Why didn’t we hire Mark Stoops???

One other thing that aided Jones survival was Hart announcing his departure.
True, although regardless of Hart's situation I think if Butch lost in 2015 to Georgia he was gone. His seat was piping hot entering that game. Year 3 was supposed to be his turnaround year and he'd already lost to Oklahoma, Florida, and Arkansas by blowing big leads. Beating Georgia then handling the soft back end of the schedule was enough to give him another shot to win the East.

True, although regardless of Hart's situation I think if Butch lost in 2015 to Georgia he was gone. His seat was piping hot entering that game. Year 3 was supposed to be his turnaround year and he'd already lost to Oklahoma, Florida, and Arkansas by blowing big leads. Beating Georgia then handling the soft back end of the schedule was enough to give him another shot to win the East.
I agree that there was enough there to do it. But unless that UGA L led to missing a bowl game that year he was coming back. Hart wasn't gonna fire him because Hart wasn't going to be allowed to hire the next guy and then leave. Thats not a good look for an incoming coach that doesn't know who he boss is. You could make the same argument the next year which included his peak and then the quick and abrupt down fall that bled over into 17'. It was a perfect storm that kept him here.

I agree that there was enough there to do it. But unless that UGA L led to missing a bowl game that year he was coming back. Hart wasn't gonna fire him because Hart wasn't going to be allowed to hire the next guy and then leave. Thats not a good look for an incoming coach that doesn't know who he boss is. You could make the same argument the next year which included his peak and then the quick and abrupt down fall that bled over into 17'. It was a perfect storm that kept him here.
Given how Butch's teams tended to fold like cheap tents when adversity hit them, especially later in his tenure, it's a safe assumption to say that would have been the case. If Georgia was a loss, they would have been 2-5 going into the Kentucky game. They almost lost the South Carolina game anyway, so that could have been another L, which would be 3-6. Then they would have had to have beaten North Texas, at Missouri, and Vandy to go to a bowl.

Given how Butch's teams tended to fold like cheap tents when adversity hit them, especially later in his tenure, it's a safe assumption to say that would have been the case. If Georgia was a loss, they would have been 2-5 going into the Kentucky game. They almost lost the South Carolina game anyway, so that could have been another L, which would be 3-6. Then they would have had to have beaten North Texas, at Missouri, and Vandy to go to a bowl.
Possibly.

To that point they had figured out how to beat bad teams for the most part and blow the games where the field was a little more even. The back half of the schedule was much more manageable than it is now.

Not that I was a fan of Jones (going back to early in his tenure) but Im not sure what the end result is of his firing in 15' with a lame duck AD.

Not that I was a fan of Jones (going back to early in his tenure) but Im not sure what the end result is of his firing in 15' with a lame duck AD.
Given how badly the admin screwed up the hiring process once Butch was fired, I wouldn't put it past them for one second that the lame duck AD would fire a coach and need to hire a new one, then that complicates the timetable that the lame duck AD was going to leave on, so he ends up staying longer than anticipated, then the new AD comes in and clashes with the coach the lame duck AD hired, etc. I put no level of incompetence past them. There's no telling what they might have done in that situation.

Given how badly the admin screwed up the hiring process once Butch was fired, I wouldn't put it past them for one second that the lame duck AD would fire a coach and need to hire a new one, then that complicates the timetable that the lame duck AD was going to leave on, so he ends up staying longer than anticipated, then the new AD comes in and clashes with the coach the lame duck AD hired, etc. I put no level of incompetence past them. There's no telling what they might have done in that situation.

I don't know where we are right now just yet, but I can't imagine that working out better.

I think we could say the same about Tennessee right now (regarding bowl games) Stoops is a solid defensive coach who understands that to win in the SEC you gotta be able to run the ball and stop the run. And recruit your *** off since Bama pays all their players. :eek:

Stoops at a program like Tennessee wouldn’t really do any justice considering UK’s expectations in football is like comparing apples to oranges.

Getting to a Bowl Game at Kentucky is pretty much considered a great season for them.

If Stoops goes 12-0 this year he will be 38-36 at UK overall and 20-28 in the conference.

And he started with a roster that had ZERO next-level talent- nothing but 1,2,3 stars. I'm ok with the record, given what I see now.

I think we could say the same about Tennessee right now (regarding bowl games) Stoops is a solid defensive coach who understands that to win in the SEC you gotta be able to run the ball and stop the run. And recruit your *** off since Bama pays all their players. :eek:

Well duh!

I’ll sign with Bama too if they handed me a free Dodge Charger every year. :)

VN Store

Back