what is the purpose of raising taxes on soda's, etc...

You're dead wrong. A 20 oz mtn.dew...which is my breakfast every day bc I dont drink coffee, is 2 bucks after taxes...less than a dime in change. A 24 oz beer is about the same price, and I saw the other day that they make high alcohol 24oz beers now, 8%...so that's actually 4 bud lights worth of alcohol instead of 2...for 2 bucks. Cheap drunk...
This isn't something I'm going to waste time arguing over... but you could certainly buy a 6 pack of 16.9 ounce bottles of Mountain Dew at Wal-Mart (if that is the drink of your choice) for slightly under $3... I'm sorry to those of you who love to argue but soda is not more expensive than beer.

I do not believe that even with this tax, that a soft drink beverage is more expensive to purchase than a beer of an equal sized quantity. Not in Philly, not anywhere.
Go to Italy. We had a vending machine in our hotel with wine. A bottle of wine was 4 euro, a half liter coke was 3. Wine was cheaper than coconut water too. So many antioxidants.

This isn't something I'm going to waste time arguing over... but you could certainly buy a 6 pack of 16.9 ounce bottles of Mountain Dew at Wal-Mart (if that is the drink of your choice) for slightly under $3... I'm sorry to those of you who love to argue but soda is not more expensive than beer.
Maybe... maybe not. I think you miss the point. What the high taxes does is now bring soda prices and cheap beer prices closer together. That can't be disputed. No different than high cigarette taxes but those prices closer to reefer prices. These taxes are (or soon will) put some products in direct competition with other less desirable products.

Maybe... maybe not. I think you miss the point. What the high taxes does is now bring soda prices and cheap beer prices closer together. That can't be disputed. No different than high cigarette taxes but those prices closer to reefer prices. These taxes are (or soon will) put some products in direct competition with other less desirable products.
Cola products and alcoholic beverages compete with themselves; not each other.

Cola products and alcoholic beverages compete with themselves; not each other.

Personally, soda and cheap beer are often mutual substitues for me. If I'm eating at a restsurant, cheap beer does nothing to give me a buzz, so I'll spend the $2 on coke zero as opposed to $4 on the Coors Light or whatever, but if the price is the same, i'd probably go beer. At home on an empty stomach, they are not good substitutes. Beer me.

But i think you are correct that typically they don't compete that much

That is something to think about. This has been a great year for Philly sports and that is a sports town. Not just the Eagles but Nova won the NCAA, the Sixers made the playoffs and the Phillies are in first place. I guarantee business at the city sports bars is way up.
Slow your roll on that Phillies are in first place nonsense.

Reactions: T-TownVol
Personally, soda and cheap beer are often mutual substitues for me. If I'm eating at a restsurant, cheap beer does nothing to give me a buzz, so I'll spend the $2 on coke zero as opposed to $4 on the Coors Light or whatever, but if the price is the same, i'd probably go beer. At home on an empty stomach, they are not good substitutes. Beer me.

But i think you are correct that typically they don't compete that much

The key word being "typically". In an unusual circumstance, however, that could change. That is what he fails to comprehend.

Go to Italy. We had a vending machine in our hotel with wine. A bottle of wine was 4 euro, a half liter coke was 3. Wine was cheaper than coconut water too. So many antioxidants.
you over paid for that wine. 1 euro is what I usually paid. cheaper than the water.
Germany and Austria were the same but with beer.

VN Store

Back