Where is the blame on the OC?

Exfix

The defense was on the field entirely too long. The offense rarely took the deep shots they normally do. Golesh is gone but there was supposed to be "continuity." Instead it was a terrible showing by the offense and the defense paid the price. Milton is partially to blame but what about the OC and that play calling?

I don’t understand why we don’t take more shots downfield. His arm strength is the one advantage he gives us. Rather than call a swing pass on 3rd and 9, take a shot.

That last drive when it was already basically too late, Joe completed first down throws 3x in a row. If not for a blatant PI that wasn’t called we may have scored there. Also after the kicked ball incident, Florida knows what’s coming. You’ve lost the advantage. Change the play.

Idk who’s calling the plays if it’s Heup or Halzie but it’s troubling.

Maybe the defense should learn to tackle and not let UF go 6 of 7 on 3rd down in the first half at one point.

Plenty of blame to go around for that debacle but there has been a couple of extremely ugly defensive showings now on the road by the Vols in the last 6 games.

The defense was on the field entirely too long. The offense rarely took the deep shots they normally do. Golesh is gone but there was supposed to be "continuity." Instead it was a terrible showing by the offense and the defense paid the price. Milton is partially to blame but what about the OC and that play calling?
To a point, I'll agree that our offensive woes contributed to the defense, but you can't excuse away the pathetic tackling by blaming our offensive failures. That's a fundamental part of football. Something Hadden has never heard of or even imagined. We played like dog doo doo all around....except special teams. They actually didn't do so bad.

Whoever is doing the play calling on offense is definitely partially to blame. But after watching the first 2 Florida drives and Herbstreit explaining this is exactly what Tim Banks wants, to make them dink and dunk the whole field, I was thinking to myself NO.

I want an agressive defense that tries to create turnovers or insurmountable 3rd and long situations. All this bend and eventually break defense we got going on now does is prolong the bleeding.

Whoever is doing the play calling on offense is definitely partially to blame. But after watching the first 2 Florida drives and Herbstreit explaining this is exactly what Tim Banks wants, to make them dink and dunk the whole field, I was thinking to myself NO.

I want an agressive defense that tries to create turnovers or insurmountable 3rd and long situations. All this bend and eventually break defense we got going on now does is prolong the bleeding.
But Banks was described as an aggressive DC not a bend but don't break kind of guy. I've seen very little "aggression" from the defense so far.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
The defense was on the field for so long because they sucked ass and couldn’t get off the field. So sick of seeing this bs about it being the offense fault. They were getting drive on the first drive of the game by a pee wee playbook. I

Defenses needs to go back and work on tackling drills. This shoulder bumping makes me sick. I have a hard time believing Halzle is making all the calls, maybe to an extent. Milton has all the wow just not the “it”. Need Cooper back desperately. D-line? Got some dudes but those dudes are still young. As far as DBs, we need to throw some money or bring in a new DB that kids really want to be coached by. Looks like the same Martinez coaching that we saw the last go around. Special Teams was the bright side.

Reactions: LadyVolette
I don’t understand why we don’t take more shots downfield. His arm strength is the one advantage he gives us. Rather than call a swing pass on 3rd and 9, take a shot.

That last drive when it was already basically too late, Joe completed first down throws 3x in a row. If not for a blatant PI that wasn’t called we may have scored there. Also after the kicked ball incident, Florida knows what’s coming. You’ve lost the advantage. Change the play.

Idk who’s calling the plays if it’s Heup or Halzie but it’s troubling.
The coaches don’t trust Milton to takes shots down the field. Down by 16 with 4minutes left and only 1 timeout, we are running the ball up the middle. We ran the clock out at halftime instead of trying to push the ball up the field.

When the ball was kicked, we should have changed play. But issue was we only had 1 timeout. Game awareness was lacking and caused us to use 2 timeouts 1st seties coming out of the half.

But Banks was described as an aggressive DC not a bend but don't break kind of guy. I've seen very little "aggression" from the defense so far.

That first-half defense was buttery soft. Nothing aggressive about it.

The coaches don’t trust Milton to takes shots down the field. Down by 16 with 4minutes left and only 1 timeout, we are running the ball up the middle. We ran the clock out at halftime instead of trying to push the ball up the field.

When the ball was kicked, we should have changed play. But issue was we only had 1 timeout. Game awareness was lacking and caused us to use 2 timeouts 1st seties coming out of the half.
Do they trust the OL to hold up? How about the WRs to catch?

There were some really bad playcalls last night. Some that were downright awful.

But the entire team needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves who they want to be. The whole team needs to be more physical, especially up front. Both lines got whipped all night long.

Agree. There is little confidence in Joe. We are supposed to move at warp speed but Joe struggles to process the information. He waits too long then gets confused w the defensive schemes ( are they blitzing, etc).

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
I blame them. What now?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

Why don't they 'trust' Milton to throw downfield? I've read this several times and it makes no sense. Both our touchdowns involved long passes.

Maybe it's the receivers that aren't getting open? They haven't shown a whole lot in terms of catching a ball that hits them in the hands so far. Are they getting open? Why not? That ain't on Milton. Maybe he's running for his life because of a porous O line and doesn't have time to wait for the receivers to make a play. And where the hell were the slants last night? They are at least past the LOS.

Offensive line needs to learn how to pass block long enough to give Joe time, and Joe needs to learn how to be more consistent. It's the only reason I can think we abandoned the pass so much and stuck to so much ground game.

Reactions: Alumni_06
Alex Golesh

Seriously. Did y'all see how he had little ole South Florida give Bama all they wanted and more? Loosing this guy was a true punch to the gut.
All Bama “wanted” was a FG? 😏 Heupel’s ALWAYS been the architect of this offense. No quarrel with calling out the playcalling…but that’s Heupel.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
We have Martinez coaching the secondary. The same secondary that let us give up huge passing plays the entire time he was here with butch. Florida game Hail Mary? Martinez. Dobb nail boot? That miracle is amazing, but Wouldn’t have happened if Georgia didn’t hit essentially a Hail Mary. This secondary will rarely make a play on the ball and constantly get beat because the way he coaches them. They will time and time again let receivers find the soft part of the zone, get beat long, or get pump faked out of their shoes. They are literally just chasing the receivers around and oblivious to the ball most of the time.

I’m confused. This offense is CJH’s design — and we are here thinking he’s just reverted to remedial play calling and is now conservative? None of that makes any sense to me. The only real answer is we don’t have the players to execute those plays. Now, an argument can be made that they are not prepared or coached up, that’s fine, but I just can’t buy that the play calling is bad by some other choice. You can only call the plays the guys can execute.

Reactions: LWSVOL
By OC you mean JH?

Reactions: butchna
Last night was an abject failure of play calling and execution starting after the first drives of both teams. Our first drive is the best I’ve ever seen Joe Milton play football. The next Florida possession was a chance for us to put them in a tough spot and we got out coached, out physicalled and out efforted until the 3rd quarter. Hadden playing two hand touch on that long touchdown run is unacceptable. Us playing soft coverage versus a Florida team that was never going to stretch the field is unacceptable . We tried to get too cute with some formations on offense instead of just doing what we do well and run the football. From that point it was an avalanche of garbage in the first half. I thought we played with tremendous effort in the second half .

VN Store

Back