Who qualifies for 'VFL' status in your eyes?

tennesseekilt

My take: No matter what someone has done for the Vols, if they don't finish their college career here they are generally dead to me fanwise and I certainly don't wish them well at their new school. In fact, how I think of their time here is tarnished at best. Sure, if they win a natty or something maybe that changes, but right now it just leaves a sour taste. For example, Aidoo can pound sand. I hope he misses every basket and gets benched. Call me petty, but it's just how I feel. On the other hand, if a player chooses UT to finish their career and comes from another school (think Bru or DK), I think of them as a VFL right along with players who spent their entire career as a Vol.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I should have clarified that I'm talking about players in fan eyes, not individuals. Obviously, anyone can identify as a VFL if they want to.

Last edited:
My take: No matter what someone has done for the Vols, if they don't finish their college career here they are generally dead to me fanwise and I certainly don't wish them well at their new school. In fact, how I think of their time here is tarnished at best. Sure, if they win a natty or something maybe that changes, but right now it just leaves a sour taste. For example, Aidoo can pound sand. I hope he misses every basket and gets benched. Call me petty, but it's just how I feel. On the other hand, if a player chooses UT to finish their career and comes from another school (think Bru or DK), I think of them as a VFL right along with players who spent their entire career as a Vol.

What do you guys think?
I second this^

If someone earns their degree from here and pursues a better opportunity elsewhere, then they are still a VFL IMO.

Let's take Ty Chandler. Tennessee kid. Commits to play here. Has a good career here. His senior year, we go 3 and 7. Crap with Pruitt hits the fan. A ton of kids transfer. With an NFL career and millions of dollars on the line, what's he going to do? The guy perceived as our best returning o lineman, Wanya Morris, is leaving. A ton of other kids are leaving. He made a business decision to go to a team that he seemed to be a good fit for and a chance to best showcase his talent to NFL scouts. He had no way of knowing how things would work out with Heupel in year one. He made the decision I would have advised my son to make if he were in that same spot.

I'm not going to take away VFL status from that guy.

Last edited:

What do you guys think?
I generally get where you are coming from, but there are cases like mentiomed above where I would not take away the VFL from a player like Chandler if he wanted to be associated with our great University still as a VFL. A guy like Aidoo, youre absolutely correct, he can pound sand....a VFL doesnt run from tough situations....when people call you soft....a VFL puts on more steam and accepts the challenge to prove they are not soft and changes the perception people have of them. Another example is Tyler Baron....he can pound sand as well.

It doesn't matter what you or I think about someone else.

There are as many unique circumstances as there are people. Sometimes those circumstances pull people down weird life paths, even sometimes away from the University of Tennessee.

No matter their path, if they are committed to being a Vol in their heart for the rest of their lives, they're a VFL. Everyone determines that for themselves. You and I can spout our own opinions of them, but if you think about it, we're not deciding anything. There is no committee; there are no external qualifications.

Go Vols!

It should be when you have the Parchment hanging on the wall. Anyone can attend, but it takes a special perseverance to graduate. The elite players that came back during breaks to complete the degree are special people. VFL is earned.

It should be when you have the Parchment hanging on the wall. Anyone can attend, but it takes a special perseverance to graduate. The elite players that came back during breaks to complete the degree are special people. VFL is earned.
No, man, that's too small a definition. The Tennessee Family is much too large for that to fit.

Consider this scenario: your daughter went to UT to play softball. You and your wife became committed Vols, for the rest of your lives. But neither of you ever attended the university. Her little brother became a huge, lifelong Volunteer, though he never went to college at all; got out of high school, and straight into the Army, where he served a full career, bleeding orange the whole way. The folks across the street were VFLs, too; they attended or watched every single football game including the lads in orange for 58 years together.

Everyone in that scenario is a VFL. Only one of them went to UT. And we don't even know if she ever got the diploma....

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Who is a VFL? Really want to know? OK, here it is. Every Vols fan who remained loyal football fans throughout our fall from grace, and being lost in the abyss of irrelevancy from Fulmer's firing to the Heup hire. Belting out Rockytop the whole way.

1714903204077.gif

If we're strictly talking about players, its hard to define honestly. You almost have to take it on a case by case basis...

1.) The most obvious group is players who played all four years of their career here and earned their degree. These are obvious, undisputed VFL's.

2.) The second group would be players who played here 3 years and left early for the NFL draft. Are these guys considered VFL's?

3.) The third group would be transfer players who only played one or two years here and graduated or went on to the NFL. Are these guys VFL?

4.) The fourth group would be guys who never finished their college career here. They either transferred to another school, quit, or was kicked off the team. Are these guys VFL?

What do you guys think?
That is and should be up to the former players actual VFL'S not the fans

I have a “Non-Player” or “Coach” category. Freak, Fingers, and BTO lead this group.

Here’s a true VFL:

If you look real close, there is a guy in the 14th row on the right wearing orange. He’s a VFL.

I honestly don't think it's a fan's award to give out. Some kid battles at UT for years, possibly graduates, then steps away for life changing money at 21yo and you're going to condemn him for that? Why would you not want someone you invested years in to be successful? Imo it's such a selfish take when talking about 17-22yo

If we're strictly talking about players, its hard to define honestly. You almost have to take it on a case by case basis...

1.) The most obvious group is players who played all four years of their career here and earned their degree. These are obvious, undisputed VFL's.

2.) The second group would be players who played here 3 years and left early for the NFL draft. Are these guys considered VFL's?

3.) The third group would be transfer players who only played one or two years here and graduated or went on to the NFL. Are these guys VFL?

4.) The fourth group would be guys who never finished their college career here. They either transferred to another school, quit, or was kicked off the team. Are these guys VFL?

1-3, yes. 4, absolutely not. They are dead to me. :)

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I should have clarified that I'm talking about players in fan eyes, not individuals. Obviously, anyone can identify as a VFL if they want to.
I think a lot of fans have never given any blood, sweat, or tears for the programs they cheer for. They prove what know nothing idiots they are by coming in here and throwing around terms they can’t comprehend. Also I think their lives must be very boring to want to discuss this BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I have been a Vol fan for over 60 years, I will be until I take my last breath, through the highs and lows. I know many of you are the same. We may not have played at Tennessee, but, we give our all for the Vols. I consider that a VFL! If the players come here and finish here, I consider them VFL too. Just my opinion

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

VN Store

Back