What's the best Tennessee made breakfast sausage?

Tennessee Pride HOT is great.

There is only one syrup in the world and that is Karo syrup. I detest maple syrup.

I've always liked Swaggerty's. Unforunately I've lived most of my life in places that doesn't sell it.

Check if your local Sysco Foodservice has a "Cash & Carry" store. IIRC they are carrying Swaggerty's products. If you know someone who works for Sysco (known universally as "Psycho" in the Food Service biz) they might get you some via employee sales.

Check Sam's Club as well. I know it's their brand here in ETn. If your local store doesn't have it, see if they can whistle some up for you.

You can order online from Swaggerty's Order Online > Products but shipping charges are HIDEOUS. This is due to federal hazmat regs for the dry ice used to keep the product frozen on top of normal Next Day rates.

You're welcome.

You need to venture into NC and get you some Nantahala Brand Sausage. The "Hot" can be harder to find, but even the "Mild" is still way better than that mass production crap.

It's almost suppertime and I'm ready for breakfast again.

Anybody got a good recipe for making their own sausage they're willing to share?

Just get some pork shoulder and Legg's sausage seasoning. I picked up some at my local butcher for $2.99. I find pork that's on sale and put it through my Kitchen Aid grinder. Commercial breakfast sausage is over $4.00/lb. here and I can make my own for less than $2.00/lb.

As a bonus, I keep my Benton's bacon trimmings and grind them into the pork.

Reactions: StarRaider
I've always liked Swaggerty's. Unforunately I've lived most of my life in places that doesn't sell it.

They used to slaughter our steers, I still remember when they called saying they were only slaughtering pigs. The owner was crying telling us the bad news. I only buy their sausage because of that.

Reactions: 1 person
Up until recently I was in agreement with most on here that Swaggerty's is the best. However, I recently discovered Mayo's Hickory Smoked Uncooked Sausage and there is nothing else in even the same league. From what I've read, it used to be made in a small shop in Nashville.

From Welcome to Family Brands! (who has also aquired the Wampler's, Elm Hill and Charlie's brands): The Mayo brand was born on Charlotte Pike in Nashville, Tennessee back in 1932. Owned and operated by the Mayo family, they produced and sold quality smoked breakfast sausage in special cloth bags as well as dry cured bacon, each specially prepared the old fashioned way. Their products were sold and delivered to individual grocery stores by their own delivery trucks and the brand gained wide consumer appeal for their "old-fashioned" quality and flavor.

In the early 1980s, the Mayo family sold the brand and recipes to the Baltz Brothers Packing Company in Nashville, Tennessee. Under the new ownership, the brand continued to grow as sales developed through warehouse networks.

The Mayo Brand and recipes were acquired from Baltz Brothers in 1991. Since then, Family Brands has strived to continue the old-fashioned quality tradition established in the beginning by the Mayo family.

Y'all should definitely check it out. I found it at a Kroger's in Nashville.

0007234215672_500X500.jpg

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back