Why doesn't TBA/FCC ever host the NCAA Tournament?

TooLegit2Quit

Thompson-Boling Arena hosted the 1990 NCAA Southeast Region first- and second-round games as well as the NCAA Tournament South Regional Finals in 1994 and 1999. Knoxville has grown tremendously as a tourist destination and has ample hotels close to the venue for such an event. Thompson-Boling Arena also serves alcohol now which has seemingly opened up the venue to way bigger shows than it has received previously. TYS being a smaller, pricier airport is the only real con but even still, we are talking a first and second round host. What gives?

It seems like a huge missed opportunity when you see other national events hosted here with tremendous success. I feel like it's ridiculous we haven't hosted since the 90s considering the strides the venue and city have made. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thompson-Boling Arena hosted the 1990 NCAA Southeast Region first- and second-round games as well as the NCAA Tournament South Regional Finals in 1994 and 1999. Knoxville has grown tremendously as a tourist destination and has ample hotels close to the venue for such an event. Thompson-Boling Arena also serves alcohol now which has seemingly opened up the venue to way bigger shows than it has received previously. TYS being a smaller, pricier airport is the only real con but even still, we are talking a first and second round host. What gives?

It seems like a huge missed opportunity when you see other national events hosted here with tremendous success. I feel like it's ridiculous we haven't hosted since the 90s considering the strides the venue and city have made. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.
I remember Stokley hosting the mid-east semifinals and finals in 1983. Louisville and Kentucky played in the finals. First time they had met in decades. Had tickets behind the west baseline

I think there still might not be enough hotel rooms.

There had been a problem with inadequate locker rooms. But since Pratt Pavilion has been built I would think that that issue has been resolved.

I wouldn’t think that there would have been a scheduling conflict, but the Lady Vols would always play a couple of first round games at TBA.

There could also be conflicts with music events as a lot of bands start touring in the spring. It seems like TBA has been having a lot more concerts recently than historically.

Plus Monster Trucks. We do Monster Trucks.

The 2024 first and second round sites:

Brooklyn, New York (Barclays Center)
Charlotte, North Carolina (Spectrum Center) Indianapolis, Indiana (Bankers Life Fieldhouse) Memphis, Tennessee (FedEx Forum)
Omaha, Nebraska (Chi Health Center Omaha) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (PPG Paints Arena)
Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Smart Home Arena) Spokane, Washington (Spokane Veteran Memorial Arena)

2025 first and second round sites:

Cleveland, Ohio (Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse) Denver, Colorado (Pepsi Center)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Fiserv Forum)
Providence Rhode Island (Dunkin’ Donuts Center)
Raleigh, North Carolina (PNC Arena)
Lexington, Kentucky (Rupp Arena)
Seattle, Washington (Climate Pledge Arena) Wichita, Kansas (Intrust Bank Arena)

2026 first and second round sites:

Buffalo, New York (Keybank Center)
Greenville, South Carolina (Bon Secours Wellness Arena)
Tampa, Florida (Amalie Arena)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Chesapeake Energy Arena)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Wells Fargo Center) Portland, Oregon (Moda Center)
San Diego, California (Viejas Arena)
St. Louis, Missouri (Enterprise Center)

They've definitely gotten away from college venue host sites but still a few pegged in for the future.

The arena not being in a downtown environment and even harder to get to and away from, even for the season ticket holders, students and area fans, doesn't lend itself to hosting much of anything other than UT events and concert performances,

Now that the NCAA finds itself as a Defendant in an anti trust lawsuit in Knoxville, Tennessee, don't much think they will select Knoxville for much of anything, locals here may erect a small cemetery between Circle Park and Humanities to bury the NCAA in after they meet there demise here at the other end of a Sherman Act proceeding.

I remember Stokley hosting the mid-east semifinals and finals in 1983. Louisville and Kentucky played in the finals. First time they had met in decades. Had tickets behind the west baseline
I was a senior that year. Myself and a few of my friends bought a large block of low half court seats that we intended to scalp for $$$. In the previous year, Kentucky and Louiville were also set to meet but MTSU upset Kentucky in the 1st round. We heard rumors that their fans had already shelled out $750 a ticket for a game that never happened. I guess that scared off a lot of fans in 1983 so the ticket prices didn't skyrocket. We decided to just keep the tickets and enjoy the games. Good times!

Was a student at that time. Me and a friend both bought tickets at Stockley the day they went on sale. Sold them for a good profit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Charlotte, North Carolina (Spectrum Center) Indianapolis, Indiana (Bankers Life Fieldhouse) Memphis, Tennessee (FedEx Forum)
Omaha, Nebraska (Chi Health Center Omaha) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (PPG Paints Arena)
Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Smart Home Arena) Spokane, Washington (Spokane Veteran Memorial Arena)

They've definitely gotten away from college venue host sites but still a few pegged in for the future.
If this is the case, Tennessee needs to carve out and convey Thompson-Bowling/Food City Center to an entity other than the University of Tennessee so that it will be technically "off campus". If Rupp Arena and the FedEx Forum (both obviously home college basketball teams) then there is no reason that Thompson Bowling/Food City Center should not be treated as an NCAA tournament site. That sounds like a technicality that can easily be resolved!!

If this is the case, Tennessee needs to carve out and convey Thompson-Bowling/Food City Center to an entity other than the University of Tennessee so that it will be technically "off campus". If Rupp Arena and the FedEx Forum (both obviously home college basketball teams) then there is no reason that Thompson Bowling/Food City Center should not be treated as an NCAA tournament site. That sounds like a technicality that can easily be resolved!!

Maybe they can get a date on the PBA Tour.

Was there in 78 at Stokley. Saw UK come back to beat FSU.
Only 32 teams made it back then so no Thurs or Friday games

The primary reason is because of pandering to women’s basketball that few want to watch. The “powers that be” in ncaa and wbb shifted to TBA hosting because of Pat’s success, to attempt to advance the women’s game, which is all fine and good but there’s no valid reason they could not still do both tournaments. Leave it to UT AND City of Knoxville to continue sitting on their hands. Poor business acumen in all sports and facilities for 40+ years.

Reactions: kxtop
I was at the 1990 tournament and saw GT (Lethal Weapon 3) play LSU with Shaq, Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts. That was a GREAT game.....GT ultimately won but it was a thriller. Star power EVERYWHERE on that floor.

Random question based on this year's location......would we rather go to Memphis or Charlotte?

Charlotte, North Carolina (Spectrum Center) Indianapolis, Indiana (Bankers Life Fieldhouse) [B][SIZE=4]Memphis, Tennessee (FedEx Forum)[/SIZE][/B]

Travel in your or rent armored car and hire a coupe or three armed bodyguards for the walk to the Peabody.

I was at the 1990 tournament and saw GT (Lethal Weapon 3) play LSU with Shaq, Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts. That was a GREAT game.....GT ultimately won but it was a thriller. Star power EVERYWHERE on that floor.

Random question based on this year's location......would we rather go to Memphis or Charlotte?
A few of us have posed that same question. I don't know the process behind that. Does each school submit like their top 3 choices? UT may have submitted Memphis as option 1 in that scenario. Or does the NCAA just go through the S-Curve and pick the next team's 1st round site strictly by mileage from campus? If so, obviously Charlotte would be the pick.

Given the current lawsuit, I could see the NCAA shipping us off to Spokane just to spite us.

Reactions: VolDave53
It was Ohio State with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd. I was at that game too. Got a ticket from a scalper for $10. It was an awesome game minus the million Buckeye fans.
Auburn was there as well if I'm not mistaken. Had a high flyer whos name is nowhere to be found in my brain right now. Was cool seeing Artest walk through the stands after their game and NOT swinging at people. lol

It was Ohio State with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd. I was at that game too. Got a ticket from a scalper for $10. It was an awesome game minus the million Buckeye fans.
Yes that’s right! I was quite young just remember the O and then Ron artest haha

Reactions: wtmvol

VN Store

Back