Who has the best Philly in Chattanooga

A little late probably, however there is a restaurant called the city cafe diner. It's beside a days inn, really good portion with exceptional flavor. Price is I believe around $10.

The one off Bonny Oaks?? Across from Land Rover dealership? Will have to check it out.
I was going to say Cheddar's on Gunbarrel.

Philadelphia is corrupted by cheese whiz. *****ers put cheese whiz on everything. Ruin countless cheese steak sandwiches with that "food product."

A true cheese steak is made with thin sliced griddled beef steak, diced onions, and provolone cheese. Anything else is a faux cheese steak, even if some born-in-the-city-limits Philadelphian swears otherwise.

One exception is worth mentioning - John's Roast Pork makes a fine steak & cheese sandwich, even though they use white American cheese.

Philadelphia is corrupted by cheese whiz. *****ers put cheese whiz on everything. Ruin countless cheese steak sandwiches with that "food product."

A true cheese steak is made with thin sliced griddled beef steak, diced onions, and provolone cheese. Anything else is a faux cheese steak, even if some born-in-the-city-limits Philadelphian swears otherwise.

One exception is worth mentioning - John's Roast Pork makes a fine steak & cheese sandwich, even though they use white American cheese.

Swears otherwise? The original cheesesteak was from Pat's. They use that "faux cheese" among others.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PhiladelphiaCheeseSteak.htm

1968-69 there was a roach coach that set up near Hess Hall on UTK Campus. The best "beef & smokey sharp on long dark with a dill spear and a coke" I ever had. Great on a Deep and Dark December with the Sounds of Silence Blowin in the Wind from open dorm room windows.
It was the steamer that heated the whole thing at once. OMG 45 years later and my mouth waters.

Kathy says, neither. LaSpada's in S. Phllly. White American with fried onions.

I'll have to try LaSpadas. Tony Lukes is better than either Pats or Genos, but there are places I know in Jersey that have a better cheesesteak than all of those. Pats and Genos are so touristy. Most of the locals know there are way better options.

I'll have to try LaSpadas. Tony Lukes is better than either Pats or Genos, but there are places I know in Jersey that have a better cheesesteak than all of those. Pats and Genos are so touristy. Most of the locals know there are way better options.

LaSpadas is in Ridley Park. She's taken me to some hole in the wall places that serve beer at the bar for $0.50 and in the back make incredible cheesesteaks.

Reactions: 1 person
Swears otherwise? The original cheesesteak was from Pat's. They use that "faux cheese" among others.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PhiladelphiaCheeseSteak.htm

You spin the story falsely. You work in communications for a politician?

"Cheez Whiz" didn't exist when Joe Lorenzo added cheese to his steak sammie. Joe added provolone.

"Cheez Whiz" was created by Kraft in the '50s. It corrupted cheesesteaks shortly thereafter. Purportedly, Geno's began using "Cheez Whiz" because it sped up production. Southsiders actually liked the sammies ruined with faux cheese, and Pat's soon followed suit. Of course, locals near the X-shaped intersection of 9th and E. Passyunk will argue it the other way around - Pat's was first to use whiz. Who was first doesn't matter. Kraft's Krapola ruins countless sammies. It's a sacrilege, and both Pat's and Geno's now serve whizsteaks, exclusively. One has to dine elsewhere to get a true cheesesteak.

Thanks guys, I ended up going to Lenny's Subs by Chili's at Hamilton Place. I was disappointed but I think some people like their style of philly.

Strange, use to work with a guy from Philly that said Lennys had the closest thing to it down here.

The Ankar's Hoagies on Shallowford Rd (near Wendy's) changed to Firebox Grill (pretty sure it's the same people). Food is just as good and they have Philly's on the menu. There is still an Ankar's on Lee Hwy at EB Rd. in the strip center where Sir Gooney's and Rib & Loin are...and one on Hwy 58 near Taco Bell.

That was Glen- Gene deli on shallowford that changed to Firebox. Is a good place and they have another location in Hixson.

Ankars is very good as well.

Smh @ Lenny's

That was Glen- Gene deli on shallowford that changed to Firebox. Is a good place and they have another location in Hixson.

Smh @ Lenny's

How about Armando's? Their burgers and clubs and great. I'd be shocked if their Philly weren't worthy.

Smh @ Lenny's

I miss the Glen-Gene Deli that used to be on the 10000 block of Kingston Pike. It's been gone for 10 or 15 years now. At least the building is a Subway now and not another payday advance or check cashing business. It was an Enterprise Car Rental store for a couple of years.

VN Store

Back