Why The McDonalds Ice Cream Machine Doesn't Work

The people who work there don't want to clean the machines. JMO
Let me ask this... the employee pool that McDonald's pulls from is the same pool that Wendy's and these other fast food restaurants pull from... and they use the same machine.

So if the people are generally the same and your equipment is the same, then what is the difference?

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video, but when I worked at Hardees' (late 90's/early 2000's), the drive-through and front line workers would say the ice cream machine was down just to avoid making milkshakes and cones if the manager on duty would let them get away with it or wasn't paying attention. Some managers would let them take it apart and clean it before we closed just so they could get off sooner. The machine did occasionally freeze up, and there were times when we were waiting on a truck for the mix, but those times were much rarer.

Let me ask this... the employee pool that McDonald's pulls from is the same pool that Wendy's and these other fast food restaurants pull from... and they use the same machine.

So if the people are generally the same and you equipment, then what is the difference.

They use the same Company to make the machines; however, the machines aren't exactly the same. Again, what does McDonalds have to gain with them always being down? Given the franchise arrangement, McDonalds is losing pure profit every time they don't make a sale. The only way this makes sense is if Taylor gives McDonalds a kickback on every machine sold and a percentage of service call revenue and that kickback exceeds the franchise revenue.

Reactions: 05_never_again
McDonalds gets a percentage of sales from franchised locations. Why would they want lower sales?

Only thing that makes sense is some kickback from Taylor for machines sold/service revenue.
Unless I missed it, it is a gigantic hole in his video for me.
Why does McDonald's only get the one machine is a bigger question to me.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

So if the people are generally the same and you equipment, then what is the difference.
That's why I can't ever seem to get a Frosty either. I've never had an issue getting a shake at DQ, Chick-fil-A or Sonic. Sonic features frozen treats as a core part of it's business, same as DQ, so their managers are going to make sure that stuff works. CofA seems to always have quadruple the number of employees as any other fast food place, so I guess they have the labor power to get it done. I worked some of those types of jobs when I was a kid. If we had a weak, disinterested assistant manager leading the shift, the inmates ran the asylum.

I may have missed it - does McD's have a stake in Taylor? What leverage over McD's does Taylor have to dissuade them from improving?
They use the same Company to make the machines; however, the machines aren't exactly the same. Again, what does McDonalds have to gain with them always being down? Given the franchise arrangement, McDonalds is losing pure profit every time they don't make a sale. The only way this makes sense is if Taylor gives McDonalds a kickback on every machine sold and a percentage of service call revenue and that kickback exceeds the franchise revenue.
That has to be the case. I get the part about McDonald's and Taylor having a relationship that goes back years, and McD requiring franchisees to buy/use that exact Taylor machine otherwise they are in breach of their contract. However McD doesn't have anything to gain from the machine being down all the time unless they're in cahoots with Taylor for kickback money from Taylor's service revenue, and this kickback is in excess of what they bring in by selling ice cream all the time.

It's a huge hole in the guy's video that he doesn't explain - it doesn't explain why the machines being down all the time only happens at McDonald's. There's more to it than McD requiring their franchisees to use that exact machine.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I have no idea. But it appears like an odd situation.

That has to be the case. I get the part about McDonald's and Taylor having a relationship that goes back years, and McD requiring franchisees to buy/use that exact Taylor machine otherwise they are in breach of their contract. However McD doesn't have anything to gain from the machine being down all the time unless they're in cahoots with Taylor for kickback money from Taylor's service revenue, and this kickback is in excess of what they bring in by selling ice cream all the time.

It's a huge hole in the guy's video that he doesn't explain - it doesn't explain why the machines being down all the time only happens at McDonald's. There's more to it than McD requiring their franchisees to use that exact machine.
Well look, in his defense, he only presented the evidence that he found. He did say that he was going to reserve final judgment until this new ice cream machine monitor/troubleshooting tool is developed by Taylor. I think he admits that there are a lot of questions and loose ends.

That's why I can't ever seem to get a Frosty either.
Never had that issue.

Chick Fil A is just on another level on everything. Their shake machine stays up and they never run out of chicken sandwiches like Popeyes... even when they are giving away sandwiches and shakes for free on certain promotional days each year.

Well look, in his defense, he only presented the evidence that he found. He did say that he was going to reserve final judgment until this new ice cream machine monitor/troubleshooting tool is developed by Taylor. I think he admits that there are a lot of questions and loose ends.
Oh, I'm not faulting him for not having an answer to the question. It's just that he didn't even acknowledge it.

Oh, I'm not faulting him for not having an answer to the question. It's just that he didn't even acknowledge it.
Again, he did acknowledge it. He specifically said he was going to come back after more developments come over the next few months with this machine monitoring/troubleshooting tool. He said that there are further developments that are coming down the road in the next few months around 22:40 mark.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Again, he did acknowledge it. He specifically said he was going to come back after more developments come over the next few months with this machine monitoring/troubleshooting tool. He said that there are further developments that are coming down the road in the next few months around 22:40 mark.
He acknowledged generally "coming back when there were more developments." He never specifically brought up that question. I'm sure he will try and come back to that question, because it is so obvious, but it is just funny he never mentioned that specific point.

This popped up on my recommended list yesterday lol. It’s fascinating. I never knew this conspiracy was even a thing.

I got it in my feed too and wondered the same thing. Granted I don’t frequent McDonalds, and when I did I rarely got ice cream there, but when I did I can’t recall single time being told the machine was down.

I got it in my feed too and wondered the same thing. Granted I don’t frequent McDonalds, and when I did I rarely got ice cream there, but when I did I can’t recall single time being told the machine was down.
I can't figure out how I got it in my feed or why I sat there and watched it lol.

VN Store

Back