What we want in a coach (players edition)

Coach Fulmer said:

“As we look forward, we need a great coach, we need a great leader, we need a great example for our young people,” Fulmer said. “That’s how you do it here. I know it’s how you do it here, it’s probably how you do it and have success at most places.”

Such a shame he was kicked to the curb 10 years ago, leading to all this mess.

Reactions: 3 people
Coach Fulmer said:

“As we look forward, we need a great coach, we need a great leader, we need a great example for our young people,” Fulmer said. “That’s how you do it here. I know it’s how you do it here, it’s probably how you do it and have success at most places.”

His fault. Nobody elses

Reactions: 8 people
Coach Fulmer said:

Ironic.. it can be argued that Currie is attempting to fix a mess he helped create

Reactions: 2 people
Wouldn't it be the coolest thing in history if Currie couldn't find a suitable coach right off, so appointed CPF as a one or two year interim coach and he killed it. You talk about freaking karma.

He probably dreams of that at night. I'd love it.

Wouldn't it be the coolest thing in history if Currie couldn't find a suitable coach right off, so appointed CPF as a one or two year interim coach and he killed it. You talk about freaking karma.

NO

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Fulmer said:

He lost his Cutcliffe. Fulmer was a great handler but Cut was the programs greatness.

Reactions: 4 people

This mess started with Fulmer. Recruiting really started to slip in his last few years, '05 and '08 were losing seasons, and his record against good coaches in the conference (Meyer, Richt, Spurrier) was awful.

Phil enjoyed his best years at Tennessee when the SEC was a 2-man show (us and Florida). When other good coaches entered the conference and it became more competitive, he was complacent and the program slipped.

Just because we've been awful since Fulmer was fired doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired. It did become a full blown train wreck once Kiffin left, but the program fell into decline during the last few years of Fulmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer had his chance to right the ship with the Dave Clawson OC hire but he was too much like Butch and afraid to let go of the reigns therefore causing us to run a very watered down offense. Between that and the lacks on recruiting, we were headed for the cellar quickly.

I would hope so, but seriously doubt it. Just something in all the quotes I have heard from him over the past ten years says he hasn't owned up to the dumb stuff he overlooked that started the slide on his watch. His triumphant return would easily ruin what was left of his legacy.

And if Currie hires him, he is the one who takes the blame. Phil may be one of the biggest risks on the board. But what the Hell? If they don't hire him, you all will never shut up about it. Sure beats bringing in Kiffin or Petrino.

Joey Kent gave the perspective of a fan whose only focus is on winning on the field. The others gave the perspective of a player with the focus more on relationships between coach and player. Both are important - success will not happen without both.

VN Store

Back