida - Tenn and (FSU)
Kentucky - Tenn
UGA - Florida and (Georgia Tech)
Mizzou - ? but really (Kansas) A good fit IMO would be SCAR though. With the exception of basketball, the two programs are on par with eachother.

How close am I on this?

I completely understand the reasoning behind some of your explinations that Bama and LSU are rivals, Florida and Bama, so on and so forth, but its my understanding historically, this is how it really was/is/should be. Of course, the two top tier programs are going to be "considered rivals" based on the magnitude of the game in which they face eachother. Geographically and historically speaking though, this is how I see it and always have.

Impressive, you've got a lot of it but there were a few you missed.

Auburn and UGA both consider each other fairly big rivals; it's nicknamed *" the deep south's oldest rivalry" as well as one of the reasons the permanent cross-division opponents set up was created.

UF also considers UGA big rivals (world's largest outdoor party game).

Auburn and LSU are pretty big rivals with each other, though I'm uncertain how historic (/long) the rivalry is

If you're including Vandy for TN, then UK also needs to be there; it was a game played for a trophy (a painted wooden beer barrel) until the late 90s.

Someone else said UK and Louisville are rivals.

South Carolina - though still having some once and a while ties to UNC and NC st - would most likely have Clemson as their biggest rival (the "UF-USC" idea is kinda stretched though the same way as you claim "LSU-Bama" to not fit fully).

I'm not certain how big ole miss and LSU are to each other rivalry wise (just not fully familiar with the two programs); if so though, Miss St and AL fall under some similar lines, though I couldn't tell you how reciprocated that one is by each side.

One worth note - though hard to gauge due to the sizes of the schools - would be Ole Miss-Vandy. The two have played 86 times, the last 53 years in a row (and 67 of the last 68 years). I can't tell you how highly they regard each other as rivals.

Missouri's likely playing Arky yearly so that should develop as one...some others more than likely will come relative to performances

Last edited:

Alabama - Auburn/Tenn/MSU is Bama's longest-running rivalry. They are the closest schools by geography in the entire league
Auburn - Alabama/UGA/UF used to be a huge rival but they don't play every year anymore
Ole Miss - LSU/Miss Lite
Miss Lite - Ole Miss/Alabama
Arkansas - LSU/TAMU
TAMU - Arkansas/LSU

Vandy - Tenn
Florida - Tenn and (FSU)UGA
Kentucky - Tenn
UGA - Florida and (Georgia Tech)Auburn

Fixed your list a bit. You could also argue that LSU has decent rivalries with Auburn and Bama, but both have amped up in intensity in recent years. Neither rivalry is historically significant.

I'm embarrassed that I failed to list the UGA/Florida rivalry. I knew of that one and overlooked it.

Apparently according to you, I wasnt that far off base on the others though. In regards to the Ole Miss list, I've had people undereducated on the subject contest me that LSU is not a rival for them. I've spoke with and got to know several Ole Miss alums who swear on their life they hate the Tigers far more than anyone from Starksville. Seems silly considering how one sided it has been, but thats their superbowl.

Anyhow, thanks for the insight. Look forward to seeing newly formed rivals maybe. Maybe even a little cross division hate...who knows?

Mizzou rival will naturally be Arkansas. They should name the game the Walmart Bowl due to both schools connections to the Waslton family.

VN Store

Back