Why Coach Cuonzo Martin Left

Or he could have said "Hmmmm I can coach here another year or two with what I've built and get fired, or soak some other school for a few years." because that's what he did.

Reactions: 2 people
Cuonzo loves basketball. He loves to coach and has his own way. He was a highly self motivated player and probably expects his players to be the same. Does he beat on his players as much as he should? I don't know. Maybe he doesn't do rah rah as much as players and fans need. Martin didn't turn into a home run hire, but he did not damage Tennessee basketball. Respect.

I wish that he had stayed, but he chose to leave. Therefore, my "care factor" about Cuonzo Martin is zero. I, like all of you, am a Tennessee Volunteer fan . . . if Martin didn't want to be here as part of the Tennessee Family, it was good that he left. Glad he's gone now, even though I think he could have stayed and done great things. Tennessee comes first!

So is Martin a Vol for Life as so many players that bail out early on the school are called? I hear lines like he "worked real hard" and "gave it his all" and "left it all on the court".

Does he qualify for VFL knighthood??

Cuonzo was gone half way through the season. There we some hi-dollar supporters said he goes or our money goes, they didn't want him here. He was job shopping long before he left. The sweet 16 kept Hart from having to boot him.....Fact

I guess the donor who didn't loan him the jet didn't want to pay for CCM to go crootin for his next destination school. CCM looked at donors, fans and administration with disdain and it was obvious. He made no effort to get their support and only did what he thought was the minimum. He just wanted to coach BB. That's fine, but it fits the job of Asst. Coach and not the head coach at UT.

He turned the players against the fans to motivate them for the final run. That kind of motivation only works for the short run. He could not motivate them for 2 years to consistently defend and get the ball in the paint until they were mad at the fans.

He has 5 more years of HC pay and I am just glad Cal has to pay him instead of us.

Reactions: 3 people
Coach Martin left because he knew he couldn't survive next season and he 1) didn't want scar of being fired on his resume and 2) didn't want to risk getting fired with only a $1mil buyout. If we had offered the same contract to Cuonzo yhat Cal offered, IMO he'd still be here. By going to cal he got more guaranteed money regardless of performance.

Reactions: 1 person

He probably saw the writing on the wall. The fans want results and they they don't get it, they get irate. He witnessed that this season when his team hit a losing streak.

Well, next season's roster will not be as good as this season's roster, so it could get nasty next season.

A.D. didn't have confidence in him, by offering him a $500,000 raise and a couple of years extension.

IF Martin realized that he would not have a good record next season, then he better leave now, when he is in high demand....

Next season = many loses = few job offers at the end of next season.

I would have liked for Martin to have stayed, but if he didn't feel that he was part of the Vol culture then good riddance. If you are going to coach at Tennessee you need to want to be a Vol and never even consider leaving (Fulmer, Chavis, Summit). We need to find someone that would consider coaching at Tennessee their dream job (Butch Jones) and keep them. Martin wasn't tough enough for the SEC or Tennessee; as we found out.

He knew he under achieved and had nothing coming back next yr. He knew he would be fired next yr and would never get another job. Leaving insured him at least 3 more yrs. of millions. Smart move.

He knew he under achieved and had nothing coming back next yr. He knew he would be fired next yr and would never get another job. Leaving insured him at least 3 more yrs. of millions. Smart move.

If Derek Dooley can still get a job coaching football and being paid pretty well for it, I'm fairly certain Cuonzo Martin could've done the same.

What Martin should have said on the way out the door was fu## all you whiny ass sons a b######.
Give you a sweet 16 and some of you still whine like a bunch of girlie boys on the rag..
Sadly, he's a better man than that.

I'm sure next years team could over perform & make a run at the tourney, but I doubt it. My point is, one tourney appearance every 4 years is NOT acceptable. I do agree that CCM is a very humble man, but just not the guy we're looking for to coach our beloved Vols. He seen the writing on the wall & bolted, while his stock was still kinda high.

So is Martin a Vol for Life as so many players that bail out early on the school are called? I hear lines like he "worked real hard" and "gave it his all" and "left it all on the court".

Does he qualify for VFL knighthood??

Hell no.

He left cause all Bruce's talent was gone and the one that landed in his lap was leaving. Your in denial if you can't see that.

What Martin should have said on the way out the door was fu## all you whiny ass sons a b######.
Give you a sweet 16 and some of you still whine like a bunch of girlie boys on the rag..
Sadly, he's a better man than that.

CM's team this year underachieved until they got pissed of over the petition and then decided to play up to their potential. With the exception of the UVa game, this team did not play consistent during the regular season. It took Martin 3 years get to the Tourney; and he barely got in at that.
If he thinks that Cal is a better job than a SEC school, then you have to question is reasoning skills.

Who wouldn't leave? Very critical Fan Base calling for his job halfway through season. Then He ended up being a few seconds away from the Elite 8. Looking at roster for next yr he knew the team would struggle.. Took the new job to have a fresh start with new team and contract.. In the scenario that occurred I think no party lost out on anything..

I guess the donor who didn't loan him the jet didn't want to pay for CCM to go crootin for his next destination school. CCM looked at donors, fans and administration with disdain and it was obvious. He made no effort to get their support and only did what he thought was the minimum. He just wanted to coach BB. That's fine, but it fits the job of Asst. Coach and not the head coach at UT.

He turned the players against the fans to motivate them for the final run. That kind of motivation only works for the short run. He could not motivate them for 2 years to consistently defend and get the ball in the paint until they were mad at the fans.

He has 5 more years of HC pay and I am just glad Cal has to pay him instead of us.

Actually I believe some fans turned the players against the fans if you listen to the players.

Anyone that says Martin's departure convieniently following Peal's hire is a coincidence IMHO is not and accident.

It was your choice to read and comment on a thread you don't care about.

You're right. I didn't say I didn't care, I just think this and so many other threads could hAve been added to another discussion.

It's like "look at me, I have an opinion" thread

You're right. I didn't say I didn't care, I just think this and so many other threads could hAve been added to another discussion.

Hello Jake, I ressemble that remark. I like so many on Volnation care where the program. Many days I log on to see what is happening sometimes you have to take the good with the bad in order to find out what is going on. I did not see any other blog post that had specifically pointed out what Cuonzo had said about his departure. If you are offended by my offering, sorry, I do not like to start any blog that is a repeat of some other. It is hard enough to get the facts about a situation having to read through all of the:crazy: facts some put on this great information center.

You complain about this thread but ignore the 50 Pearl threads that show up every day? Come on man.

He knew odds are he would be let go next year. After the sweet 16 run his stock was higher than it probably ever will be. He picked a good time to leave. Martin and UT are both better off.

VN Store

Back