Who did Tennessee lose…

I haven't followed nearly as much as I used to. How closely do you follow recruiting? Compare the edge guys and LBers the Top 2 signed.
I follow pretty closely. Bama wanted Carter in the worst way, as did OSU. We beat them straight up. Georgia wanted Hobbs and Herring bad. Nico was the single most coveted recruit in the nation

Georgia wanted herring bad. Rickey Gibson was a absolute take at Georgia. Bradley was getting recruited by Georgia but he wasn’t a fan of them for some reason. The others weren’t takes at bama or geirgia but it’s not like we beat out App state(no disrespect bishop) we beat out Texas, Penn state, Texas am, Ohio state, the Carolina’s for Leacock. So you were half right I guess

Georgia signed 4 CBs higher rated than Gibson. Herring I'm not so sure wouldn't have been processed on signing day. They like the IMG kid's size better than Herrings. The other's are 5 star players in different rankings.

Georgia signed 4 CBs higher rated than Gibson. Herring I'm not so sure wouldn't have been processed on signing day. They like the IMG kid's size better than Herrings. The other's are 5 star players in different rankings.
You see if you paid attention in august you would have seen that Georgia was pissed that they didn’t get Gibson. They had three crystal balls for him and we stole him from them. Even their own insiders were saying that he was a take. So I’m gonna go with their insiders on this one pal

The question was who did we lose that we recruited hard. These are some of them. I never said we had them to lose. Just answered the question asked.
Maybe the question should be; who did we not get that we recruited very long and hard because you can not lose something you don’t have.

We are a mid tier program now that every once in awhile can come up and have a special season like this year our recruiting will never be on par with Bama, Georgia or Ohio St. 9 or 8th ranked and cracking the top ten is a great class for us considering it’s been 25 years nearly since we last won a national or conference title. I expect a slide back to a 8-4 or 7-5 type season next year but our 2024 class will be another top ten class and we can build on another very solid class. We need to string together about 5 straight winning seasons some good bowl appearances and put at least three straight wins on Florida. This isn’t the 90’s anymore where Phil was bringing in top 3 classes every season and cherry picking Georgia cause they were largely a unstable program in the 90’s. Be happy with 9-4 and 10 win season folks and the SEC is about to get even more difficult with OU and Texas two schools that have recruiting classes rated higher than ours.

We are a mid tier program now that every once in awhile can come up and have a special season like this year our recruiting will never be on par with Bama, Georgia or Ohio St. 9 or 8th ranked and cracking the top ten is a great class for us considering it’s been 25 years nearly since we last won a national or conference title. I expect a slide back to a 8-4 or 7-5 type season next year but our 2024 class will be another top ten class and we can build on another very solid class. We need to string together about 5 straight winning seasons some good bowl appearances and put at least three straight wins on Florida. This isn’t the 90’s anymore where Phil was bringing in top 3 classes every season and cherry picking Georgia cause they were largely a unstable program in the 90’s. Be happy with 9-4 and 10 win season folks and the SEC is about to get even more difficult with OU and Texas two schools that have recruiting classes rated higher than ours.
Michigan has had about our recruiting class level the past 6 years and look at them now. Two straight years in the playoffs. I’m not saying we will contend every single year but the notion that we will never be able to contend for a natty again is kind of absurd. Tcu hasn’t recruited anything and look at where they are. It’s more about evaluating talent than recruiting rankings. If you can develop you will get great success and I truly believe we have the coach that can develop.

Edit: also a high recruiting class doesn’t guarantee you will be good, look at Texas, constantly at the top of the recruiting rankings and they have been like us for a decade now. If we are in the top 10 in recruiting rankings we should have the players to compete with the very best

You guys have such a short term memory it’s insane. Georgia before this current stint we’re laughing stocks. Before the streak, Bama was dominated yearly. Miami once was on top of the world. The only thing that stays the same is that things change

With the 12 team playoff coming up, I would expect the Vols to be there on a regular basis. We recruited very well this year and should have a good product on the field the majority of the time.

To some extent but don't discount the effect of NIL money. Proof is in the current team rankings....4 and 7.
2023 Top Football Recruits
Oh NO DOUBT NIL $$ are HUGE when invested in the right players who fit our evolving culture. But TAMU proves that NIL offers to the highest ranked players might buy you a cool #1 Recruit Class Certificate to hang on the locker room wall but little else.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
Georgia and Bama are pretty much on a different level right now. Herring imo Georgia wanted. Gibson Georgia had a visit at the end if I remember correctly, I’m not going to argue over that one; I will say “ratings” are irrelevant Kirby is going to take who he feels is best there, whether it was Gibson or not I have no idea but I do feel he’s right there on the fence or Georgia wouldn’t have kicked the tires as much at the end of his recruitment.

If Herring and Gibson had ended up at Georgia you can bet their ratings would’ve been adjusted as well via the recruiting services.

Reactions: Grouse Stalker

I am glad you think the recruiting class is all that matters. Tennessee football was one ugly game against USCjr away from being in the playoff without question…and that was with the same recruiting classes not in the top 10 multiple years in a row. Yes enjoy the good/fun/unexpected years but don’t trash on the program like 8-4 is the expectation and if you expect/want more we are unrealistic fans. Not sounding much like a HopefulVol to me.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
Didn't someone semi-prominent tweet the other day that Tennessee was one of the schools that would lose a lot on signing day because of fake NIL deals or some such nonsense?

mid tier...you really dont have a clue of vol football history.we have been down but most programs have peaks and valleys.big phil beat bama 7 in a row and 11 out of 14..were they mid tier at that time.

VN Store

Back