Will our QB actually keep it sometimes and run this year?

They need to read it and when the option is there to keep it, do it. Hopefully a year under their belt will make them better at this.

I agree. And I would add that they need to do it quickly. The thing that irritated me the most last year on offense was how slow plays were to develop. I've seen little league teams be more decisive. There really seemed to be no fluidity at the QB position. Reads were taking too long to process and defenses had too much time to snuff out the play.

I honestly can't tell you why Worley didn't run on the read option more often. I don't know if it was a coaches decision to use Worley as a decoy on the read or if Worley legitimately didn't want or see an opportunity to run on those plays.

I can say that I would like to see our QB run more often, regardless of who it is.

You kidding us? If read option is the package, then the QB needs to read and call the correct play, keeping it when the D allows for such. CBJ thinking he is running a read option offense and telling his QB not to read for the run is silly. The QB's last year, Worley mostly, when running the read option just never decided to keep for what ever reasons. No way in hell CBJ was game planning that the UT QB's running the read option would not actually read the play and ever keep, that would be counter productive obviously to the scheme being played. The QB's just never wanted to keep or could not "read" when it was the time to keep. That has to change or else the O needs a new scheme, because if you are running the read option, your QB better be ready to keep and read when appropriate,else it is a wasted system.

I don't disagree with you, but that implies some serious ineptitude on the part of Worley (Don't let sjt find your post). Wouldn't it be as easy to correct as seeing Worley in the film room after like, the second game and Coach Bajakian saying "Justin, you should be keeping it more often, a lot more"?

Neocon, I understand your point with respect to Worley, but Dobbs ran for 189 yards last year despite starting in only four games. If those stats were projected over a full season, Josh would have wound up with about 500 yards rushing, which is more than any Tennessee quarterback has amassed in a single season since Jimmy Streater ran for 593 yards and 10 touchdowns in 1978 (1978 Tennessee Volunteers Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com).

Last edited:
What exactly is the quarterback "reading" on that play? Whether the tackle blocks his guy toward middle, or toward outside?

The back side DE or OLB, depending on the defensive alignment, whoever has backside contain. If they crash, pull it and keep it.

VN Store

Back