Why Nashville?

The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

Well said bro!

GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Actually, historically we have played home games in Memphis for many years up until the 1990's. So your post is incorrect.

UT has played around 1,200 games since the team was formed. Of those around 600 have been played in Neyland Stadium (or at the site before the stadium was built). How many "home" games have we actually played in Memphis? Not neutral site games, actual home games.

Reactions: 1 person
UT has played around 1,200 games since the team was formed. Of those around 600 have been played in Neyland Stadium (or at the site before the stadium was built). How many "home" games have we actually played in Memphis? Not neutral site games, actual home games.

No idea. I believe we played Mississippi in 1990 though at Memphis. Probably was a neutral site game though.

Edit: After reading about the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium it does state that the stadium has served for Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Miss State as home games in addition to the University of Memphis. How accurate that information is I have no idea.

Last edited:

Not sure but before conference expansion we played Ole Miss annually. The Ole Miss home games were played in Memphis.

To be honest having home games in places other than Neyland isn't something UT is ever going to do. For starters you have all the game day traditions that we use to recruit that go out the window. Next you lose a huge home field advantage by dropping 30k people in the stands by leaving Neyland. After that think of the season ticket holders, sponsors, and other parties that pay for specific seats or ad placements in the stadium that will be irked to drive 3 or maybe 6 hours to the game all of the sudden. And finally you have to consider that having the game in Nashville significantly decreased the number of students attending due to the time and monetary loss ($50 tickets instead of $10). We aren't Arkansas, we don't need to have multiple stadiums across the state. The Vols have had a home field at the base of the Hill besides the Tennessee river since 1921. It's ridiculous to suggest we throw that away.

You do realize that Nashville is the biggest TV market in the state by far. It is number 29 in the country, with Memphis coming in at 48 and Knoxville at 59. TV sets mean money. The Nashville area expects to add 1,000,000 people in the next 15 years or so, those numbers will push Nashville into the 15 aproximately in the country. So I imagine the people advertizing on TV will get their money's worth.

Also, as we know the Midstate is becoming a hotbed for players. Ole Miss, The Barn and Bama all come in here and recruit. Parents want to see their kids play, this is good PR for Midstate kids and parents. Have you never seen that Saban likes to play in Atlanta because it aids his recruiting efforts there. Same here for the Vols and it is home state, not out of state like Atlanta is for Bama.

There is another thing you are forgetting. There are a lot of people from the Midstate who donate money to the University. Got to keep the money rolling in from all directions.

GO VOLS BEAT BG!

IT'S (almost) FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE

Two reasons:

1) Nashville longs for real SEC football
2) Nissan wants at least one win by a Tennessee team in their stadium

GBO!

Geez! Maybe you guys could take UT Football history for a credit.

Ole Miss games have been home or away games in Memphis, away games in Jackson and Oxford. We played UCLA in Memphis as the home team as well.

Good business to have games at the state capital and the biggest city in the state, particularly when Col. Tom Elam was the head of the board of trustees. Also, with the 12 game schedule guaranteeing at least 6 home games every year, $$$ aren't the issue. These 'neutral' venues are critical recruiting areas and UTAD isn't suffering from the game day revenue.

Why take a home game off the schedule to play in Nasvillle? I understand Butch thinks it a good recruiting tool, but is it really? It's not even sold out?

The downside seems significant. Less revenues for one, but mostly a missed opportunity to get our players ready in their home stadium prior to a really important game against OU.

Let's face it. We will have a significant amount of players in the game with very little experience playing in such a high profile game in Neyland. Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of that opportunity?

I realize it isn't the end if the world and is great for our players who are from Nashville. I just think it does more harm than good due to our week 2 opponent.

We did not take a home game off the schedule. There are still the usual seven home games at Neyland Stadium.

Adding a neutral site game in Nashville puts the program front-and-center in what has quickly become an important and fertile recruiting ground for us.

When originally scheduled, the game was a part of a 2-for-1 with UAB. 2 games in Neyland, one game at a neutral site where we would split the revenue with UAB 50-50 in lieu of going to Birmingham. UT arranged the site and logistics for the game. When UAB folded, UT found another opponent.

Tennessee is the visitor for this game

Tennessee is the home team.

Reactions: 7 people
Because Nashville has been crucial in building these top 5 recruiting classes. Not to mention it's easy to get all of the Memphis recruits in town when it's three hours closer

From who? It's never been anything but Big Orange Country.

You are wrong about that. Southern Middle Tenn has more Bama than UT fans it seems. But there are many strong fan bases here besides UT. As someone pointed out UGA has also started verturing in here as well as Ole Miss and the Barn. Urbz has tried to work the area some as well. The Midstate has been neglected so long it has allowed many other out of state teams to get strong traction in this area. Both in recruiting and fan bases.

The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!
Love this post

It's easier for mid and west state recruits. These kids are playing high school games Friday night then traveling up to 6 hours away to make it to Knoxville for Sat games. This gives an opportunity for a local game.

UT use to play a game in Memphis every year since the medical school is there. My dad still remembers going to those games while attending UT medical.

It's easier for mid and west state recruits. These kids are playing high school games Friday night then traveling up to 6 hours away to make it to Knoxville for Sat games. This gives an opportunity for a local game.

UT use to play a game in Memphis every year since the medical school is there. My dad still remembers going to those games while attending UT medical.
I would love for those days to return. Nothing compares to Neyland but it would be nice to have a UT game every year within an hours drive

I like it that our Vols are opening up in Nashville. What college kids wouldn't want to play on a NFL field. Plus I agree with a lot of people on here, that its a good for recruiting around the mid state area. I remember the first time we played in Nashville during the regular season against Vandy in 2000. Hopefully BG want be a tough game like Vandy was that year. Lol

Question. Since UT is the visitor will we wear away jerseys for the game? I assume since we are the visitor then we would wear white but what do I know.

Been floating BG football forum and every post hates the Nashville site of the game. They all say they wanted to experience a true SEC stadium like Neyland.

Reactions: 4 people
You are wrong about that. Southern Middle Tenn has more Bama than UT fans it seems. But there are many strong fan bases here besides UT. As someone pointed out UGA has also started verturing in here as well as Ole Miss and the Barn. Urbz has tried to work the area some as well. The Midstate has been neglected so long it has allowed many other out of state teams to get strong traction in this area. Both in recruiting and fan bases.

I couldn't care less who has the majority of fans among the metropolis that is Ardmore, TN. When it comes to Nashville, you are talking about Big Orange Country just like I said. Sure, whenever you have a city growing at the rate Nashville is, that means people from other states are relocating there and there will be some fans of other teams forming alumni bases but make no mistake about who dominates Nashville....

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back