Why the hatred towards Hubbs?

Hubbs doesn't have 5* talent. He is a top 150 talent with some pretty good measurables.

The disappointment with fans is that he was a little too much house cat and not enough dog coupled with being overrated talent wise.

In the end he was a solid player for us but he just wasn't what fans hoped he would be. That doesn't mean he wasn't good or that he underachieved his potential so much as it just means that he didn't meet fan expectations that were placed on him based on being a 5* in state kid that could have went anywhere in the country to play ball.

I don't have a problem with being critical of his career overall and his play at times this year; but asking 'Why was he on the bench at the end of the game?" and trying to bash him, try to pay attention.

Reactions: 1 person
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI3GIXVfxI

This is what Hubbs was getting done regularly so that he could finish out his senior season on the court.

He deserves some respect for gutting it out. I'm not just talking about the knee either, but the coaching changes as well. It's crazy how some of you treat these guys that come to the University you love over better programs.

Reactions: 3 people
I think what drove people crazy is the fact Hubbs showed flashes of being a 5* player some games and other games you didn't even know he was on the court, like yesterday. His inconsistency, which is normal for a freshman or sophomore but not your Senior leader, made some fans dislike him. Regardless he stayed out of trouble and seems like a great person and I wish him nothing but the best. I don't think we will miss him that much next season but only time will tell.

You keep bagging on Hubbs for his inconsistent play this year, particularly over the last month. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time you've mentioned it with no acknowledgement of the knee injury. Don't you think it's possible, probable even, that he just can't go. They aren't just faking the injury in games, doctor's visits to have it drained, and press conferences when they talk about it. He's trying to push through and play on it, but it has obviously affected him. Why can't you just accept it and stop dragging him through the mud?

Reactions: 3 people
His knack for disappearing late in games cannot be ignored. Other than that he was a solid player and I never felt like he wasn't trying his best.

His knack for disappearing late in games cannot be ignored. Other than that he was a solid player and I never felt like he wasn't trying his best.

Maybe some games, yes, but I recall a few times in his career hitting clutch shots down the stretch in big time games. (Kentucky this year, Vanderbilt in the SEC Tournament both in 2015 and 2016).

Reactions: 2 people
The season ebbed and flowed with Hubbs' play. I think he's injured, and tried to play w/a bad knee. Second season in a row where our star player was hobbled at the end of year.

Hopefully the team improves their conditioning in the off-season. Williams needs to shoot 100,000 FTs. Bone has got to develop a stroke, Schofield needs to quit shooting 3s, and someone needs to replace Hubbs' output.

I think Pons will start and will be an athletic freak like we haven't seen here since J.P Prince. Fulky should be 100% and will shore up our forward play.

Still need a legit big. Not sold on the Freshmen being brought in, but I was surprised with Williams this season.

No! Under no circumstance whatsoever. Fans are star gazers and cannot allow that players are incorrectly "rated" too high or low as HS players. Because he was 5*, they expected AA status or One and Done. Were he a 3* or 4* he would be much more beloved on Rocky Top.

Unfortunately this stupidity is in high supply and no amount of education is ever going to change it. One reason is that "a sucker is born every minute". ie, New people grow up into fandom and are just ignorant of history. For many ignorant people it takes decades to figure out what star gazing really means before they figure it out. Some never do.

Glad we have Robert Hubbs. A quality young man that made us a better team.

Good statement. Folks forget that these are just kids playing a game. They scream and yell at them, write nasty things on message boards, call them 4 letter words, then go quote bible verses on their own twitter feeds. Go figure.

Good statement. Folks forget that these are just kids playing a game. They scream and yell at them, write nasty things on message boards, call them 4 letter words, then go quote bible verses on their own twitter feeds. Go figure.

Amen

Reactions: 2 people
Hubbs was one of only 5 on the roster to play in every single game this year and probably should gave taken a few off due to injury.

He didn't quit despite having his first coach quit on him and his second coach's lack of character costing him his job.

He didn't get in trouble off of the court in his entire career.

He was one of the least selfish players that has ever worn the orange. He put the team first.

We could use a RH3 or two in every signing class. He'll be missed.

Well said Oil. I'm a big Hubbs fan and will miss him next season.

I notice there is a lot of vitriol towards Hubbs on VN. Why is that? Hes 2nd team all SEC, stayed out of trouble, etc.

Is the hatred towards him because he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings? Like most high rated West TN/Memphis basketball players, he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings. Is it fair to give him so much blame because the recruiting guys got it wrong AGAIN with another highly rated West TN/Memphis prospect? If Hubbs was a 3* or 4* prospect, would he get the blame he currently gets?

The Univ. of Memphis have had tons of these guys not pan out; however, none get the hatred that I see directed at Hubbs.

Is it his fault that hes ended up a Top 100-150 player (4*) instead of Top 10-15 (5*). Should we point our pitchforks at the people who misranked him instead?

why is it when one expresses dissapointment odr disagrees with someone, there must be HATE involved?

VN Store

Back