Who qualifies for 'VFL' status in your eyes?

I would say yes because he...

A. Played here at least 3 years.

B. Was acquitted of the charges that abruptly ended his career here. Did he put himself in a bad situation that could've been avoided? Absolutely. But he was found not guilty and he gave his all while playing here. He's VFL in my book.
And I would completely agree.

Like AJ there have been a few players that weren’t afforded the opportunity to finish their career at Tennessee. Maybe during their time here there was some contribution on the field or off that positively influenced the program.

My take: No matter what someone has done for the Vols, if they don't finish their college career here they are generally dead to me fanwise and I certainly don't wish them well at their new school. In fact, how I think of their time here is tarnished at best. Sure, if they win a natty or something maybe that changes, but right now it just leaves a sour taste. For example, Aidoo can pound sand. I hope he misses every basket and gets benched. Call me petty, but it's just how I feel. On the other hand, if a player chooses UT to finish their career and comes from another school (think Bru or DK), I think of them as a VFL right along with players who spent their entire career as a Vol.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I should have clarified that I'm talking about players in fan eyes, not individuals. Obviously, anyone can identify as a VFL if they want to.

Dalton Knecht is definitely a VFL.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Players leave for a variety of reasons. Think who is a VFL is on a case by case basis. Would take a page out of the Supreme Court and their definition of obscenity by saying, “I’ll know it when I see it.”

It should be when you have the Parchment hanging on the wall. Anyone can attend, but it takes a special perseverance to graduate. The elite players that came back during breaks to complete the degree are special people. VFL is earned.
So a guy like Al Wilson isn't a VFL ???...seems odd

Reactions: kcvols1
Veterans who buy tickets year in and year out, with their paltry pay checks. Those who are there rain & shine, and spend Big $$$ for gas, food, lodging, and souvenirs. Those are your VFL's!
So you think people who religiously attend the games are better fans than those who watch religiously on TV? Sounds like you're saying the UT fans with $$$ are more important than those who might not can afford the trip

Definition of a Vol For Life - I don't think anyone else but you can define a VFL. What I mean is, being a VFL means different things to different people. Some people may have played a sport at UT. Some went to school at UT. Some worked for UT. Some are donors. Some like UT for various reasons and just always cheer for the UT sports teams. Some may be kin to a person that loves UT, so they cheer for them. Some may be like me. When I was young, I would go to bed and hide my radio under the covers and listen to John Ward call the UT basketball games so my Mom and Dad would think I was asleep. How many times did I hear John Ward say, "Bottom" when a UT player made a shot? I had to contain myself so my parents wouldn't hear me! That led me to being a UT graduate, an avid fan, a football season ticket holder, and a Dad of a UT student. My point is, if you
"Bleed Orange," you will know it. Then you are a Vol For Life.

Last edited:
nope

That’s how the Vol For Life program came to life, which is when the term picked up steam. I’m sure some people said “Vol for life” before that. It just wasn’t used all the time like it is now, unfortunately. You can’t prove that Reggie White didn’t say Vol for Life.

My father was the first in our family to earn a letter from Tennessee. He did that in 1931 and I still have his certificate.. My season tickets are the one he first bought in 1933. My oldest brother played basketball in the early 1940s, but he joined the Army Air Crops during WWII. He married and had a child and when he returned to Tennessee he was not allowed to play basketball because he was married. What a stupid rule. I have 5 generations of Tennessee Alumni with a grandson currently who will start his fourth year this Fall. I have a son who was a Tennessee football player 1995-1998 and has 2 SEC Championship rings and a NCAA Championship and Letter men's ring. I consider myself a VOL for Life even though I did not play a sport while I was at Tennessee, but I do have a certificate as a President of The Big Orange Club.

It should be when you have the Parchment hanging on the wall. Anyone can attend, but it takes a special perseverance to graduate. The elite players that came back during breaks to complete the degree are special people. VFL is earned.
I agree! UT did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible to graduate. But, I'm old (late 90's) and experiences will differ. But for those who shared an experience like mine that parchment was hard earned.

One Tiny Example: About a month before graduation, my parents (don't know why they didn't send it to me) got a notice that I did not have the credits to graduate, that I would need at least one more semester, possibly two. To be fair, I had changed majors multiple times, but it wasn't as if I had not been working closely with academic counselors in my chosen department to make sure I was progressing on a path to graduate. My saving grace was that I happened to be in a capstone class taught by the dean of my college. Because it was a small class he got to know me personally and I had been doing pretty good work. I took him the letter. He sat down and went through my transcript and reassigned credits that the school was trying to deny so I graduated on time. I can only imagine how hard that could have been if I didn't have the luck of having a dean's ear in a class that he wasn't even supposed to be teaching. But imagine getting that letter after the school had already confirmed you were graduating, after you had already sent out graduation announcements, after people had booked rooms to come in from out of town, when everything was close to being wrapped up. That's what they called the "Big Orange Screw", but luckily I only got the tip.

My take: No matter what someone has done for the Vols, if they don't finish their college career here they are generally dead to me fanwise and I certainly don't wish them well at their new school. In fact, how I think of their time here is tarnished at best. Sure, if they win a natty or something maybe that changes, but right now it just leaves a sour taste. For example, Aidoo can pound sand. I hope he misses every basket and gets benched. Call me petty, but it's just how I feel. On the other hand, if a player chooses UT to finish their career and comes from another school (think Bru or DK), I think of them as a VFL right along with players who spent their entire career as a Vol.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I should have clarified that I'm talking about players in fan eyes, not individuals. Obviously, anyone can identify as a VFL if they want to.
What about that basketball player who transferred to USC, but still continued to write songs about UT?

It's "Vol for the Year" now. Under these conditions, the number of players playing their full careers at their original university will be cut in half right away. In 10 years the only players to finish will be the average players who have no significant value or those pulling multimillion dollar contracts.. What we can already see from threads like this that its turning off fans, you know, the ones who pay for the entire mess. I am curious to see if fans will continue to follow teams/players with the same emotion, maybe winning is enough?

Reactions: Voltopia
When it comes to the VolNation message boards, I'm suspicious of anyone that registered after October 10/10/2016.

The only true VFLs are the fans as they were offered nothing in return for their loyalty. The players all receive something in return to play and the coaches are paid. Only the fans truly give up something and get nothing in return other than to cheer their team on.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

VN Store

Back