Will Blackburn restore names to all Lady Vols programs

The changing of names is a dead issue regardless of who the new AD is. The decision was a university one and not one that Dave Hart generated. Outside of UT circles we were already getting flack over using the term "Lady". It was viewed by many as sexist.

Wasnt Nike part the decision ?

Reactions: 1 person
The changing of names is a dead issue regardless of who the new AD is. The decision was a university one and not one that Dave Hart generated. Outside of UT circles we were already getting flack over using the term "Lady". It was viewed by many as sexist.

piss on em :hi: evidently the fans and probably the players and coaches like the term Lady Vols, we know the coaches and players were probably put under pressure to keep there opinions to themselves and yes,that is just my opinion

I don't know if it was Hart,Nike,the powers above Hart or the boosters,that wanted to drop the name,but it was handled poorly by Hart

I don't think they expected the backlash just so they could be PC or whatever they were thinking,when the decision was made ,I for one hate them dropping the name Lady Vols and a lot of others evidently did too

and I do hope that Blackburn gets the job,but till it is announced,I'm not putting a lot of stock into it :)

Reactions: 2 people
The only backlash as come from old people in orange sweaters at women's basketball games--the same fans who've followed the Vols for 30+ years. I respect them, sort of, but the term "lady vols" is antiquated; the logo is antiquated. Do I expect diehard southerners, who are mired in the past and hate change and still pine for separate bathrooms for negroes, to agree? No, I don't. This is the region that elected Trump, who just appointed an old Alabama racist for Attorney General. Hooray for the South--wave your rebel flags, ladies, and check the pie in the oven. Harlan will be hungry when he gets back from the rodeo. The issue has nothing to do with being "pc." It has to do with having one name for the university's sports teams, which is practical in many ways, and recognizing that it is 2016.

In the south you are either a Lady Or a *****, I like Lady Vol's much better.

The only backlash as come from old people in orange sweaters at women's basketball games--the same fans who've followed the Vols for 30+ years. I respect them, sort of, but the term "lady vols" is antiquated; the logo is antiquated. Do I expect diehard southerners, who are mired in the past and hate change and still pine for separate bathrooms for negroes, to agree? No, I don't. This is the region that elected Trump, who just appointed an old Alabama racist for Attorney General. Hooray for the South--wave your rebel flags, ladies, and check the pie in the oven. Harlan will be hungry when he gets back from the rodeo. The issue has nothing to do with being "pc." It has to do with having one name for the university's sports teams, which is practical in many ways, and recognizing that it is 2016.

you mean the fans that have supported the program for those 30 plus years ?

and to be honest I have no idea where the rest of that drivel came from

Reactions: 3 people
At times you make some good points about the team but this whole post is stupid and over the top. I'm from the hills and damn proud of it and the views you stated are not my views at all and not even close. There is no justification for these statements of yours and definitely no place for it on this forum. I defend the name Lady Vols and I want it back for all teams that want to be known as the Lady Vols. The rest of the crap you spewed, you can stick it where the sun don't shine. It's offensive and not relative.

Reactions: 7 people
And the dumb poster of the year award, 2016 addition, goes to the 10 time and undefeated champion of idiotic, stupid and ridiculous statements, our very own, ARMCHAIR.

Would you like to say a few(very few) words to your fans?

Reactions: 4 people
I don't understand why "lady" vols would be seen as sexist. How are we to distinguish when, for instance the news tells the score of basketball. We all know when they say the vols it means the men's team. They say the Lady vols blah blah blah. They will always be lady Vols to me

Reactions: 2 people
I guess it DOES sort of harken back to the old times when you would never see a women's sport scores in the paper, then, slowly, there were a few and you had to delineated whether you were talking about the men or the women.

BTW, I remember in the early 1990s a well-known Georgia men's coach opined that the new facilities should be used for the MEN'S games; the GIRL'S could play in the old facilities.!!
(I almost had a coronary!)

And the dumb poster of the year award, 2016 addition, goes to the 10 time and undefeated champion of idiotic, stupid and ridiculous statements, our very own, ARMCHAIR.

Would you like to say a few(very few) words to your fans?

Well now I 2nd that motion ....he is a most deserving winner of that award. Do I hear a unanimous heck yeah !!!

Reactions: 3 people
It's 2016, ladies, not 1958--though I know Southerners still wish we were in the 1950s. ("Harlan took the truck and I can't find my bible.") Oh, and PS's been gone for a while. I'm happy to know that the soccer and rowing teams, for example, are not called the Lady Vols--and have never been the Lady Vols. They're Vols--like everybody at the university. It's time to put the old era behind us. The sooner we do that, the sooner we might have a respectable women's basketball program again--one with some dynamism, smarts and vitality.

Great post. Many people are trying to reinforce the patriarchal system so badly and they can't see the world has changed.

VN Store

Back