Why didn't we hire Les Miles?

Miles 100% wins that game yesterday but he wouldn't have been the answer.

Reactions: JoAllan
Miles is on the tail end of his career so I could see how a young guy like Pruitt could appear to have more upside. After Saturday, I'd take the old guy any day!

We should have locked down Leach despite the AD change as the best overall candidate that appeared interested in actually taking the job.

If that didn't work, I was pretty impressed with what Neil Brown had done at Troy against Power 5 schools. We'll see how well he performs at WVU but the guy had experience doing more with less which is unfortunately what UT needs at present. Oh, and he had HC experience. Smart didn't have any HC experience either and that has turned out well but UGA was light years ahead of UT in overall health of program at the time.

Hiring coaches is not easy but UT seems to be uniquely bad at it.

No! WTF you mean no? You Miles would’ve gotten beat by 2-10 GA State, who’s coach is now saying how horrible we are and that his team could’ve ran the same play over and over and we wouldn’t have been able to stop them?

So you’d rather us not have hired a winning P5 coach?

No! WTF you mean no? You Miles would’ve gotten beat by 2-10 GA State, who’s coach is now saying how horrible we are and that his team could’ve ran the same play over and over and we wouldn’t have been able to stop them?

So you’d rather us not have hired a winning P5 coach?
Les Miles isn’t the answer. Period. He’s past his time.

Miles is on the tail end of his career so I could see how a young guy like Pruitt could appear to have more upside. After Saturday, I'd take the old guy any day!

We should have locked down Leach despite the AD change as the best overall candidate that appeared interested in actually taking the job.

If that didn't work, I was pretty impressed with what Neil Brown had done at Troy against Power 5 schools. We'll see how well he performs at WVU but the guy had experience doing more with less which is unfortunately what UT needs at present. Oh, and he had HC experience. Smart didn't have any HC experience either and that has turned out well but UGA was light years ahead of UT in overall health of program at the time.

Hiring coaches is not easy but UT seems to be uniquely bad at it.
Brown had experience as OC at Texas Tech and UK. Also places where you have to do it with less.

I seriously thought Fulmer was going to hire Les Miles when he became AD. I was surprised by the Pruitt hire. I wasn't as big a fan of Leach because that offense doesn't work in the SEC (although he doesn't look like a bad choice now). I thought LSU was stupid to fire Les Miles but I think they lucked out as Ed Odgeron is doing all of the right things.

Mark Richt is available now.

I seriously thought Fulmer was going to hire Les Miles when he became AD. I was surprised by the Pruitt hire. I wasn't as big a fan of Leach because that offense doesn't work in the SEC (although he doesn't look like a bad choice now). I thought LSU was stupid to fire Les Miles but I think they lucked out as Ed Odgeron is doing all of the right things.

Mark Richt is available now.

The air raid doesn't work in the SEC? LOL It works everywhere.

Reactions: UTK and VolArmy74
Because we enjoy the drama of getting hammered by teams like georgia st. Oh and we want to act like some saban assistant with no hc experience will save the program, makes for good internet chatter cause we can pump them up with meaningless accolades.

Last edited:
Reactions: dduncan4163
Every time we have a coaching search (which is often) I wonder who the proven coaches are that you can actually hire. When Jimbo Fisher moved, I got to see the whole "offer you can't refuse" thing in action. We've been through this so many times, as you all know, there's not much reason to discuss all the ins and outs of proven coaches (they're old) and young coaches with their best years ahead of them (they're unproven).

2017 was a bit odd because of the number of unemployed demonstrably "good" coaches; the ones we didn't hire. Interesting how they've done, especially Chip Kelly. Dang. Miles is undefeated! Gruden is bad, but it's all part of his master plan.

Next time instead of "why not Les Miles" we'll be saying "why not Urban Meyer."

Because we are Tennessee and we do not hire other programs rejects. LOL With this attitude we are in the middle of a losing streak to Vandy. It is not going to get any better because we still have that attitude

I got blasted for going in on Les Miles. I did say he would need someone on staff to be the proverbial head coach in waiting but the guy wouldn’t squander the chance after getting fired at an arguably top 5-6 job

Mike Leach would've hung 70+ on GA St. They might've scored 60+ against us, but we woulda won.

Considering the defense was like swiss cheese yesterday I'm not sure Georgia State could've scored more than it did. But Leach would've tried to break offensive records and he will switch QB's to do it if necessary. I never was a Leach guy because of the spread offense and weak defense but after yesterday.....

Why didn't we hire Patterson/Leach/Miles etc, etc..... incompetence is the most likely answer

VN Store

Back