What game would you pick

This year for my birthday my wife told me to pick which game I wanted to see in Knoxville and we would make a weekend trip. There are three that I'm really interested in seeing....Oklahoma, Arkansas and Georgia.
If you could only pick one which one would you pick and why? I am really leaning toward Oklahoma.

All of them. Duh.

I'd pick the OU game. The atmosphere is going to be electric. Home opener against a big name opponent. The eyes of the nation will be on Knoxville.

Gotta be the OU game. Pretty much guaranteed to be 1-0 going into that one while there is a chance we're 2-3 going into the UGA game. The atmosphere for UGA if we have a rocky start will suck. But then again, that is our best chance for Gameday to be on campus if we're both undefeated

No Bout a Doubt It - BGSU all the friggin way. I can see this explosive new offense, watch the D crush their O and after the game, we are STILL UNDEFEATED! Happy Birthday to ME!

Reactions: 1 person
I'd pick OU for all the reasons people have already stated. As a conference game, I recognize that uga is more important. While the uga game normally would be more important to me, this is Oklahoma and, like another poster, I've been waiting to beat them since Orange Bowl 1968. I think the atmosphere of this game is likely to be one of the tops of all-time. There will be many people who would not watch Vols/uga but who will watch Vols/OU. Scalpers ought to have a field day. Up until Cal 2006, my favorite all-time OOC game was Penn State 1972 (first Vol night game and enjoyed beating them the second time more the first). Since the Vols and Vol fans are so hungry, a victory over OU at Neyland should be a game for the ages.

This year for my birthday my wife told me to pick which game I wanted to see in Knoxville and we would make a weekend trip. There are three that I'm really interested in seeing....Oklahoma, Arkansas and Georgia.
If you could only pick one which one would you pick and why? I am really leaning toward Oklahoma.

Gotta be Jawja. I live in Atlanta but grew up in Ktown with a burning hate for the Dogs. I will be at the game October 10th (my bday is the 9th) to see the Vols finally beat the "Obama" out of the Dogs. Plus that will put us in the SEC East driver's seat.

Last edited:
Oklahoma. Trying to think of a reason that hasn't already been stated. I'm old - for me, as a little kid, I remember the disappointment of Karl Kremser missing a game winning field goal in the '68 orange bowl.

For all you kiddies out there, it used to be very special to make it to a bowl. You could count them the number on your hands.

OU was beating the crap out of UT and UT made a comeback with a couple of interceptions. Karl Kremser shanked a 43 yarder with little time left. Lined up right down the middle. Soccer style (that used to be a big deal too, not many - now they all are).

Revenge. Plus what everyone else has said. OOC opponents bring a fan base that doesn't have a clue what they are stepping into. Someone mentioned CAL in '06. Perfect example.

Kickoff time is perfect - Assuming it's a sunny day, still early enough so that the temps will be upper 80s - low 90s during the day and drop off into the 70s around kick. Fans will be on fire for the home opener. Probably a checkerboard in the stadium (thank you OU, we borrowed that from you). It'll be the first time the team doing the Maxim's will be piped up on the jumbotron - a little history there (I was there the first time they ran through the T, so don't mess with me!). Also, teams are close in talent. Should go down to the wire. It'll set the tone for the Florida game.

Or you could come watch Mark Richt later.

I'm right there with you. I remember that game as well.

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Who do you hate more?

If not sure I'd say UGA, but Oklahoma game feels kinda like Cal 2006 for some reason. Should be really hyped up.

Based on crowd only

1a) UGA
1b) Oklahoma
3) Arky

Of all the games at Neyland in the last 10 years or so, the one i wish i could have been there for the most is 09 against Georgia. The team and fans jumping and screaming at the end of the 3rd quarter just looked special.

Was there for it and SC on 09 and SC was almost even better with the team coming out in black and everything

OU for sure, and simply because you'll probably never get the chance to ever see them play at Neyland again. You can see UGA play here every other year, and see Arkansas play here every so often too.

On top of all of that, I think the OU game is our best chance at a win in Neyland versus a big named team this year that's not named South Carolina. FWIW though, I believe we have better than a 50% chance of beating Georgia and Arkansas at home this year.

Last edited:
Oklahoma. Trying to think of a reason that hasn't already been stated. I'm old - for me, as a little kid, I remember the disappointment of Karl Kremser missing a game winning field goal in the '68 orange bowl.

For all you kiddies out there, it used to be very special to make it to a bowl. You could count them the number on your hands.

OU was beating the crap out of UT and UT made a comeback with a couple of interceptions. Karl Kremser shanked a 43 yarder with little time left. Lined up right down the middle. Soccer style (that used to be a big deal too, not many - now they all are).

Revenge. Plus what everyone else has said. OOC opponents bring a fan base that doesn't have a clue what they are stepping into. Someone mentioned CAL in '06. Perfect example.

Kickoff time is perfect - Assuming it's a sunny day, still early enough so that the temps will be upper 80s - low 90s during the day and drop off into the 70s around kick. Fans will be on fire for the home opener. Probably a checkerboard in the stadium (thank you OU, we borrowed that from you). It'll be the first time the team doing the Maxim's will be piped up on the jumbotron - a little history there (I was there the first time they ran through the T, so don't mess with me!). Also, teams are close in talent. Should go down to the wire. It'll set the tone for the Florida game.

Or you could come watch Mark Richt later.

Man, I remember that Orange Bowl to this day. Watched it lying on my aunt's living room floor in Locust Grove, OK. Bob Johnson and Granville Liggins going at it. Bob Warmack, OUr QB, always threw these little popcorn passes that fluttered through the air. UT intercepted him 3 times, one a pick six. UT scored all their points in the second half. I couldn't watch that last FG attempt. My uncle had to tell me he missed it...

Man, I remember that Orange Bowl to this day. Watched it lying on my aunt's living room floor in Locust Grove, OK. Bob Johnson and Granville Liggins going at it. Bob Warmack, OUr QB, always threw these little popcorn passes that fluttered through the air. UT intercepted him 3 times, one a pick six. UT scored all their points in the second half. I couldn't watch that last FG attempt. My uncle had to tell me he missed it...

https://youtu.be/1b-H_CY3VjY Whole game here, over 3 hours..
Fast forward to 2:58:00

P.S. I went back and watched the whole game. We pretty much stunk it up in the first half. That ending could have been epic. Dammit Karl!!!

Also - All this Nike Talk. Would love to see a "throwback" game with those jerseys - the little white cuffs just above the elbow. Always thought that was classy.

OU vs Tenn. Might be the last time we play them in our lifetime. Last year the game wasn't as hyped as it should've been (because we were in a down year) but this year I think they'll give it the hype it deserves. Going to be a great game and could really set the pulse for the whole season;

Of all the games at Neyland in the last 10 years or so, the one i wish i could have been there for the most is 09 against Georgia. The team and fans jumping and screaming at the end of the 3rd quarter just looked special.

I was there, on the 50 and 15 rows from the field. It was electric to say the least! :rock:

UGA because we are gonna whip dat azz in Neyland this year.

Oklahoma is a very good choice..

A) Revenge factor

B) To see the start of our rise this season

C) The stadium will be packed and rockin!!

D) It is played before the cold weather starts to hit

E) First game on your list so you do not have to wait so long

That is 5 darn good reasons, you should not need more :rock:

Georgia and Arkansas will be huge weekends and are two of the most crucial games of the season, and they are deeper into the fall so the intensity will be a little more amp'd up in the midst of the toughest portion of conference play. However, the OU game is going to be the first mountain team 119 has to climb, and with a potential huge win at the beginning of the year, the experience of being at the game that jump starts the new era of Big Orange dominance would be unforgettable.

I'd vote Oklahoma too. Like said, might be the last game with them for a very long time.

Gotta be the OU game. Pretty much guaranteed to be 1-0 going into that one while there is a chance we're 2-3 going into the UGA game. The atmosphere for UGA if we have a rocky start will suck. But then again, that is our best chance for Gameday to be on campus if we're both undefeated

We wont be 2 and 3 going in to the Georgia game.:thud:

Tell her YOU LOVE HER so you can go to ALL THREE, but...... if I had to choose, I say the OU game, I think this will be the one they Checkerboard (yes yes just my opinion), but that would be Awesome!

Enjoy, Go Vols!

VN Store

Back