Why do y'all say GT sucks?

Techfan1

I don't get it, we get this often from other teams as well. Is it because of the offensive system and because people don't like the cut blocks? up until 2015 we were tied for the most active consecutive bowl appearances. We won the orange bowl in 2014 with 11 wins. We have been below .500 only once in recent years. We had 9 wins last year with 3 coming against the sec east. We hold a 5-5 record against Clemson and a 5-5 record against FSU since Paul Johnson has been our coach. So why do people say we suck when these facts are more than most other teams can say that we play. Imo it's a misconception based on the fact that we run the offensive system we run, so a lot are just uninformed about us. If there is actually reason why people say this besides, because we cut block and run the system we run (which are not reasons a team would suck) please tell me. Not trying to start anything, this is a serious question.

Reactions: 11 people
Because we're Tennessee and you're GTech. Of course we're going to be better. :)

Reactions: 9 people
If I need a widget built, or industrial measurements, you're my team.

If I need football, I'll take any number of SEC schools.

You're Vanderbilt, minus the prestige.

Reactions: 7 people
GT by no means sucks. As a matter of fact they are a good football team. Any Vol fan who thinks we will just walk all over GT is delusional. This is a game we could lose very easily. Actually, I think we lose a close one to GT. I just dont have much faith in the defense and the offense has to replace about 95% of its production from last year.

Reactions: 17 people
I don't get it, we get this often from other teams as well. Is it because of the offensive system and because people don't like the cut blocks? up until 2015 we were tied for the most active consecutive bowl appearances. We won the orange bowl in 2014 with 11 wins. We have been below .500 only once in recent years. We had 9 wins last year with 3 coming against the sec east. We hold a 5-5 record against Clemson and a 5-5 record against FSU since Paul Johnson has been our coach. So why do people say we suck when these facts are more than most other teams can say that we play. Imo it's a misconception based on the fact that we run the offensive system we run, so a lot are just uninformed about us. If there is actually reason why people say this besides, because we cut block and run the system we run (which are not reasons a team would suck) please tell me. Not trying to start anything, this is a serious question.

Nothing against Tech, but cut blocking should be banned in football at all levels. Any coach that teaches it should be banned. Going for another players knees is evil and wrong, it causes far too many injuries. Blocks should only be allowed above the waist line.

Reactions: 28 people
Nothing against Tech, but cut blocking should be banned in football at all levels. Any coach that teaches it should be banned. Going for another players knees is evil and wrong, it causes far too many injuries. Blocks should only be allowed above the waist line.

But pretty much every team cut blocks including UT, we just do it more often. I'll leave it at this though so we don't start another cut block debate lol.

Reactions: 4 people
I've stayed out of the conversations this far because I don't think GT sucks.

I believe you are the most dangerous opener we've had in a long time.

I think if we come out like we did last year against App St we're gonna lose.I think if we come out prepared we'll win.

Reasons VN is saying GT suck.

1. We're playing you.
Wait until you see the "Make fun of GT" thread game week.

2. Wishbone blocking scheme.
Injury concerns valid or not and some refuse to view it, whether it's accurate or not, as more than a gimmick offense indicative of lesser talent.

3. Conference pride.
We hate Bama and are mostly glad Clemson beat them but refuse to believe other conferences are at our talent level.

4. You withdrew from the SEC.

5. You're a recruiting rival

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-03-00-05-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-08-03-00-05-39.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
If I need a widget built, or industrial measurements, you're my team.

If I need football, I'll take any number of SEC schools.

You're Vanderbilt, minus the prestige.

What SEC teams? UGA? Vandy? Miss st? UK? we have a 5-1 record against these teams since 2014. Not to mention we destroyed vandy so i don't think they are on the same level as us.

I've stayed out of the conversations this far because I don't think GT sucks.

I believe you are the most dangerous opener we've had in a long time.

I think if we come out like we did last year against App St we're gonna lose.I think if we come out prepared we'll win.

Reasons VN is saying GT suck.

1. We're playing you.
Wait until you see the "Make fun of GT" thread game week.

2. Wishbone blocking scheme.
Injury concerns valid or not and some refuse to view it, whether it's accurate or not, as more than a gimmick offense indicative of lesser talent.

3. Conference pride.
We hate Bama and are mostly glad Clemson beat them but refuse to believe other conferences are at our talent level.

4. You withdrew from the SEC.

5. You're a recruiting rival
Good points but that still wouldn't mean we suck. ( I know you're not saying we suck)

Reactions: 1 person
GT by no means sucks. As a matter of fact they are a good football team. Any Vol fan who thinks we will just walk all over GT is delusional. This is a game we could lose very easily. Actually, I think we lose a close one to GT. I just dont have much faith in the defense and the offense has to replace about 95% of its production from last year.

You would be surprised at how often I hear that GT sucks. Mercer fans were even saying they could beat us last year, same for GA southern.

79c701ea4f32c70d0a24f53304d0599a.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Administration, jerseys, recruiting, coaches, style of offense, stadium/facilities, etc

Those are the things my GT friends typically complain about

Reactions: 12 people
I by no means think GT sucks though.

GT is a well coached team that comes ready to play mostly. Will be a fun game barring injuries

Reactions: 5 people
People see the disparity in recruiting and guys going into the NFL between UT (as well as the top teams we play) and GT and assume it means they're not that talented. And, truth be told, there is a pretty big gap in terms of raw athleticism and talent on roster between y'all and other teams we'll play this year like Bama, UGA, and LSU.

But at the same time, football is a team sport and GT has a system that negates that gap and can run like a well oiled machine when the right guys are in place and all executing their assignments well. I think a lot of fans don't look at the scheme side of things and how much of an equalizer that can be.

Honestly, if y'all ran the type of offense we do (or similar to any other ones on our schedule or past opponents), I wouldn't worry about this game very much. But that's just not the case.

People who say GT sucks probably do so because GT isn't a big national draw. This game worries me and it wouldn't surprise me if it came down to the wire.

Reactions: 2 people
People see the disparity in recruiting and guys going into the NFL between UT (as well as the top teams we play) and GT and assume it means they're not that talented. And, truth be told, there is a pretty big gap in terms of raw athleticism and talent on roster between y'all and other teams we'll play this year like Bama, UGA, and LSU.

But at the same time, football is a team sport and GT has a system that negates that gap and can run like a well oiled machine when the right guys are in place and all executing their assignments well. I think a lot of fans don't look at the scheme side of things and how much of an equalizer that can be.

Honestly, if y'all ran the type of offense we do (or similar to any other ones on our schedule or past opponents), I wouldn't worry about this game very much. But that's just not the case.

I can see this, I do think if we ran a system like y'all our recruiting would be better. We do have to recruit to our system though, and so some 3 star guys that wouldn't play for UT or another big power 5 school turns out to play like a 4 star guy at GT because of the system. Lynch is a RB right now for us that comes to mind.

GA Tech used to be in the SEC eons ago.
They turned their backs on the rest of the league and left the conference.
That makes them turncoats.
Therefore, they're now 'furriners' as far as the SEC is concerned.

I don't think Georgia Tech sucks. I actually pull for you guys when you play any SEC team besides us. I don't like playing you guys. The triple option is hard to prepare for when you're not used to facing it. It's been over a decade since we faced a true triple option offense and we had to stop a 2pt conversion at the end of that one to hang on.

Reactions: 2 people

before this thread, where did you see us saying GT sucked?

VN Store

Back