what is the measure of successful enough to make you happy?

First, I agree with the sentiment that you should give Pruitt a solid chance to be successful. Same in my mind with Mullen.

But what does that mean, "to be successful"? Are thrre objective criteria, ie he must have 10 wins/season by year three? He must win the division by year three and the conference by year five? He just has to beat Alabama and Florida? Make the playoffs?

I'd say for UF fans, the measures are 1) a top 10 offense within three years; 2) win the conference and make the playoffs by year four.

Not sure how realistic that is, but there you go.

First, I will give Mr. Pruitt a chance and he has my support from day 1. He really has a program that's just about down and out. Florida is a good job and so is TN. However, I believe Florida places a lot of pressure on who their coach is. Ask Urban Meyers. The pressure they placed on him affected his health and he had to walk away from it. For Mr. Pruitt, it comes down to
Strategies and Goals. Win! Should be his goal and how he does that will become his strategy. The staff, OC, and DC will be expertly important. If TN can get their team healthy by next season and they have a great S&C coach they will be much better than people think. In the end, it all comes down to goals and strategies.

Reactions: 1 person
realistically?

1) Always win Sept
2) Always win Sept
3) Always win Sept
4) Enjoying a victory cigar after Bama game !
5) Back to beating Kentucky/Candy year in and year out !

for starters!

To be successful:

1. Get our defense turned around and back into the top 50 as a minimum next year. Teams need to stop scoring at will on our defense. How many times did UT force a 3 and out situation this year? It won't be easy, but continued improvement year to year (he has three, clock's ticking)

2. Get the offense back to producing. QB and receiver communication and timing. OL creating holes for the RB to get through. And for Pete's sake, stop running it up the middle

3. Back into the top 25 by year 2 at least.

4. Beat one of: Florida, Georgia, USCe his first year. Go back to beating Vandy and UK like a drum. Reestablish dominance in Tennessee.

Lofty goals, tick-tock.

realistically?

1) Always win Sept
2) Always win Sept
3) Always win Sept
4) Enjoying a victory cigar after Bama game !
5) Back to beating Kentucky/Candy year in and year out !
for starters!
If we walk out of next September 5-0, it will be considered the greatest coaching feat in sports history.

Year one: 8-4.

Beat ETSU
Beat UTEP
Beat Charlotte
Beat Vandy
Beat Kentucky
Beat Mizzou
Beat USCe
Beat Florida

Lose Bama
Lose Auburn
Lose Georgia
Lose WVA

Year two: 9-3

Year three 10-2

Year four: 11-2 SEC CHAMPS

We have the talent today to compete in the SEC East and I expect that. In terms of talent there’s not much to rebuild.

For some if he won the national championship his first year they would bi!ch and say he didn't look good doing it. They must live pretty miserable lives.

For some if he won the national championship his first year they would bi!ch and say he didn't look good doing it. They must live pretty miserable lives.

Don't expect a NC. But do expect a decent season given the talent on the roster.

I want to see some brass nut play calling for a change. I want to see our head coach running up and down the sidelines ringing bells with a hammer.

If we walk out of next September 5-0, it will be considered the greatest coaching feat in sports history.

Seriously? I expect to be no worse than 3-2 and believe 4-1 is attainable.

- West Virginia: They were 7-5. Lost some badly and some not so badly.
- Florida: Both teams have talent, better coach wins. I'm assuming you think that is Mullen.
- Georgia: They will be different next year. Lots of seniors gone. Expect them to be young. Game may be closer than folks think.

The other two - we lose those and we are looking at 0-12 and big fail.

How about not losing to UK, Vandy, or Missouri?

I remember when those games were automatic Ws.

Measure of Success:

Year 1: 8+ Wins
Beat Vandy and UK

Year 2: 9+ Wins (no less than year 1)
Beat Vandy and UK
Beat at least one of the big 3 (UGA, UF, Bama)

Year 3: SEC Title Contention
Beat Vandy and UK
Beat at least 2 of the big 3 (UGA, UF, Bama)
Win the East

Year 4: National Title Contention
Beat Vandy and UK
Beat UGA, UF, and Bama
Win the East
Win the SEC
Contend for the National Title

Repeat year 3 and 4's expectations with a win in either every 3-5 years. Play hard. Play clean. Make the state proud. NEVER give up and always expect to win.

You would have fired Dabo?

Statistics, hard to argue with them. Year 3 without a doubt, if you can't get it done by then, the only way ur winning Championships is by luck and that ain't worth millions. Cut tail and run.

I wouldn't have fired Mark Richt at Georgia.

But it looks like they also made a decent decision

Here is the 2018 schedule:

Sept. 1 vs. West Virginia (Charlotte, N.C.) (winnable)
Sept. 8 ETSU (Lose this and we hired the wrong coach)
Sept. 15 UTEP (Lose this and we hired the wrong coach)
Sept. 22 Florida (winnable)
Sept. 29 at Georgia
Oct. 13 at Auburn
Oct. 20 Alabama
Oct. 27 at South Carolina (winnable)
Nov. 3 Charlotte (Lose this and we hired the wrong coach)
Nov. 10 Kentucky (Lose this and we hired the wrong coach)
Nov. 17 Missouri (winnable)
Nov. 24 at Vanderbilt (Lose this and we hired the wrong coach)

Gonna be tough to beat Hometown boy Grier in Charlotte, A ight?

Agree with rest of the assessment, A ight?

6-6 and Shreveport or Birmingham win, A ight!

Good post

9 wins year 1 should be possible. Not sure why all of you are saying year 2 or 3.

Now if half the team transfers ... yes. But if most of the team stays and offense / defense is geared towards the strength of the players there is no reason why the talent on this team can't produce wins.

That's not even close to being fair? Have you seen the OL?

Dont be disappointed if that doesnt happen. Hes bringing in great recruiters but UT is a disaster right now. Gotta give him some time.

I would say towards the end of this initial contract we can see what we have. Expectations in year 1 or 2 is unfair.

VN Store

Back