Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

There is only one group on defense that hasn't gotten better. In fact they look worse. Even our linebackers have gotten better and that's where we are really short on talent. Banks and Martinez are weak links on this staff.
Jeremy Banks had 128 tackles last year. This year he has 46. And Beasley was one of the main guys played with poor effort against SC.

I wouldn’t say we’ve gotten better at LB

Well if Banks is gone I’m pretty sure the new DC brings in most of his own guys anyways. So A takes care of B.

Hire Barry Odom at this point. Heupel knows him. He knows the conference. Understands how to put a good defense on the field. Probably could convince Garner to stay as well.

Best one I have heard yet, and I think we could get him.

Heupel wouldn’t replace a defensive assistant without first looking at the defensive coordinator, I don’t think.

If he decides to replace the DC he’d probably begin by reaching out to some of people he offered the job to in 2021. Tennessee is a much more attractive place now, obviously, so may have more luck this time around

Jeremy Banks had 128 tackles last year. This year he has 46. And Beasley was one of the main guys played with poor effort against SC.

I wouldn’t say we’ve gotten better at LB
Beasley didn't play with poor effort. The entire defense played bad and South Carolina played better than they ever have or ever will again. For the most part our linebackers are better than they were at the beginning of the season. They still aren't a quality group in my opinion. They have been coached though and you can tell it. The dbs have been playing crappy all year long and it hasn't çhanged.

Reactions: VAVol85
IDK what to do here. Alot on this forum want to claim we dont have SEC caliber talent.. i agree. but are they not better than Akron, UT martin etc?? those QBs threw for 300 yards against this defense.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
IDK what to do here. Alot on this forum want to claim we dont have SEC caliber talent.. i agree. but are they not better than Akron, UT martin etc?? those QBs threw for 300 yards against this defense.

Agreed. You can’t tell me Akron, Middle TN State, Coastal Carolina, Western Michigan and Charlotte have better talent in the secondary than we do. That’s just a flat out lie. We need a better DC and DB coach.

Jim Knowles at Ohio State, previously at OK State, only makes about $2M per year. He's low key, like Heupel, but runs a tough, efficient D.

You want an off the wall name…Lance Guidry at Marshall. Top 10 defense overall, top 10 scoring defense, top 5 in TO’s, 1st in 3rd down defense, top 5 in INT’s, top 10 in rush defense, top 25 in pass defense, coaches DB’s. First year at McNeese St as DC helped them go 10-0 in the regular season, winning 10 games for the first time in 6 years. Had 12th ranked total defense, 3rd in scoring defense and 4th in rush defense. Raised Janzen Jackson to be a pretty damn good DB… human not so much.

Sounds like this guy is worth a good look. Rather impressive.

Teaching technique can't make a player better than he otherwise would be athletically. Or you could "coach up" anyone to be a Randy Moss or Sean Taylor. But of course you can't. You need the raw talent. No blue font sir.
If a player has bad technique and you properly coach them up to have good technique then you did your job. Same way as if a player is constantly out of position and you instruct them to be in the correct position then you properly coach that player. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

Jim Knowles at Ohio State, previously at OK State, only makes about $2M per year. He's low key, like Heupel, but runs a tough, efficient D.
“Only”? Ohio State bumped up Al Washington’s pay as a LINEBACKERS COACH when we offered him the DC position…only to fire him a year later. Knowles is that much more revered. We ain’t money whipping him here.

Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good.

I see this a lot and I understand where people are coming from. But I think it depends on the metric. If our hurry up gives opponents 2 extra possessions per game, then I'd expect points and yards gained would increase proportionately. But yards per play and yards per drive or 3rd down conversion rates should be about the same regardless of how many times opponents get the ball. Those, I think, are the numbers we shoukd be focusing on when we evaluate this defense against others. I think maybe we are comparing the wrong numbers when we talk about this.

Just something to consider.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
“Only”? Ohio State bumped up Al Washington’s pay as a LINEBACKERS COACH when we offered him the DC position…only to fire him a year later. Knowles is that much more revered. We ain’t money whipping him here.
They asked for the best. Knowles is one of the best in the business.

You aren’t going to find less talent in the secondary unless you look to the JUCO ranks
The secondary is comprised of 3 and 4 star recruits and the no. 3 defensive back from the JUCO ranks. You can argue they have not lived up to their potential, but don’t the coaches bear some of the responsibility for that?

Reactions: VolSummitt44
Were you being facetious with the “only 2 million” part? Not debating his status…just the odds of landing him.
The OP's question was couched that we'd need to "open up the bank" and Knowles wouldn't work cheap. Do I think we could get him? Hell no.

The question wasn't about our odds of getting a coach but about "who is the best "

The OP's question was couched that we'd need to "open up the bank" and Knowles wouldn't work cheap. Do I think we could get him? Hell no.

The question wasn't about our odds of getting a coach but about "who is the best "
My bad. Assumed we were going realistic.

Reactions: feathersax
There is only so much a db coach can teach. As much as any position it is a position of instincts as you are almost 100% reactionary. All defense positions sometimes are that way but sometimes no matter what the offense calls the linebacker is blitzing and doesn't matter or lineman drops into zone or whatever based off what qb does. With corner you are having to get those hips turned and headed up field and trust when to turn that head because turn too soon and if re iver breaks you lose him and if you turn too late cant make the play and likely get a penalty. Some of that can be helped in practice bust most of that is the corner is qualified to cover or he isn't. Sadly it seems we need replacements all over the secondary.

When week after week after week we see failure to seal the edges (coaching), failure to wrap up on tackles in space (coaching) and undisciplined secondary play eg. trash talking and poor down field coverage technique (coaching); all of which are accentuated by a lack of quality players then changes are needed. We certainly have to recruit better talent and more of it to provide the execution and depth we need to match our offensive style. But getting the talent will not do much if it is not coached, developed and disciplined to do basic secondary things like seal, tackle and cover. The Butch Jones era ought to have taught us that. I have no idea what CJH will do to correct the two pronged deficiencies that are crippling us now. But I hope and trust that staff changes aren't far away and that a focused recruiting effort is made. Recruits aren't blind. We have not attracted top flight secondary talent because those guys want to play for the best secondary coaches.....neither of whom are named Banks or Martinez.

Reactions: Tnphil

VN Store

Back