Who wanted to get rid of Fulmer?

2005 and 2008!! That's the best you can do? Two bad seasons and you get rid of the 2nd greatest coach UT has ever had next to General Neyland!

I always love seeing the 2005/2008 comments. Of course you notice the missing 2006/2007 in there. 19 wins those 2 seasons and 11 in the SEC. Yeah, Dooley needs more time as were losing (3 years into it) and Fulmer was run out of town for winning.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of people like to point to the Wyoming game in 2008 as being the low point. Well for me, the low point was that first game against UCLA. That was a SEVERELY depleted team, I would dare even to say almost as terrible as the Kentucky team we lost to last year. And we let them beat us on national television!! I hear that Hamilton was furious over that loss and basically told Fulmer "We don't go on national television and lose to somebody like that!" That's what really got the ball rolling on getting Fulmer fired. It completely set the tempo for that season.

EDIT: For the record, that was when I knew Fulmer needed to go. To have that team THAT il-prepared going into the season and perform that awful against an opponent we should have throttled was inexcusable! Some want to blame the Clawfense but it's still ultimately the head coach's responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'd be any better if Fulmer was still here. I think we as fans get nostalgic at times in remembering all the good thing he did for us, but 2005 and 2008 were awful seasons, and the fault lay squarely at Phil's feet. He was given a chance to make up for 2002 and 2005, and gave us a few good seasons along with 2008. He lost discipline when he lost Cutcliffe, and that was his undoing.

True. Two things I can say about Fulmer.Being a fan twice as long as most people on here, it was a long, long wait to have a n/c and he delivered on that. So I have a different perspective on that than most so I respect him for that. Secondly, and the record proves my point and yours about Cutcliffe, when he wasn't here, Fulmer struggled with winning.

True. Two things I can say about Fulmer.Being a fan twice as long as most people on here, it was a long, long wait to have a n/c and he delivered on that. So I have a different perspective on that than most so I respect him for that. Secondly, and the record proves my point and yours about Cutcliffe, when he wasn't here, Fulmer struggled with winning.

Exactly. I never thought I'd see a season like 1998, and he brought us some great memories. But with DC leaving, so did the discipline. The longer he was gone, the more the disciline eroded away.

IMO, it wasn't a coincidence that Cutcliffe returned and Ainge got his head out of his ass and started playing football like we all knew the kid could.

I always love seeing the 2005/2008 comments. Of course you notice the missing 2006/2007 in there. 19 wins those 2 seasons and 11 in the SEC. Yeah, Dooley needs more time as were losing (3 years into it) and Fulmer was run out of town for winning.

Fulmer was not fired for losing games, he was fired because he had allowed the program to go down on his watch from an internal standpoint. Lack of disclipine, quality of roster and depth, off the field issues etc etc etc.

You can give credit to Cutcliffe for '06 & '07.

All of Fulmer's teams 1993-2008 had more talent than any of Dooley's.

Dooley's schedules have been tougher too.

Fulmer was not fired for losing games, he was fired because he had allowed the program to go down on his watch from an internal standpoint. Lack of disclipine, quality of roster and depth, off the field issues etc etc etc.

I disagree. CPF, was fired because A). The fair weather fans screamed and cried loud enough that B). The spineless AD(Hamilton) caved in! No doubt the pressure was high in the SEC. New coaches and competition at FLA and Bama. Fulmer, was building the roster back. Hell, look at what Kiffen was able to accomplish and that was 80% Fulmer/Chavis players.

Fulmer didn't wreck UT, He put us on top. fair weather fans and the fallout wrecked UT.

Reactions: 2 people
well said tennman73,i thought he should have been given more time,the hiring of Clawson killed him,all ya gotta do is look at his record,wasn't it 2 losing seasons out of 17 that did him in ? and look at where we are now

I disagree. CPF, was fired because A). The fair weather fans screamed and cried loud enough that B). The spineless AD(Hamilton) caved in! No doubt the pressure was high in the SEC. New coaches and competition at FLA and Bama. Fulmer, was building the roster back. Hell, look at what Kiffen was able to accomplish and that was 80% Fulmer/Chavis players.

Fulmer didn't wreck UT, He put us on top. fair weather fans and the fallout wrecked UT.

What happened to those great recruits from Fulmer the past 3 senior classes?

A constant flow of off the field incidents which because of technology Phil could no longer pull any strings and keep it all quiet.

Meyer was in his fourth season and was undefeated against Fulmer and Saban was in year 2 at the time of the firing.

The combination is what got Phil in the long run and nothing to do with "fair weather fans" or Hamilton

What happened to those great recruits from Fulmer the past 3 senior classes?

A constant flow of off the field incidents which because of technology Phil could no longer pull any strings and keep it all quiet.

Meyer was in his fourth season and was undefeated against Fulmer and Saban was in year 2 at the time of the firing.

The combination is what got Phil in the long run and nothing to do with "fair weather fans" or Hamilton

Well, you won! Congradulations, here's your prize....Dooley. :salute:

Well, you won! Congradulations, here's your prize....Dooley. :salute:

Didn't know I had that much of an impact on the BOT

Fans have been calling for DD's head since he walked on campus, are you bitter over the KY loss?

Since you claim the fanbase has so much power over the BOT why is DD still here?

There is a Fulmer Extravaganza thread where I have stated my thoughts in great detail about Phil.

Man this thread has gone way off the track from the intent of my question...sorry to have picked that scab.

I have been labeled a "Sunshine Pumper" - I guess by NegaVols. I thought we were declining compared to FL and Bama under Fulmer and thought it was a bit beyond time for him to go when he was let go. I have been incorrectly cast as a former Fulmerite that is happy with mediocrity and losing to UF and Bama for stating my opinion that Dooley inherited a train wreck and that assuming the wheels don't come off this year, he needs more time.

The point of the question was to clarify if the current "NegaVols" (better labeled NegaDools, IMO) were generally in the Fulmerite or "Fire Phil" camp.

It is interesting to observe that the Sunshine Pumpers seem to get their fan card and heart questioned a hell of a lot more than that of the NegaVols.

Any input on that question is appreciated. Otherwise, carry on...

Man this thread has gone way off the track from the intent of my question...sorry to have picked that scab.

I have been labeled a "Sunshine Pumper" - I guess by NegaVols. I thought we were declining compared to FL and Bama under Fulmer and thought it was a bit beyond time for him to go when he was let go. I have been incorrectly cast as a former Fulmerite that is happy with mediocrity and losing to UF and Bama for stating my opinion that Dooley inherited a train wreck and that assuming the wheels don't come off this year, he needs more time.

The point of the question was to clarify if the current "NegaVols" (better labeled NegaDools, IMO) were generally in the Fulmerite or "Fire Phil" camp.

It is interesting to observe that the Sunshine Pumpers seem to get their fan card and heart questioned a hell of a lot more than that of the NegaVols.

Any input on that question is appreciated. Otherwise, carry on...

good call.

many of the most vocal seem to have zero understanding of just how low our program sunk.

I'm optimistic...hopefully CDD gets the chance to see this thing through and prove the doubters wrong.

A lot of people like to point to the Wyoming game in 2008 as being the low point. Well for me, the low point was that first game against UCLA. That was a SEVERELY depleted team, I would dare even to say almost as terrible as the Kentucky team we lost to last year. And we let them beat us on national television!! I hear that Hamilton was furious over that loss and basically told Fulmer "We don't go on national television and lose to somebody like that!" That's what really got the ball rolling on getting Fulmer fired. It completely set the tempo for that season.

EDIT: For the record, that was when I knew Fulmer needed to go. To have that team THAT il-prepared going into the season and perform that awful against an opponent we should have throttled was inexcusable! Some want to blame the Clawfense but it's still ultimately the head coach's responsibility.
UCLA game in 08. Was that the game we led 14-7 and were on the goal line when the "best" back in the NFL simply layed it on the ground?

UCLA game in 08. Was that the game we led 14-7 and were on the goal line when the "best" back in the NFL simply layed it on the ground?

Yes it was. However that should've been completely inconsequential to the outcome of that game. The disparity in talent between us and UCLA that year was about as wide as the Grand freaking Canyon!

fulmer---was never the same after that choke against lsu in the SEC title game in 2001.

It started the night they beat FL .
Team arrived back at Knoxville waving Roses to the media saying they were on their way to Pasadena with Fulmer right in the middle of it. Nick Saban thought differently.

That was a stupid stupid stupid move on Fulmer part.

It started the night they beat FL .
Team arrived back at Knoxville waving Roses to the media saying they were on their way to Pasadena with Fulmer right in the middle of it. Nick Saban thought differently.

That was a stupid stupid stupid move on Fulmer part.
Another stupid move on his part was authorizing those second half fumbles.

Yes it was. However that should've been completely inconsequential to the outcome of that game. The disparity in talent between us and UCLA that year was about as wide as the Grand freaking Canyon!

Dropping the ball right before crossing the goal line has always been an inconsequential occurance. Indeed, one of the times when ball security is at it's least importance has always been in "goal to go" situations. -- UCLA had no draft picks on that team either. AV does not start for the Titans at corner.

I don't understand how anyone could be in the "Fire Fulmer" crowd for thinking he couldn't get it done considering he had won a NC in the past but now be in the Pro-Dooley crowd when he has literally never accomplished anything positive as a HC.

FTR, I though it was time for Fulmer to go, and now think Dooley needs to be shown the door as well. He's had his fair shake and has done nothing but drag the program to unthinkable lows (losing to a UK team with no QB). Say what you will about the roster he inherited, but it wasn't bad enough to EVER justify that loss.

I agree. We keep setting the bar lower and he continues to trip over it. Now - a big part of the Vol nation is content ( almost) if we play a top 20 team close. that would have been unthinkable 5 years ago.

Another stupid move on his part was authorizing those second half fumbles.

You don't think Fulmer authorized the roses when the players walked off the plane with them?

Where do you think the Roses came from?

That act of stupidity was 100% on Fulmer.

You don't think Fulmer authorized the roses when the players walked off the plane with them?

Where do you think the Roses came from?

That act of stupidity was 100% on Fulmer.

Whether he knew or not matters little. It happened. I don't know where they came from. If you feel that way, fine. :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back