What chance does CRB really have

If he doesn't sign a PG immediately he's gonna be crucified in VN.

No he won't, at least not by sensible, rational fans.

The 2015 class is a wash. Barnes will get who he gets in the short term, and focus on the long term. If there is a PG worth taking, and we can get him, then fine. If not, let Phillips, Punter, Bonds all take a shot at it.

He'll be crucified if he takes a Travon Landry, Wes Washpun, Daniel West type PG out of panic, and is married to a marginal player for possibly 4 years.

The program is in such a state of disarray at this point, that I almost don't mind if it takes a couple seasons to rebuild it the right way (think B. Jones in football). I'm through with trying to fix it with gimmicky systems and risky recruiting.

Reactions: 3 people

The 2015 class is a wash. Barnes will get who he gets in the short term, and focus on the long term. If there is a PG worth taking, and we can get him, then fine. If not, let Phillips, Punter, Bonds all take a shot at it.

He'll be crucified if he takes a Travon Landry, Wes Washpun, Daniel West type PG out of panic, and is married to a marginal player for possibly 4 years.

The program is in such a state of disarray at this point, that I almost don't mind if it takes a couple seasons to rebuild it the right way (think B. Jones in football). I'm through with trying to fix it with gimmicky systems and risky recruiting.

I understand and agree. But some of these folks sound pretty desperate. Patience is out of the question for many.

Don't you think it's interesting how we're recruiting two 'unproven' big men yet haven't even gotten a point guard on campus? To me, Alexander and Kasango are both projects. I would figure getting a decent point guard is the first step to having a good season. The fact is Alexander has been playing basketball for 2.5 years, while Kasongo averaged 17mpg in JUCO. Will they contribute eventually? Sure. But isn't that what we don't want, more projects?

Just from my standpoint, it seems silly to try and get Alexander and Kasongo when our number 1 priority should be to get a player to facilitate these big men.

And signing a freshmen PG doesn't make me feel any better, like Darius Thompson, he would he thrown into the whether he's ready or not.

Don't you think it's interesting how we're recruiting two 'unproven' big men yet haven't even gotten a point guard on campus? To me, Alexander and Kasango are both projects. I would figure getting a decent point guard is the first step to having a good season. The fact is Alexander has been playing basketball for 2.5 years, while Kasongo averaged 17mpg in JUCO. Will they contribute eventually? Sure. But isn't that what we don't want, more projects?

Just from my standpoint, it seems silly to try and get Alexander and Kasongo when our number 1 priority should be to get a player to facilitate these big men.

And signing a freshmen PG doesn't make me feel any better, like Darius Thompson, he would he thrown into the whether he's ready or not.

I would assume this is because there's a "big" difference between a project in the post and a project at PG, pun intended. [insert "you can't teach size" quote here]

Reactions: 1 person

I'm just not sure Rick Barnes feels he has to compete for an NCAA berth next season. Fans won't like to hear that, but it's the truth. This late in the game, unless you have some previous ties to unsigned elite recruits, then you get them in one of two ways: cheating, or taking a gamble on someone no one else was willing to risk.

Barnes probably sees Kasongo and Williams as two guys with loads of potential, and 3 and 4 years of eligibility respectively. He and his staff have a good history of developing post players, and he probably thinks he can coax some good seasons out of them in 2016-17 and beyond with a year of experience, weight-training, and good coaching. That would be a plan that is looking towards the future instead of the present. At this point, I'm fine with that.

If that means you pass on a PG that you aren't 100% sold on in favor of going all in on a few 2016 guys that you really covet, and with a wide-open path to immediate playing time to sell, then I'm okay with that too.

I'm tired of the patch jobs and quick fixes. They rarely work out, and I think Barnes knows that too. His approach certainly seems to be that with the future in mind at the cost of the present in hopes of building up a foundation.

I could be wrong, and he is just whiffing on the recruiting trail, but his resumé doesn't suggest that recruiting has ever been an issue, so I have to believe that he has a plan, and it would appear that plan is more focused on the future of the program rather than solely on the immediacy of next season.

But Barnes did say his goal this year was the NCAA tournament. Ole Miss got Stefan Moody to come in and save them, I don't think it's necessarily taking a risk. Barnes hasn't even had a PG visit Tennessee at all. No Anthony Collins (who would have been a great addition), no Dylan Ennis, no Andrew Rowsey (would have to sit) or any of the other grad-PGs have even visited. From the limited news released, it seems like Barnes is more worried in the paint then having a guy facilitate his PG-heavy offense.

I get it, plan for the future not the present. It will be a shame if we have to watch Phillips or Punter run PG. This next season is the foundation for the future, if we have a horrible season that will leave a bad taste in fans' mouths and the player's mouth imo.

Kasongo will be an immediate contributor, he's a guy who's physically ready for the SEC which is not something that could be said about Alexander. If you land Kasongo and Izundu I think those 2 guys split time at the 5.

As for a Pg, that is very likely true, but it's just part of where we are currently. Much like Butch did, we are gonna have to play some youth, and take our lumps, keep recruiting and developing and we should be in a good position in a year or two.

But Barnes did say his goal this year was the NCAA tournament. Ole Miss got Stefan Moody to come in and save them, I don't think it's necessarily taking a risk. Barnes hasn't even had a PG visit Tennessee at all. No Anthony Collins (who would have been a great addition), no Dylan Ennis, no Andrew Rowsey (would have to sit) or any of the other grad-PGs have even visited. From the limited news released, it seems like Barnes is more worried in the paint then having a guy facilitate his PG-heavy offense.

I get it, plan for the future not the present. It will be a shame if we have to watch Phillips or Punter run PG. This next season is the foundation for the future, if we have a horrible season that will leave a bad taste in fans' mouths and the player's mouth imo.

Every coach says that, CDT said the same thing before last season, it's coach speak.

Andy Kennedy didn't start recruiting Moody in April either though, and the pickings at PG especially are very slim. You have 2 graduate transfers in Ennis & Collins who may have been worth a spot, other than that you've got the 2 high school kids that he's currently targeting.

Believe it or not, you and I are in total agreement on this.

Yeah, I know he said that, but as BTO noted, so did Tyndall. It doesn't mean much, but of course that is always the "public" goal of a coach/team, realistic or not.

Moody was scooped up by Andy Kennedy in October, not April, and Kennedy wasn't less than a month on the job, taking over a barren roster on its 4th head coach in 6 seasons.

I can't blame Collins or Ennis for having little to no interest in spending their final season leading what is perceived nationally, right or wrong, as a dumpster fire. The door isn't shut on Rowsey yet.

I agree, that Punter and maybe Phillips (not ready to just assume he'll outright suck as a PG without knowing he'll play there or seeing him in action) running the point could be a disaster, but I'm not sure it would matter if we had Collins or Ennis either, because I think we struggle next year anyway. Fans might as well get used to that idea and let themselves be surprised if we overachieve.

I just see a team with no real strength or identity, and a lot of deficiencies. By all appearances, we have average talent and little depth in the post, not much in the way of accurate perimeter shooters, very few slashers, and no one of note to facilitate the offense. A player like Collins and Ennis (average players in their own right) weren't going to change a lot of that.

How about giving Braxton Bonds a shot at PG? High basketball IQ, led his team to 2 state championships. Pass first mentality. Has anybody seen him in action at practices?

How about giving Braxton Bonds a shot at PG? High basketball IQ, led his team to 2 state championships. Pass first mentality. Has anybody seen him in action at practices?

His jump shot isn't very good. Pretty quick with good handles though. I don't expect him to be a 10 ppg scorer but he could be a nice role player.

VN Store

Back