Will Mason lose his job this year?

There is no way that they pull the plug until the end of his second year at the earliest, and even then they would have to have 2 sucky seasons in a row (by Vandy standards).

By then the damage will have been done with a couple of triple digit recruiting classes.

They don't have UT as a home game next year. They're season ticket sales will be at such a pathetic low mixed with fan apathy at the end of this year that I think they may do it. This was absolutely one of the worst hires in the history of college football. This man has no clue what to do and I kinda feel sorry for him. He's already lost the players on the team 2 games in.. Not to mention the fanbase (as small as it is) .. So I really don't see how he lasts another year. It's really that bad.

3 weeks ago at practice, 104.5 had Mason on the air and he said that Vandy was equally as talented if not more than Stanford on defense and were only behind them offensively. Dude must not have realized what he had at Stanford.

3 weeks ago at practice, 104.5 had Mason on the air and he said that Vandy was equally as talented if not more than Stanford on defense and were only behind them offensively. Dude must not have realized what he had at Stanford.

If that's the case then the PAC 10,12,14 must really suck.

They are in a bad spot. Fire him now and they scare away any coach that has any stability in his present job, don't fire him now and they still have Derek Mason staring at the field completely lost on what to do.

They are in a bad spot. Fire him now and they scare away any coach that has any stability in his present job, don't fire him now and they still have Derek Mason staring at the field completely lost on what to do.

Fire him or not fire him....

At the end of the day they're still Vandy.

So...what does it REALLY matter?

100% agree. They are screwed

Honestly at this point I'm among the people that feel sorry for the guy. This is his big break and it could not be any more disastrous. I'm sure he was ecstatic when he got the call, and anytime you get a huge opportunity it sits in the back of your mind "what if?" "What if I come out and my team just can't score?" "What if I lose my first game to a cupcake team?" He's living that reality right now and I doubt he's sleeping well at night. The poor guy looks like a whipped puppy in his interviews and the people interviewing him are just beating him over the head and he obviously doesn't know how to handle it.

Now on the flip side of that, he's also completely screwing over Patton Robinette. PR is clearly, indisputably, undoubtedly the better of the 2 QB's and was even named the starter, only to be pulled after going 4-6 in his first 6 throws. He hasn't seen the field since. Mason obviously just liked Rivers better and was always looking for a reason to put him in, regardless of the fact that Rivers is awful. I mean..... terribly awful.

But yeah to answer the OP in short, they lose to UMass this weekend and he doesn't make it through the season.

Side note: in all this I certainly don't feel sorry for their fans, not in the least bit. Screw their fans. I saw a post the other day after the Ole Miss game that said "UT doesn't look good. They've played a couple of cupcakes and struggled. But with the way we're playing even they could probably beat us."

Unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
I predicted before the season even started that Mason would be a crap hire. Yaknowman?

Side note: in all this I certainly don't feel sorry for their fans, not in the least bit. Screw their fans. I saw a post the other day after the Ole Miss game that said "UT doesn't look good. They've played a couple of cupcakes and struggled. But with the way we're playing even they could probably beat us."

Unbelievable.

And unfortunately if anyone tries to actually refute comments like that, they are automatically banned and the posts deleted.

It's one thing to be a homer. It's another thing entirely to be so authoritarian you won't allow dissent on your board or anyone to actually make a comment contrary to the party line.

Mason will make more money this year than a lot of you will make over the next 30 years. Don't feel bad for him

Reactions: 2 people
If Vandy was smart they cut him lose very early and just promote an assistant for interim. That would at least possibly reinspire the team. Then they should wait out the season and look for someone more qualified. If they don't they'll lose the current team, recruits, and still be in the same spot at the end of the year.

Reactions: Weezer
he's not gonna get fired. besides. karma is a butch. they has their coupla years. NOW. the football gods have spoken, they know whats coming. Vandy doesnt beat Tennessee without some type of retribution. its been a fluke for last coupla years. They understand whats about to happen. Karma. call it what you will. its time to pay unto Caesar, what is Caesar's. And if i came across with a bit if a superiority complex as a UT fan. good. that was my pt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
It's not like Vandy had a lot to chose from when they hired Mason. They were very fortunate to get him away from Standford.

It's not like Vandy had a lot to chose from when they hired Mason. They were very fortunate to get him away from Standford.

They turned down Chad Morris. I think there was interest in the open position, but their AD had a boner to make their team in Stanford's image.

The Nashville sports media is already calling out the "wakos" for knee jerk reacting and stating that Mason cannot be evaluated until after the 2015 season. It's clear that they've gotten the word to lay off Mason.

Would be funny if they fired him after a year. No one is going to coach a program like Vanderbilt if they know they only have one season(fans already want him gone after two games) to win. I've never seen a fan base become so entitled, so quickly. Years of losing, small stadium, inferior facilities, little fan base. They had two 9 win seasons and suddenly they think they're big time and coaches will come running to them. I mean, come on. Those 9 win seasons are also two of their only three winning seasons in like the past 25 years. They have some high standards despite their program having been garbage for decades. Vandy will have to resort to hiring high school coaches if they cut Mason after one year.

VN Store

Back