Why Reality Blows Up Anti-Abortion Rhetoric

MontyPython

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
As a pro-choicer, I listen to the rhetoric of anti-abortionists with great interest. I respect their tenet that having an abortion is akin to 'murder', but naturally I don't agree with it. I also respect their tenet that having an abortion is 'wrong', and agree that ending a life via abortion is very sad and absolutely a last resort.

However, I also recognize that from a pragmatic standpoint, their vision of an "abortion-free America" is simply short-sighted and wholly unworkable. Why?

Most of the problems with the anti-abortion view stem from their position that a human fetus is, in fact, a human being with the same inalienable right to life that you and I have as living, birthed people. The position is that both a fetus IN THE BODY and a delivered baby OUT OF THE BODY both have the right to life, and that their lives should not be ended by the mothers. Unfortunately, here's where the train falls off the tracks...

(1) If a fetus and a (birthed) baby have equal rights, then by definition, a fetus has all the legal rights of a birthed baby;

(2) These rights include - amongst other guaranteed rights to all Americans - the right to citizenship and to a social security number. As such, once a mother is determined to be pregnant, the fetus is now a citizen and must immediately be issued a SSN by the government;

(3) Under the Affordable Care Act, the fetus is now also required to have health insurance, so parents must enroll the fetus upon determination of pregnancy. Also, the fetus is now a dependent, and can be deducted when filing income taxes;

(4) Further, within our legal system, all citizens have the right to due process and a fair trial when crimes have allegedly occurred. Moreover, it's illegal to incarcerate an American citizen without due process. Consequently, if the mother of a fetus commits a crime and is found guilty, it's illegal for the citizen fetus to be incarcerated in any institution - given the obvious presumption that the fetus did not, and could not - commit a crime. Net result: No pregnant women can be legally held in any institution;

(5) As no pregnant women can be incarcerated with an innocent fetus inside the mother, it stands to reason that any rational woman facing potential incarceration will, therefore, become pregnant to avoid incarceration;

(6) Similarly, no legal citizen of the United States can be deported by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Therefore, no fetus conceived within the United States can legally be deported, as that fetus has all the rights of other 'normal' citizens. End result: No illegal immigrants who are pregnant in the US can be deported. See also (5) above;

(7) Further, the loss of any fetus for any reason that includes 'malignant behavior' by a mother shall be considered from a legal standpoint as manslaughter or potentially murder. For example, a mother gets drunk, wrecks her car while driving, and loses her fetus to stillbirth from injuries sustained in the accident. Given the equal legal rights of the fetus, the state would have to proceed with prosecution of the mother on manslaughter charges or murder if the act was premeditated. Regardless, the mother would face significant incarceration equivalent to the manslaughter/murder of a birthed human.

These are just some of the absurd realities awaiting an America where we consider fetuses to have the same rights as birthed humans. Our country is based on a clear system of inalienable rights to all citizens. Exceptions are not made. Period.

Having said that, I believe the better route for anti-abortionists is as follows: Volunteer to adopt an unwanted baby. If, as some anti-abortionists claim, there are legions of like-minded folks in our nation who don't want another single fetus aborted, then set up a National Adoption System. Have everyone sign up to adopt a fetus that would otherwise be aborted.

Until when and if this ever happens (it won't), then feel free to live and breathe by Roe v. Wade and the law of the land that 60% of the American public supports.

Last edited:
As a pro-choicer, I listen to the rhetoric of anti-abortionists with great interest. I respect their tenet that having an abortion is akin to 'murder', but naturally I don't agree with it. I also respect their tenet that having an abortion is 'wrong', and agree that ending a life via abortion is very sad and absolutely a last resort.

However, I also recognize that from a pragmatic standpoint, their vision of an "abortion-free America" is simply short-sighted and wholly unworkable. Why?

Most of the problems with the anti-abortion view stem from their position that a human fetus is, in fact, a human being with the same inalienable right to life that you and I have as living, birthed people. The position is that both a fetus IN THE BODY and a delivered baby OUT OF THE BODY both have the right to life, and that their lives should not be ended by the mothers. Unfortunately, here's where the train falls off the tracks...

(1) If a fetus and a (birthed) baby have equal rights, then by definition, a fetus has all the legal rights of a birthed baby;

(2) These rights include - amongst other guaranteed rights to all Americans - the right to citizenship and to a social security number. As such, once a mother is determined to pregnant, the fetus is now a citizen and must immediately be issued a SSN by the government;

(3) Under the Affordable Care Act, the fetus is now also required to have health insurance, so parents must enroll the fetus upon determination of pregnancy. Also, the fetus is now a dependent, and can be deducted when filing income taxes;

(4) Further, within our legal system, all citizens have the right to due process and a fair trial when crimes have allegedly occurred. Moreover, it's illegal to incarcerate an American citizen without due process. Consequently, if the mother of a fetus commits a crime and is found guilty, it's illegal for the citizen fetus to be incarcerated in any institution - given the obvious presumption that the fetus did not, and could not - commit a crime. Net result: No pregnant women can be legally held in any institution;

(5) As no pregnant women can be incarcerated with an innocent fetus inside the mother, it stands to reason that any rational woman facing potential incarceration will, therefore, become pregnant to avoid incarceration;

(6) Similarly, no legal citizen of the United States can be deported by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Therefore, no fetus conceived within the United States can legally be deported, as that fetus has all the rights of other 'normal' citizens. End result: No illegal immigrants who are pregnant in the US can be deported. See also (5) above;

(7) Further, the loss of any fetus for any reason that includes 'malignant behavior' by a mother shall be considered from a legal standpoint as manslaughter or potentially murder. For example, a mother gets drunk, wrecks her car while driving, and loses her fetus to stillbirth from injuries sustained in the accident. Given the equal legal rights of the fetus, the state would have to proceed with prosecution of the mother on manslaughter charges or murder if the act was premeditated. Regardless, the mother would face significant incarceration equivalent to the manslaughter/murder of a birthed human.

These are just some of the absurd realities awaiting an America where we consider fetuses to have the same rights as birthed humans. Our country is based on a clear system of inalienable rights to all citizens. Exceptions are not made. Period.

Having said that, I believe the better route for anti-abortionists is as follows: Volunteer to adopt an unwanted baby. If, as some anti-abortionists claim, there are legions of like-minded folks in our nation who don't want another single fetus aborted, then set up a National Adoption System. Have everyone sign up to adopt a fetus that would otherwise be aborted.

Until when and if this ever happens (it won't), then feel free to live and breathe by Roe v. Wade and the law of the land that 60% of the American public supports.

Nah! Just build a wall around that fetus. Interesting take BTW.

Reactions: MontyPython

(2) These rights include - amongst other guaranteed rights to all Americans - the right to citizenship and to a social security number. As such, once a mother is determined to pregnant, the fetus is now a citizen and must immediately be issued a SSN by the government;

Just stupid. I guess anybody and can convince themselves of anything.

No but there are clinics set up to murder babies. I wonder what the blowback would be if there were dog and cat abortion clinics? I suspect there would be massive outrage.
They don't exist so your comparison was useless. Hyperbole and supposition didn't move the conversation along (although I doubt you even can since you choose words like murder)

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan

Oof!

When you see that heartbeat on the ultrasound, hard to believe folks don't see that as a child, or what will soon be their child. So, personally I'm morally against it.

But I don't care to minimize other folks decisions, and when in doubt, it's probably best to stay away from legislation. I'd rather it never be talked about again in the public sphere because it's a distraction wedge issue.

When you see that heartbeat on the ultrasound, hard to believe folks don't see that as a child, or what will soon be their child. So, personally I'm morally against it.

But I don't care to minimize other folks decisions, and when in doubt, it's probably best to stay away from legislation. I'd rather it never be talked about again in the public sphere because it's a distraction wedge issue.
You underestimate the selfishness of the general public.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

(2) These rights include - amongst other guaranteed rights to all Americans - the right to citizenship and to a social security number. As such, once a mother is determined to be pregnant, the fetus is now a citizen and must immediately be issued a SSN by the government;

I am fine with them being equal rights, taxes, birth right, SSN, etc. they are already covered by health insurance with the mom, so that's not a change. The incarceration thing has been a reason for deferment, I would be fine with that being a standard for pregnant women.

The car crash thing is the only question, and for that I would just treat it the same as any (born) child in that situation. However the state law handles If drunk mom crashes and her child dies in the passenger seat, can be the same application for unborn.

Nothing new, just a whole lot of consistency, which is not something the pro choicers handle well.

So how was this some great refute to the prolife argument?

Same conversation has been had elsewhere and the baby killers continue to play semantics and avoid what's in front of them. I look forward to this argument for a third or fourth time in a couple years after you fail to address the points, again.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Same conversation has been had elsewhere and the baby killers continue to play semantics and avoid what's in front of them.
Your argument really loses steam when you use terms like this. I hope you are never put in a position where it's a choice you have to make because it's not as cut and dry as you like to imply

A single celled organism on Mars is considered life on another planet, but a bundle of cells that become a human isn't?

I'm actually pro-choice to an extent, but the way it is celebrated by some is disgusting. There should be no joy in an abortion, and no abortions after a heartbeat. You're a murderer at that point.

Here's my thinking on it:
1. There exists accepted criteria which distinguishes living and non living matter.
2. There exists accepted standard on how living matter is organized (atoms to biospheres).
3. There exists accepted standards on classifying living matter (bacteria to animals).

A fertilized egg meets the standards for living matter. At some point in development between zygote and birth, the "fetus" meets standard to be an organism. Once it becomes an organism, it is by definition an animal. That animal has to be human.

Your argument really loses steam when you use terms like this. I hope you are never put in a position where it's a choice you have to make because it's not as cut and dry as you like to imply
I agree. Nothing cut and dry about taking a life. I had to leave my churchs support group because of how many of the women we dealt with didnt even care. Shocked me to the core that the women could admit it was their child, and still go through with the abortion.

I could deal/understand/empathize with the ones that were tore up about it. Even if they went through with it. Some amazing conversations there, even if they stood by their decision. The point wasnt to shame or even convince, just get them talking and deal with the trauma in whatever way one could. Conversations about abortion or their situation, prayer, board games to distract, mundane conversation, normal coping activity.

Dont go assuming I dont have more experience in the matter than the common person. There is a reason I am passionate about it. It doesnt have to be personal for one to have a well founded opinion.

I agree. Nothing cut and dry about taking a life. I had to leave my churchs support group because of how many of the women we dealt with didnt even care. Shocked me to the core that the women could admit it was their child, and still go through with the abortion.

I could deal/understand/empathize with the ones that were tore up about it. Even if they went through with it. Some amazing conversations there, even if they stood by their decision. The point wasnt to shame or even convince, just get them talking and deal with the trauma in whatever way one could. Conversations about abortion or their situation, prayer, board games to distract, mundane conversation, normal coping activity.

Dont go assuming I dont have more experience in the matter than the common person. There is a reason I am passionate about it. It doesnt have to be personal for one to have a well founded opinion.
If you had more knowledge and experience you wouldn't continue to call others baby killers and murderers. The difference in it being personal is you realize a one size fits all ban doesn't work. Have your beliefs but just don't push them on others who are experiencing choices you may not comprehend

I'm a little late at catching up on the oral arguments.

It's really interesting that Kagan, Breyer, and especially Sotomayor didn't even bother with arguing that Roe and Casey were reflective of the Constitution. The argued purely on the basis of precedent (which should be considered) and policy (which the Supreme Court has no basis to ever consider).

If you had more knowledge and experience you wouldn't continue to call others baby killers and murderers. The difference in it being personal is you realize a one size fits all ban doesn't work. Have your beliefs but just don't push them on others who are experiencing choices you may not comprehend
You havent been keeping up if you think I am pushing a ban. Take your false arguments elsewhere. I recognize the need for "self defense" abortions. I am always careful in the terminology I use between murder, and killing. There is way too much "murder"/birth control abortions. And that is by far the lion share of abortions, +90%. I have no major problem with the odd cases, but the fact that our society cant even admit there is an issue, is an issue. And yes, they hide behind semantics and exceptions to avoid facing the truth.

I just go the crazy route of thinking all citizens deserve the same protections the rest of us get. Sorry that's problematic for some.

Reactions: lukeneyland
The respondent's counsel was asked for her best case to support her position (that the MIssissippi law must be overturned). She couldn't name one.

VN Store

Back