What should be our expectations?

I think it is fair to expect the Sweet 16 at this point, but as a season unfolds it is really easy to lose perspective. If anybody on here said they expected the Sweet 16 before the season started, they would have been laughed at. They've already had a great season and nothing can change that, although losing early in this tournament would leave an awful taste in everyone's mouth.

There wouldn't really be any excuse for losing to Wright St, and Miami is a decent ACC team that only has one really impressive victory all season (at UNC a few weeks ago). The rest of their wins are games you'd expect them to win, and all but two of their losses were to teams that made the tournament, so they are a solid squad but nothing exceptional. I imagine we will be favored if we play them.

Reactions: 1 person
FanSided
Team to watch
Arizona and Virginia are the big names in this region, but a team that might get overlooked in this region is Tennessee. Head coach Rick Barnes has done a terrific job turning this program around since he got there, and now they have a legitimate shot to make it to an Elite Eight.

Their RPI rank is only one spot behind Cincinnati, they’ve beaten Purdue and they beat Kentucky twice. Their rotation only goes seven players deep, but each and every one of them are committed on the defensive end.

There are moments when their offense goes dormant, but all it takes is a couple games of making shots, and they’ll be right there. They’re going to compete on the defensive end, it’s all about the offense for them.

Tennessee didn’t get a No. 3 seed by sheer luck. This team isn’t led by one singular “star”, but they get it done as a team. Look out for Tennessee not as a Cinderella team, but a squad that has a serious chance to make a run in this tournament.

Reactions: 1 person
I think if we reach the sweet 16 it's considered a success. Not for me or my office pool, where I have us cutting the nets down in San Antonio..

But REALISTICALLY.. a hard fought loss to Cincy in the sweet 16 shouldn't crush us morale wise.

FanSided
Team to watch
Arizona and Virginia are the big names in this region, but a team that might get overlooked in this region is Tennessee. Head coach Rick Barnes has done a terrific job turning this program around since he got there, and now they have a legitimate shot to make it to an Elite Eight.

Their RPI rank is only one spot behind Cincinnati, they’ve beaten Purdue and they beat Kentucky twice. Their rotation only goes seven players deep, but each and every one of them are committed on the defensive end.

There are moments when their offense goes dormant, but all it takes is a couple games of making shots, and they’ll be right there. They’re going to compete on the defensive end, it’s all about the offense for them.

Tennessee didn’t get a No. 3 seed by sheer luck. This team isn’t led by one singular “star”, but they get it done as a team. Look out for Tennessee not as a Cinderella team, but a squad that has a serious chance to make a run in this tournament.

Wrong! 12 deep.

Signed,
Thunder

Reactions: 2 people
I think if we reach the sweet 16 it's considered a success. Not for me or my office pool, where I have us cutting the nets down in San Antonio..

But REALISTICALLY.. a hard fought loss to Cincy in the sweet 16 shouldn't crush us morale wise.

Except there are fans who have an unrealistically low opinion of Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a very good team.

Except there are fans who have an unrealistically low opinion of Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a very good team.

I agree. Cincinnati isn’ta pushover, stats love them. I still think they are offensively challenged, but they are good at defense

"What should our expectations Be?" Just play hard and smart.

:twocents:

Correct in my view. As a fan, I want more wins, but I don't expect more wins. It's simple. Keep trying to improve and play hard and smart. That's what Barnes expects and so do I. It is not reasonable to define fan "expectations" by the setting of an artificial win/loss goal. The two don't measure the same thing. Playing hard and smart increases the chance of winning, but it doesn't guarantee winning.

This team has so far exceeded my expectations this season that it is shocking to me that anyone could question the results of this year regardless of the NCAAT outcome, provided the team holds true to its path of hard, smart effort. The Vols, for me, are playing with house "expectation" money and I'm both proud and satisfied, as is.

My opinion of the team won't change with the next loss unless the effort to improve disappears. I'll be sad about the next loss and I will clearly be happier the more they win, but my expectations of this team have already been exceeded. This is a truly great group of players.

Close, but I don't trust Cincy. UNC though...the record is ugly, but they are a balanced and very experienced team. Don't think Roy has done very well with them this season.

They had an up and down season but the highest mark in the NCAA was their 14 wins over Q1 opponents. Villanova, Virginia, and Kansas only had 11. Xavier only had 6.

So we lost in the 2nd round but by 1 point in last seconds. Thoughts? I still think we should've won at least. We lost focus.

I knew from the get go we didn't have a "play" and that actually disturbs me. Admiral looked lost throwing it in to Bone.

FanSided
Team to watch

Dang.

VN Store

Back