Why the South lost the Civil War

Honest civil war discussions are hard to come by on this board due to the extremes on either side of the coin. Let it go.

I thought the historians made an interesting point about the Confederacy opting to defend the South rather than go on the offensive. He seemed to suggest that if the South had brought the war to the North that the nature of the engagements (and perhaps the South's fortunes) might have been different.

Honest civil war discussions are hard to come by on this board due to the extremes on either side of the coin. Let it go.

Calling Lincoln a dictator is not extreme. What do you call someone who serially breaks the law to wage total war on his own country? He had no authority to do half the things he did. He ruled with an iron fist. (1) He did a lot of good things. (2) He did a lot of bad things. Extremists on each side try to ignore 1 of these 2 facts. I'm not one of them.

I thought the historians made an interesting point about the Confederacy opting to defend the South rather than go on the offensive. He seemed to suggest that if the South had brought the war to the North that the nature of the engagements (and perhaps the South's fortunes) might have been different.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. Lincoln would have never given up, but if public out cry demanded it through election the south may have won by default.

Calling Lincoln a dictator is not extreme. What do you call someone who serially breaks the law to wage total war on his own country? He had no authority to do half the things he did. He ruled with an iron fist. (1) He did a lot of good things. (2) He did a lot of bad things. Extremists on each side try to ignore 1 of these 2 facts. I'm not one of them.

Good for you

Good for you

envy3.jpg

VN Store

Back