What Buck Fitzgerald said

I would be bummed at 8-4 that a poorly coached team underachieved once again.
Agreed. This team is definitely more talented and experienced than the team that was two fluke endings away from an 8 win season in 2010, and the schedule is much easier this year.

It strikes me as strange that it is the same people who were saying how amazing the defensive staff was last year are saying how much more amazing this one is and expect our defense to be "greatly improved" when implementing a new scheme.
To be fair, if they're implementing a new defense, I have to think Dooley has some confidence in the ability of the team and staff to pull off the 3-4 in year one. I don't think we would be seeing this kind of change if Dooley thought it was going to take more than a year to see results.

Concerning what he saw this offseason compared to last:

"I think the talent level is greatly improved at just about every level. I think the coaching staff is a lot better. I really think that they will have as much talent as anybody they play in the first 22 guys except Bama. On offense, they have a future pro at just about every position. Not many teams can say that. I think the defensive coaching staff is so much better now its crazy. And their mentality fits the players and whay they are trying to do on offense. They will be able to play complimentary football. I will be disappointed if they don't get to Atlanta at the end of the season. They don't have to win it, but I think with this better coaching staff, and better more mature players they should at least win the East."

Sure this isn't Buck Kelso?:toast:

Agreed. This team is definitely more talented and experienced than the team that was two fluke endings away from an 8 win season in 2010, and the schedule is much easier this year.

I wouldn't call the coaching staff sending 15 players on the field a "fluke"...

I get what you're saying though.

Reactions: 1 person
To be fair, if they're implementing a new defense, I have to think Dooley has some confidence in the ability of the team and staff to pull off the 3-4 in year one. I don't think we would be seeing this kind of change if Dooley thought it was going to take more than a year to see results.

Buck made a good point on that too

think if you look at the jump form 5 wins it seems like a stretch. But last year's team was better than 5 wins. Arky from last year may be the blueprint. Compete on defense but out-pace people on offense. Put up a number and dare teams to match it. Sal is the key. Bc he will play aggressively. People will score but they wont bleed you like LSU and Bama and other teams did last year. Thats what hurts an offense led team the most. Its not getting scored on, its getting scored on while not touching the ball but once a qtr.

It strikes me as strange that it is the same people who were saying how amazing the defensive staff was last year are saying how much more amazing this one is and expect our defense to be "greatly improved" when implementing a new scheme.

Too bad I wasn't on here last year to say how badly Wilcox SUCKED. Talking about a deer in the headlights. He still doesn't know what an SEC defense is and he was here for 2 years.

I would be bummed at 8-4. Underachieving IMO.

8-4 would be underachieving if we were hovering around that mark year in and year out and expecting a 11-1 or 10-2 season. With back to back losing seasons, 8-4 would not be underachieving. It would be achieving realistic expectations. Do we have the potential to win more than 8 games? Yes. Do I hope we win more than 8 games? Most definitely!

Reactions: 2 people
This team has B probably B+ talent but it all comes down to coaching and how the team gels together. No one really knows anything right now.

Too bad I wasn't on here last year to say how badly Wilcox SUCKED. Talking about a deer in the headlights. He still doesn't know what an SEC defense is and he was here for 2 years.

Thats very debatable.. Our D kept us in most games this year.

Thats very debatable.. Our D kept us in most games this year.

They also didn't get the other team off the field very often in the second half, allowing the O to have a chance. Hard to score points if you only touch the ball a couple times a half.

They also didn't get the other team off the field very often in the second half, allowing the O to have a chance. Hard to score points if you only touch the ball a couple times a half.

The offense sucked last year....3 and out 3 and out

When the O was going 3 and out the whole first half, eventually you will run out of gas

Reactions: 1 person
Forgot about both of those guys....rivera is grossly underrated and clear has the potential to be a monster

Thanx

No prob...They actually strengthen the point you was making. I agree. This offense has the potential to be scary.

Last edited:

I questioned Wilcox at times but think he's a good up and coming DC. I like CSS's comments but that's all we have to go on right now. Success against your own team in managed competition during the spring is not a basis to conclude better/worse.

Two words... Sims/Poole

Disagree. It wasn't the guys they had... but the guys they didn't have like... physically developed OL's, WR's that could block, a #2 WR after JH went down.

Poole proved he "could" be effective in '10. He was still UT's most effective RB all year and has apparently turned the heads of NFL scouts.

I will not defend Simms. He simply wasn't a good QB in any respect.

I will expect 7-5 anything greater is icing on the cake. Hope CDD has learned to be careful what he says to media about his players. While at first it was refreshing a coach so frank, I have the feeling some players were not happy about what the head coach said about them. I'm on the CDD bandwagon, he just has to win SEC games without the excuses, this is not a young team and we have depth. Now UT needs to beat someone in the SEC not named Kentucky or Vanderbilt period. I was excited before last season, my expectations have been lowered this season but it would sure be great to Atlanta for the SECCG. I'm not in anyway expecting that, but CDD must show he can beat an above 500 team in the SEC this season or his future is uncertain at best.

GO VOLS

Neal just isn't getting enough love. I think he's going to break out this year. Just needs to hold on to the ball

VN Store

Back