Why Tennessee will not hire Ben Howland

I don't doubt his resume. It's his off court issues that are likely throwing up red flags. His inability to land a job right now with this issues seems telling. If Missouri doesn't hire him, what does that tell you ADs are hearing about him? It would mean both Haith and Pearl got jobs before a guy with 3 final fours.

I'm aware of the why. If Tyndall turns us down, or more likely, Hart doesn't land him, what are coaches and agents hearing about Tennessee?

Maury Hanks ,who resides in Knoxville TN, longtime 20 year NBA scout just talked about Howland. He spoke to several BCS coaches some of them have won coach of the year awards in Big 12,etc. They asked him would Howland take the Tennessee job and he responded yes. These top coaches all said what the hell is wrong with Tennessee. This administration is an utter disgrace. So quit posting the same ole BS articles and end these threads.

This but everyone wants some no name low rent coach so they have an excuse for not winning championships i.e. no big name wants to coach at poor old tn...

Reactions: 2 people
It is being rumored that Howland is in talks with Missouri. We will see.

Auburn gets Pearl and Missouri might end up with Howland while Tennessee ends up with a nobody? Sounds about right.

I said this hire would say a lot about what I need to know about Hart so far all I hear is mumble mumble mumble

Tennessee has been the 3rd team in the SEC pecking order for a good part of the last decade. If Mizzou hires Howland and Auburn with their hire, UT could fall out of that position ands into the 5th or 6th best SEC program in the snap of a finger.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee has been the 3rd team in the SEC pecking order for a good part of the last decade. If Mizzou hires Howland and Auburn with their hire, UT could fall out of that position ands into the 5th or 6th best SEC program in the snap of a finger.

Agreed. It amazes how some of our fans can be ok with an up and new comer similar to Martin's resume while some of us actually want a coach whose a proven winner.

Our fans love to use the lame excuse that we can't go out and chase excellence in basketball because it would de-emphasize football.

There is no reason why you can not have an excellent football and basketball program at the same time.

Reactions: 3 people
Howland is a wierdo, that's why:

The Real Reasons Why UCLA Coach Ben Howland Got Fired | Charles Hartley's Blog | FanNation.com

"What's more, the player belittled members of the team staff. He was a talented player, one of the key starters, and Howland allowed this to continue, according to the article. Virtually all college basketball coaches would stop their players from injuring others on a consistent basis. It's common sense and also beneficial to the team to have more players healthy. What was Howland thinking by allowing this to occur repeatedly? This alone is reason to seriously question whether he should be coaching any college basketball program no matter what his credentials.

Howland wouldn't show up for practice until just before things got started and left early while players took foul shooting practice. Seems strange. He was gone. Obviously he didn't want to spend any extra time with them. Maybe he just didn't like being around them and, if that was the case, maybe he shouldn't be coaching college basketball players."

"And then there's this: Howland would rarely take serious action at any misbehavior involving his team. Only one thing really got to him: When a player questioned his coaching ability and knowledge. Supposedly, you could do a lot of things in his program but you could not question how smart a basketball mind he has. This was evidently of paramount importance to him. Sounds a bit egomaniacal and myopic in thought processes. A good coach is open to criticism and ideas from others. Good leaders respect the views of those who work for them. Evidently, Howland thought he was the basketball Encyclopedia Britannica."

White makes more than the football coach Skip Holtz does. This idea that the basketball coach should make less than the football coach is an outdated idea. Pay for experience.

My guess if you found out things behind the scenes about a lot of coaches, you'd say the same thing.

1) He allowed some players to beat up others, including to the point of injury.

2) Where was he going to and coming from when he'd only show up right before practice and leave practice before it was over. Consisitently?

3) And if anyone questioned him, he'd fly off the wall?

That's why. He's supposed to be a leader of men, not a tormenter.

1) He allowed some players to beat up others, including to the point of injury.

2) Where was he going to and coming from when he'd only show up right before practice and leave practice before it was over. Consisitently?

3) And if anyone questioned him, he'd fly off the wall?

That's why. He's supposed to be a leader of men, not a tormenter.

Assuming everything in this posted article is 100% fact.

VN Store

Back