What we may just have in CDT and CBJ

You guys kill me happy about a coach that coaches hard as he gets his butt kicked. .
.give me a break. No one feels sorry for him not having talent. Win some games and I will get excited. Was he coaching and getting the best out of the team when Alabama kicked our butts. Don't even grade this guy until he has a team.

Follow your own advice.

The way Tyndall coaches up his talent.
The way he works the refs, substitution patterns, use of timeouts.
He knows basketball.
First time I can remember that we've had two coaches at the helm in both sports at the same time that truly WANT to be here and are capable of winning at a high level.
Just my opinion, of course.

For real? Phillip Fulmer....Bruce Pearl....

Reactions: 1 person
I'm worried Tyndall will never be allowed to thrive with the way the ncaa takes years to get an investigation done. It's killing his recruiting momentum. That in turn is going to hurt this already weak roster that will probably be even weaker next year. Hopefully everyone else is willing to be as patient with him as I am because he is one hell of a X's and O's b-ball coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Nega vol here. Ummmm nope. Want happen. Until Coach Cal is out. UK will be just what we have seen. No top tier players like you seen last night in blue will ever wear the orange. Sorry but true.

Now someone prove me wrong. I've been a vol fan all my life. I'm still waiting to see that UK talent in Knoxville wearing the orange.
Ever heard of Bernard King or Ernie Grunfeld?

Reactions: 2 people
If CDT survives the NCAA stuff, I think he might be the right guy to challenge royalty.
Ray Mears never believed the big blue was entitled.
Entitled to get all the best players and all of the close calls in officiating and blue fan takeovers of opposing gyms and the sec tourney.
Billy Donovan did this but very little of gator nation cared that much. His work was very under appreciated.
But, imagine CDT getting that kind of talent with us.
The UK worship and fawning would stop.

Same story with CBJ?
Yes. He has no fear of the entitled Tide. He doesn't believe that they are supposed to run this conference.
He doesn't care that the SEC office is in Birmingham.

Times are changing.
We have the facilities, support, and now the coaches to become the top team in both sports.
Go Vols!

I'm not sure how you derived euphoria from last night's game, but DT's current recruiting class (for which he had an entire cycle to work) is ranked 76th; directly behind such hardwood luminaries DePaul, Wyoming, Dayton and Rice.

I think he has done a perfectly adequate job with the current team but he seems ill equipped to recruit at this level so "UK level" talent or anything approaching that is a pipe dream. Seems like a decent guy but this is what happen when a AD with a top 10 national revenue and a massive arena spends less on a basketball coach than Auburn or Arkansas. There is a reason we are drawing 60% of the crowd we had during BP's heyday.

The way Tyndall coaches up his talent.
The way he works the refs, substitution patterns, use of timeouts.
He knows basketball.
First time I can remember that we've had two coaches at the helm in both sports at the same time that truly WANT to be here and are capable of winning at a high level.
Just my opinion, of course.

Winning at what level?

Cbj has shown he can beat the bottom dwellers and South Carolina..

That's it.

Stop making it sound like he was almost in the title game.

I have higher hopes than in the recent past, but it's foolish to pretend cbj is anything more than a decent ball coach at this point.

And cdt struggles to win games vs. mediocre SEC teams. Let's pump the breaks on brother love until he shows us a little more.

Reactions: 3 people
Athlons just released an article that rated Jones/Tyndall at 13th in the SEC coaching combo ahead only of Vandy's combo of Incompetent/Arrogrant......

Now I think its too early to crown either of them as "Greats" but they both show a lot of promise taking over two separate models of the Titanic. Their 'topside" appears to me to be much better than several combinations in the SEC (remember you can take Coach Cal but you also got Lil Bro Stoops too, or Mullen gets you Ray, etc). Frankly for potential, I would take these two over Ole Miss, Miss State (gone as far as they can), Vandy, mizz, uga and even LSU (yes I know Miles "won" a NC but he's dropping fast and JJ is a probation waiting to happen).

If CDT survives the NCAA stuff, I think he might be the right guy to challenge royalty.
Ray Mears never believed the big blue was entitled.
Entitled to get all the best players and all of the close calls in officiating and blue fan takeovers of opposing gyms and the sec tourney.
Billy Donovan did this but very little of gator nation cared that much. His work was very under appreciated.
But, imagine CDT getting that kind of talent with us.
The UK worship and fawning would stop.

Same story with CBJ?
Yes. He has no fear of the entitled Tide. He doesn't believe that they are supposed to run this conference.
He doesn't care that the SEC office is in Birmingham.

Times are changing.
We have the facilities, support, and now the coaches to become the top team in both sports.
Go Vols!

Butch really dissed the bamers referring to them as "the red team". :lol: :clap:

I hope Donnie does not end up being our Don Devoe. I always thought Don was a great coach who was able to scheme and motivate not-so-elite teams to overachieve. He had some great players, but not enough. One Dale Ellis surrounded by role players does not make final fours often. It's important to be a floor coach / strategist / motivator.

But, winning in college at a high level requires equally good coaching and good recruiting. Obviously, last night that blue team had about as many horses as you'll ever see in a college game. I'm sure Calamari is a pretty decent floor coach / strategist after all these years. But, that's not the reason he's dominating college bball. He's loading up elite talent.

What makes me nervous about Donnie is the defensive scheme. It works and had KY Jelly a somewhat off-balance last night. But, what I wonder is if elite players will not shy away from it due to it's difference from the NBA game. Not, that HS kids are focused on defense. But, becoming a lottery pick requires scouts to know you can play D man to man.

Can an elite player showcase defensive skills enough to satisfy the NBA scouts or will it be a question mark. If other staffs (UK etc) can use this as a negative against us, does it scare away the top 50 players each year who have that "one and done" dream?

We have to land a certain amount of those kids in order to make it to the next level consistently. Thoughts?

Nega vol here. Ummmm nope. Want happen. Until Coach Cal is out. UK will be just what we have seen. No top tier players like you seen last night in blue will ever wear the orange. Sorry but true.

Now someone prove me wrong. I've been a vol fan all my life. I'm still waiting to see that UK talent in Knoxville wearing the orange.

I agree. The only way your going to see that much basketball talent in Knoxville is if Calapari was the Vols coach. Now football is a different story. Butch is bringing the talent to win championships.

I'm a bit tired of all this adoration of Butch Jones. He's done some good things, recruiting has gone well--but he's not accomplished anything yet. I'm not going to throw rose pedals at his feet until he starts winning big games. I think the fan base just assumes that will happen because our talent is getting better. Yes, it helps--but how many more threads are going to be started telling us to realize 'what we've got' in Jones. Good grief, give it a rest.

Do not even mention CDT in the same breathe as CBJ. Jones can recruit like a mad man where CDT can't seem to find a player. Just look at who we are recruiting right now in basketball. I am having a very hard time understanding the absolute love for the doughboy, he has accomplished nothing and has brought his stain to our school.

Do not even mention CDT in the same breathe as CBJ. Jones can recruit like a mad man where CDT can't seem to find a player. Just look at who we are recruiting right now in basketball. I am having a very hard time understanding the absolute love for the doughboy, he has accomplished nothing and has brought his stain to our school.
The point I made earlier proven right here...

This is absurd.

The same excuses you guys trot out for Jones not winning last year applies to Tyndall as much or more so given the state of the team that Martin left.

It could very well be argued Tyndall has done more with less than Jones.

I don't know how any of this will shake out in the long run.

The 1 thing I do know is, I'm proud of the way our bb Vols played against that NBA team wearing blue from kenSucky the other night.

Our kids played well and fought like hell despite the huge odds against them.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back