What Coach Would You Prefer

I agree with everything here. From the Bama game to the Scar game to fixing J Crompton, IMO, Kiffin did the best on the field coaching job between him, Dooley and Butch last year. And it's not close. Hope Butch erases that fact very quickly.

Tennessee had about equal to better talent than UGA and USC in 2009.

All three teams were pretty mediocre that year (historically speaking).

Credit Kiffin for turning Crompton into a good quarterback from the Georgia game onward, but I still think Butch's win over the eventual 4th-ranked Gamecocks is the most impressive of any UT coach since Fulmer blasted Georgia in Athens in 2006.

Reactions: 2 people
tennessee had about equal to better talent than uga and usc in 2009.

All three teams were pretty mediocre that year (historically speaking).

Credit kiffin for turning crompton into a good quarterback from the georgia game onward, but i still think butch's win over the eventual 4th-ranked gamecocks is the most impressive of any ut coach since fulmer blasted georgia in athens in 2006.

also had ga beat last year...

Reactions: 1 person
I prefer coaches who develop talent and out-coach their opponents. This tends to result in a lot of WINS which is why the coach is being paid in the first place.

I agree with everything here. From the Bama game to the Scar game to fixing J Crompton, IMO, Kiffin did the best on the field coaching job between him, Dooley and Butch last year. And it's not close. Hope Butch erases that fact very quickly.

Agree 100%. Butch showed great on the field coaching during UGA/USCe games. After those 2 games...??
Hope we see more of that aggressive type of play calling and coaching. We will see.

Agree 100%. Butch showed great on the field coaching during UGA/USCe games. After those 2 games...??
Hope we see more of that aggressive type of play calling and coaching. We will see.

I love me some Lyle "Butch" Jones. But, IMHO, we looked like a very well coached team in exactly 2 games last year, poor talent notwithstanding. I'm hoping last year was the exception and not the rule.

I love me some Lyle "Butch" Jones. But, IMHO, we looked like a very well coached team in exactly 2 games last year, poor talent notwithstanding. I'm hoping last year was the exception and not the rule.

Even if we would have lost by 14 to UGA USCe.....I would still have been impressed by our coaching in those 2 games. I got fired up seeing smash mouth UT football...an aggressiveness not seen in a great while.....I could see it, and I'm barely average in seeing x's and o's during a game translated to play calling. Like yourself, hope to see more than 2 games coached like that this season. Go Vols brother!

no thanks.way to conservitive of a coach for me.fulmer was way better than johnny.and do not say fulmer cost him his job either.we all know johnny did it to himself when he should have took all of 92 off for health issues.

oh my, sigh............. et tu oldsmokey?

LONG (but needed to be said)

Being a coach myself (albeit a lower level than CBJ), I've always appreciated how coaches manage the organization of a football program. Not to diminish the value of Xs & Os, but I think what separates the elite coaches is their ability to maximize the day to day performance of those around them (both on the field and in the front office/AD). In fact, that is the exact formula I use to determine my NFL allegiance. My collegiate allegiance is, was, & will always be to the Vols. but I digress. More so than any coach I've been exposed to, CBJ does bring the best out of the people around him. Even more impressively, he does it in a positive manner. Anyone can be an a**hole like Saban and intimidate ppl into working hard for fear of his wrath. Lastly, CBJ seems to put legitimate and sincere effort into finding new and better ways to remind ppl of their importance in a larger group dynamic. Anyone who leads in this manner, given enough time, is on the road to success, and anyone with an opportunity to do so, should follow him there.

Reactions: 4 people
And to answer the OP's original question, I prefer a coach like Coach Jones. Who attacks the day and prepares for success.

Reactions: 3 people
I am going to exclude Butch Jones ok. For me it would either be Tom Osbourne or Nick Saban. Two of the greatest college football coaches of all time.

CBJ has to have one of, if not the hardest coaching jobs in the country. Throughout the beginnings of rebuilding and taking on a monumental mess...he has been consistent in giving his all for Tennessee. He has the mindset and determination to get us back. With more talent and maybe/maybe not coordinator changes...Watch out SEC....and watch the F out Saban.

grudentrophy.jpg

Cropped out Kiffin?

Even if we would have lost by 14 to UGA USCe.....I would still have been impressed by our coaching in those 2 games. I got fired up seeing smash mouth UT football...an aggressiveness not seen in a great while.....I could see it, and I'm barely average in seeing x's and o's during a game translated to play calling. Like yourself, hope to see more than 2 games coached like that this season. Go Vols brother!

Agree, and I think we will.

Kiffen out coached himself in the BAMA game. On our last drive, we were eating up yardage play after play, and then he burns time off the clock to set up the field goal. Field goal is blocked, and we lose.

Not to mention that Saban's playcalling was extremely suspect in that game. Bama's running game went up and down the field the entire game, then every time Bama got inside the redzone Saban allowed his OC to go exclusively to the passing game, which was ineffective, forcing him to settle for FGs each time. All Bama had to do was keep the ball on the ground and it is doubtful UT would have even been n the game at teh end.

The problem with that assessment is that UT had no business being in that game. It was Saban's most dominant team while at Bama. They went 14-0. Lowly UT gave them their best challenge of the year... at Bama. Talent wise, the mismatch was on par with the '13 teams.

I don't like Kiffin and he has obviously had notable failures since leaving UT... but he and his staff competed well at UT with a pretty spotty roster.

Have you over looked Saban out coaching himself in that game as well. Remember the 3 forced passes to J.Jones on the goal line which resulted in a FG?

While they did go undefeated, that was not Sabans most talented team. The bulk of those players returned the next year and they lost 3 games.

Kiffen out coached himself in the BAMA game. On our last drive, we were eating up yardage play after play, and then he burns time off the clock to set up the field goal. Field goal is blocked, and we lose.

Duck Terrance Cody. Kiffin was an idiot. Dooley was double the idiot. We had a win vs. LSU and North Carolina taken back because of too many men on the field TWICE. Ripped my heart out!!!!!

Keep CBJ. I don't think any of that will ever happen under his watch. Got a really good win against South Carolina, and now we need to up the bar again. Lets go for Florida and Bama.

:pirate:

We had a win vs. LSU and North Carolina taken back because of too many men on the field TWICE. Ripped my heart out!!!!!

While that is technically true, I don't really think you can blame Dooley for UNC having too many men on the field.

Last edited:
For the past year I have been more impressed with CBJ as each day passes. I think we have a coach that is getting better each & every day at what he does as a head coach. I'm not a big fan of a coach that sits back & coaches his team in a reclining way. Yes there are coaches that do a phenomenal job coaching that way. However, I am a huge fan of a coach that knows what he is doing & pushes his players everyday the right way to get 100% out of them on a daily basis. No matter what coach Tennessee ever hires I will support him or her 100% because I am a loyal Vol Fan & always will be. This is just the type of coach I prefer. Everybody has the right to there own opinion & I am curious to hear what my fellow VolNation family thinks?
I don't think ANY Vol HC deserves a very long leash. I don't think UT can afford it. Some point to stability but stable mediocrity or worse aren't going to help a thing. If that was the goal then they should have just kept Dooley and accepted 5 and 6 win seasons.

That said, I am VERY satisfied at this moment in time seeing how things turn out with Jones. Yes, last season is still in the back of my mind to create doubt. But he has recruited some good looking players. It sounds like his off season development program has been disciplined and effective. If my impression of his plan/philosophy of coaching is correct then he may well become my favorite coach. I played for a coach in HS who would run the base set of plays over and over and over. We had to perfect one level before going on to the next. Execution was everything. One level of offensive complexity built on the last one but only after it was perfected.

That is what Jones seems to be doing. IOW's, you don't just customize a playbook to what the players happen to do well as they did in Fulmer's time. You truly "install" your base O and require the players to execute it... then the next level then the next.

If you don't get past the basic elements though then you aren't going to trick anyone. That could be an explanation for last fall. I have said and truly believe that a coach like Fulmer who "threw it all at them and went with what stuck" would have handled the team differently last year AND produced more wins. But if I am right about what Jones is doing then UT could see a level of consistent excellence similar to what Oregon has produced over the last few years... but with SEC level recruiting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back