When Do We Reach The Point...

Cletus P Fulmer

where we stop over recruiting at certain positions and develop what we have for the long haul? Now I know Coach Jones is eons ahead of me in recruiting knowledge but how can you win when you have players leaving after a year or 2? Aren't you always young? Experience wins...Pinkel and Patterson have proven this. I mean this isn't Kentucky basketball with players being one and done...just seems we have to reach a point where we have a semblance of continuity...plus I am upset about Vic Wharton...this kid was everything we wanted in a Vol player yet it looks as if he isn't wanted. Sooner or later this is going to catch up with us.

Reactions: 1 person
where we stop over recruiting at certain positions and develop what we have for the long haul? Now I know Coach Jones is eons ahead of me in recruiting knowledge but how can you win when you have players leaving after a year or 2? Aren't you always young? Experience wins...Pinkel and Patterson have proven this. I mean this isn't Kentucky basketball with players being one and done...just seems we have to reach a point where we have a semblance of continuity...plus I am upset about Vic Wharton...this kid was everything we wanted in a Vol player yet it looks as if he isn't wanted. Sooner or later this is going to catch up with us.

so...wise one...you got a link to the 'he wasn't wanted' info? or...just a dig at the staff??

Reactions: 8 people
We are to that point and nothing to worry about just enjoy the wins that are coming. Starting next year more kids will be redshirted for future depth.

No one is forcing them to leave. They see the recruits coming in, and instead of wanting to bust their ass and get better and earn their spot - they just quit.

Reactions: 3 people

Sooooooo, CBJ should be like wellll we have a 3*, and I don't want him to leave so let's go get a two star.....you were a child left behind...

With so much over hype being pumped into these kids coming out of high school we all think they are better than they actually are.... you dont ever know who is going to pan out regardless of there stars.

Other than Helms, Scott, Hendrix and Sawyers leaving everybody else that has left has been an upperclassmen that's burried behind a Freshman.

UT should never stop trying to recruit over current players. It's their responsibility to win the job and hold on to it and it's the coaches job to get the best players on campus. Every player is being developed while here.

What you're describing is using seniority to decide positions which isn't a good idea

Reactions: 15 people
Not a dig...but anyone including him can see he isn't in their plans...

He surely was in their plans during the Bowl game...but that was due to injuries more than anything.

Vic is sitting in a position where he can be needed if we have injuries or he can get better at his position and move up the food chain.

When do we get to the point where ridiculous threads like this don't pop up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY?

Reactions: 5 people
Of course not...wasn't the point...my point is when do we start developing what we have to stay 3 or 4 years...experience wins.

Why do you assume Butch and company aren't developing their players? Because Wharton wants to leave Butch "failed" at developing him? Thread is all kinds of fail.

Reactions: 9 people
Sooooooo, CBJ should be like wellll we have a 3*, and I don't want him to leave so let's go get a two star.....you were a child left behind...

Pinkel, Patterson and Snyder win with those 3* players who stay 4 and 5 years...maybe you are the child that got locked in the closet?

Not a dig...but anyone including him can see he isn't in their plans...

What does the kid want, a Heisman campaign. He's true freshman and pretty average in size and athleticism it appears. Services rated him a 3* recruit. He saw the field toward the end of the season for a team that started deep with WR talent. TN is bringing in only 1 elite WR prospect this cycle. He should be counting his blessings and have a vision longer than 12 months. He very may well be afaik.

If he has character he needs to keep his commitment, keep working hard, and make himself valuable to the rotation. "If you stay you'll play". But, if he wants to jump to Carson Newman, UTC, MTSU or Vandy, then more power to him. It's not like we're losing a 5* player here.

We are losing a 5* recruiter. But his work is done there already.

Reactions: 2 people
USA Today says that any recruiting class loses 1/3 of its player in 3 years. Stop the panic.

It

dont know how to make the link say what it is but its about the fuzzy math on signing day. Talks about UT and the attrition.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back