what is the purpose of raising taxes on soda's, etc...

I'm pro soda tax only when levied on those who call it "pop".
I grew up in the south. Everything was a Coke. Even if it was a Orange Crush, it was a Coke.

"You want a cold drink?"
"Yeah, gimme a Coke"
"What kind of Coke ya want"?

Reactions: 5 people
It's not right but this has been a pursuit of mine for a while. My "labor of love" up here is trying to find candidates that will work with farmers and co-ops to bring the price of "healthy" foods down so that fast food restaurants no longer serve as a primary source of "nutrition" for low-income families. I was middle-class until My parents split and my mom and stepdad struggled. There was a lot of dollar menu in my life and I paid for it dearly wth my health as a teenager. That changed once my stepdads business took off, but I can't even go near these places anymore and wish they were consigned to oblivion.

Reactions: 2 people
Taxes should be fees for costs whenever possible. For example, if the government is spending a lot of funds on healthcare of individuals with problems related to specific behaviors, then whenever possible the costs should be recovered by taxing (or putting a fee on) the behavior. Tax alcohol, cigarettes, sugary drinks/food, etc. to cover as much of the costs incurred by the government for dealing with the related care.

This should apply to as many things as possible. If you hunt, you should pay fees to cover direct government costs. If you drive... same thing... gas taxes, vehicle registration, even tax tires.

Unfortunately some of the biggest costs incurred by governments are law enforcement, defense, and education... which are difficult to recoup directly.

Defense kind of supports having a somewhat progressive income tax. The more stuff that you own, the more that you should pay to keep foreign, bad guys from coming and taking your stuff.

Law enforcement is difficult to tax/impose direct fees on, as those responsible for running up a lot of the costs will never be in a position to contribute to recover the costs.

Early education is one cost that society can't really charge in proportion to the consumers of the service. Young families with children typically don't have the resources that those without children in schools have (childless people/older people). BUT... higher education results in somewhat direct benefits for employers and employees. Higher education costs beyond direct fees (tuition) have to come from income taxes in order to be the fairest way to match the costs to the benefits.

Unfortunately many government empires are more so in the business of supporting government employees and politicians rather than providing benefits to the citizens paying the taxes. There don't need to be additional taxes on soft drinks if the proceeds just get dumped into the big ole government pot to make it grow larger.

It's not right but this has been a pursuit of mine for a while. My "labor of love" up here is trying to find candidates that will work with farmers and co-ops to bring the price of "healthy" foods down so that fast food restaurants no longer serve as a primary source of "nutrition" for low-income families. I was middle-class until My parents split and my mom and stepdad struggled. There was a lot of dollar menu in my life and I paid for it dearly wth my health as a teenager. That changed once my stepdads business took off, but I can't even go near these places anymore and wish they were consigned to oblivion.

The answer is that your mom should have stayed at home to be the homemaker and your father or stepfather should have been the ones bringing home the bacon.

Its worked for 8,000 years but in the last 2 generations, we seem to think that it just doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: 1 person

You are fighting against the wrong things.... it's not sodas or fast food that is hurting the health of this generation....it's all of our convienence items that are hurting the kids health......video games, cell phones, battery operated riding toys or anything else that makes our kids inactive... my kids eat a lot of fast food and drink their share of sodas but are extremely healthy bc they are very active. Also at most fast food places, you can eat a healthy option for a little more than a dollar but you didn't choose that option... it is what freedom is about.

The answer is that your mom should have stayed at home to be the homemaker and your father or stepfather should have been the ones bringing home the bacon.

Its worked for 8,000 years but in the last 2 generations, we seem to think that it just doesn't work anymore.

That's actually the right idea. The breakdown of the traditional family has done tremendous damage.

Reactions: 2 people
You are fighting against the wrong things.... it's not sodas or fast food that is hurting the health of this generation....it's all of our convienence items that are hurting the kids health......video games, cell phones, battery operated riding toys or anything else that makes our kids inactive... my kids eat a lot of fast food and drink their share of sodas but are extremely healthy bc they are very active. Also at most fast food places, you can eat a healthy option for a little more than a dollar but you didn't choose that option... it is what freedom is about.

Right I agree, but those things can't be changed. Freedom, like you said. Helping farmer's economic situations in exchange for driving down prices on items they sell domestically can.

What does that have to raising taxes on soda?

we have been over this time and again. It is cheaper to live off the grocery store than your local drive thru.

They'll do that before they make it illegal to take a dump on them.
I had a NYC layover a few years ago. We landed at EWR (Newark) and the hotel was in midtown Manhattan. So the van picked up the whole crew, pilots and flight attendants and we are on our way. One of the FAs had never been to the city and was so excited. She was looking at everything. Then we come to the stoplight and this guy right beside the van whips it out and starts whizzing a "tree" on the sidewalk. She was horrified. I laughed and told her "Welcome to New York".

The only city I hate more than NY is Boston. I want both the Red Sox and Yankees to win 100 games and then lose in the first round.

Philadelphians Alcohol Intake Has Soared Since The City's Soda Tax Was Imposed

But what drives Philadelphians to drink so much alcohol?
The short answer is that outside of prohibition, Philadelphians have always consumed large quantities of alcohol. And as many Philadelphians might point out, prohibition wasn't much of an obstacle for the city's dedicated alcohol consumers.

When it comes to alcohol consumption then, the city of Philadelphia is starting out with a strong base. So what might prompt already heavy-drinking Philadelphians to boost their alcohol consumption to even higher levels?

Believe it or not, the city's controversial tax on soft drinks would appear to be behind the city's recent surge in alcohol sales. Last August, Scott Drenkard and Courtney Shupert of the nonpartisan Tax Foundation found that Philadelphia's "high tax rate on nonalcoholic beverages makes them more expensive than beer in some cases", which they believed was "likely to drive consumers to more alcoholic beverage consumption".

I do not believe that even with this tax, that a soft drink beverage is more expensive to purchase than a beer of an equal sized quantity. Not in Philly, not anywhere.

I wonder if they took Super Bowl Sunday into account?

I wonder if they took Super Bowl Sunday into account?
That is something to think about. This has been a great year for Philly sports and that is a sports town. Not just the Eagles but Nova won the NCAA, the Sixers made the playoffs and the Phillies are in first place. I guarantee business at the city sports bars is way up.

That is something to think about. This has been a great year for Philly sports and that is a sports town. Not just the Eagles but Nova won the NCAA, the Sixers made the playoffs and the Phillies are in first place. I guarantee business at the city sports bars is way up.

Actually, no.

4D8E3CD3-9212-448E-BDB2-5069E29EEBED.jpeg

Reactions: T-TownVol
You're dead wrong. A 20 oz mtn.dew...which is my breakfast every day bc I dont drink coffee, is 2 bucks after taxes...less than a dime in change. A 24 oz beer is about the same price, and I saw the other day that they make high alcohol 24oz beers now, 8%...so that's actually 4 bud lights worth of alcohol instead of 2...for 2 bucks. Cheap drunk...

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

VN Store

Back